[net.pets] miniblinds and cats

guest@hplabsb.UUCP (01/03/85)

I am interested in installing mini-blinds, probably
vertical ones, on a window with a couch near it. We have cats
who have destroyed the curtain, which is thin, flimsy and
seethru. They have attempted to climb the curtain chasing flys, etc.

My question is, do cats destroy mini-blinds? Does anyone
have experience with this? Any other suggestions besides moving
the couch?

Note: the cats have the front claws removed but are still
able to jump and climb using the back claws.

Please mail replies to the address below. I will summarize if there is demand.
Gigi Babcock ihnp4!hplabs!babcock

abc@brl-tgr.ARPA (Brint Cooper ) (01/06/85)

In article <2685@hplabsb.UUCP> guest@hplabsb.UUCP writes:
>I am interested in installing mini-blinds, probably
>vertical ones, on a window with a couch near it. We have cats
>who have destroyed the curtain, which is thin, flimsy and
>seethru. They have attempted to climb the curtain chasing flys, etc.
>
>My question is, do cats destroy mini-blinds? Does anyone
>have experience with this? Any other suggestions besides moving
>the couch?
>
>Note: the cats have the front claws removed but are still
>able to jump and climb using the back claws.

>Gigi Babcock ihnp4!hplabs!babcock

Last year, I learned from this newsgroup to "shoot" the cat with a water
pistol when he did something we really didn't want him to do (e.g.,
climb curtains).  It's not necessary to soak him; cats just don't like to be
wet.  A single "hit" will do.  Repeat as necessary, rarely more than 3
times.

Brint

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (01/08/85)

> Last year, I learned from this newsgroup to "shoot" the cat with a water
> pistol when he did something we really didn't want him to do (e.g.,
> climb curtains).

	I second that!  I read the same article.  My cat has
destroyed two chairs.  My wife's grandmother gave us a couch.
I was worried the cat would destroy it.  I kept a plant
sprayer bottle by the couch and nailed her about twice.
She has not touched the couch and it has been six months.

--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny - Personetics @ (408) 425-0382