[net.pets] miniblinds, cats, and water pistols

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (01/07/85)

> From: abc@brl-tgr.ARPA (Brint Cooper )
> Date: Sun, 6-Jan-85 00:24:11 EST

> Last year, I learned from this newsgroup to "shoot" the cat with a water
> pistol when he did something we really didn't want him to do (e.g.,
> climb curtains).  It's not necessary to soak him; cats just don't like to be
> wet.  A single "hit" will do.  Repeat as necessary, rarely more than 3
> times.

Some cats are more stubborn than others...  I've been trying for two weeks to
"persuade" my cat that the box spring of my bed is not her scratching post,
especially at 5:00 am.  And sure enough, she (usually) won't start clawing it
when I'm watching, especially if she sees the plant mister in my hand.  But as
soon as I roll over, *RIP*.

alle@ihuxb.UUCP (Allen England) (01/08/85)

Not all cats hate water.  I tried this (shooting them with water) and while
one of them would stop until I turned my back, the other enjoyed it.  In
fact, she'll even go sit out in the rain.  (I tried explaining to her that
cats hate water but I guess she doesn't believe it!)

Marguerite (*not* Allen)
...!ihnp4!iwpbd!maggie2

larryk@tektronix.UUCP (Larry Kohn) (01/09/85)

In article <1079@ulysses.UUCP> smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) writes:

>Some cats are more stubborn than others...  I've been trying for two weeks to
>"persuade" my cat that the box spring of my bed is not her scratching post,
>especially at 5:00 am.  And sure enough, she (usually) won't start clawing it
>when I'm watching, especially if she sees the plant mister in my hand.  But as
>soon as I roll over, *RIP*.

It might be your plant mister, if it doesn't spray a stream.  Our cat doesn't
mind mist, or even a light rain.  But a blast from a squirt gun sends him
running for a dry environment (usually to the living room couch where he'll
sit with a `see-how-nice-I'm-being' look of innocence).