[net.pets] Cat Leukemia

ljr@drutx.UUCP (RoybalL) (11/19/84)

My cat died a few months ago from "Cat Leukemia."

How long must I wait before getting another cat?

Thanks
Larry Roybal
ihnp4!drutx!ljr

jimb@amd.UUCP (Jim Budler) (11/26/84)

In article <> ljr@drutx.UUCP (RoybalL) writes:
>My cat died a few months ago from "Cat Leukemia."
>
>How long must I wait before getting another cat?
>
>Thanks
>Larry Roybal
>ihnp4!drutx!ljr

My Vet said at least 30 days.  Clean weel give the new pet defferent
food bowl, and bed, spray the most used habitats with disenfectant if
you think necessary.

I had three other cats in the house when mine died and none of them
came down with it.

Since you said "a few months ago"  you're probably safe already.
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron Howes) (11/26/84)

In article <drutx.1433> ljr@drutx.UUCP (RoybalL) writes:
>My cat died a few months ago from "Cat Leukemia."
>
>How long must I wait before getting another cat?

My sympathies.  I lost my 16-year-old last January to Feline Leukemia and
have another that seems to have plateaued in more-or-less Ok condition.

The minimum waiting time I've heard from reliable sources is 30 days.  If
I were you I'd probably wait longer to be sure.  I know one person who
waited a full year and has had no problem with her new kittens which have
now been living with her for a full year.  Here's hoping they find a
vaccine for this vile disease.  (For those who don't know, Feline Leukemia
is not a true Leukemia, but is more closely related to AIDS.)

--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

kolling@magic.ARPA (11/27/84)

Don't forget to get a new litter box as well.

rockefeller@oblio.DEC (11/28/84)

What are the symptoms of cat leukemia?

joe@ccice6.UUCP (Joseph J. DiBenedetto II) (11/29/84)

> Don't forget to get a new litter box as well.

mike@asgb.UUCP (12/11/84)

The recent discussion on cat leukemia reminded me that my vet told me
that a vaccine should be available about the first of the year.

Anybody heard any other info?

Mike Rosenlof                  ...hplabs!sdcrdcf!\
                                                  -bmcg!asgb!mike
                              ...allegra!sdcsvax!/
Burroughs Advanced Systems Group              Boulder, Colorado