[net.pets] FLEAS AND ALLERGIES

daemon@decwrl.UUCP (11/14/83)

From: Ed Featherston  HL01-1/P06  225-5241 <roll::featherston>

 Begin Forwarded Message:

Newsgroup : net.pets
>From : GOLD::DZEKEVICH
SUBJECT: FLEAS AND ALLERGIES
I thought that I would pass this info on:  Our 11 month old puppy
(1/4 Newfy, 1/4 shepard, 1/4 std. poodle, 1/4 ????) was developing
a rash spot on her lower tummy.  We put some cream on it, but it slowly
kept on spreading.  It looked like an allergy spot, but not being sure,
we brought her to the vet.

He confirmed that she was having an allergy to flea bites, and that the
fleas this year were real buggers to kill.  Most of the common powders
won't dent them.  (We took he flea collar off several weeks ago.)

She got a shot of cortizone, and ended up taking 5 days worth of the
same in pill form.  (She gained some water weight, and slowed down,
just like people do after taking cortizone.)

MORALE:  Save the vet. bill, and put the flea powder (good stuff) and
collar on.  Many of those skin rashes you are seeing may be due to a
few too many flea bites.

Joe Dzekevich
Digital Equip.
GOLD::DZEKEVICH

		Mail address : ...decvax!decwrl!rhea!gold!dzekevich

 End Forwarded Message

kfb@hogpc.UUCP (K.BRAND) (11/29/83)

I had a similar experience with my dog being allergic to fleas.
Unfortunately it took a Vets bill to convince me.
I used a dog shampoo with flea killing ingredients and it worked
very well (except for the flooded bathroom).