[net.pets] cat leukemia vaccine

mike@asgb.UUCP (01/21/85)

I heard a piece on the news this weekend that the long awaited cat
leukemia vaccine is now available. I'd suggest you ask your vet about
it if interested.

The report said of all cats exposed to the virus, about 40% are immune
naturally, 30% become carriers and may be affected later themselves.
The remaining 30% become sick, and almost always die.  There's no cure
once the cats are sick.

The disease is passed from cat to cat primarily in urine and saliva.
The report said that outdoor cats are most succeptable.  A few months
ago, my cats' vet said he didn't consider it as important as the
rabies and respiratory disease shots, but is worthwhile for outside
cats (ours aren't).

If anybody can't find any info from their vet, send mail to me.  I'll
see if I can at least get the name and manufacturer of the vaccine.

Mike Rosenlof                     hplabs!sdcrdcf!\
                                     ihnp4!sabre!-bmcg!asgb!mike
              { ihnp4, ucbvax, allegra }!sdcsvax!/
Burroughs Advanced Systems Group              Boulder, Colorado

mike@asgb.UUCP (01/22/85)

Just a little more info on cat Leukemia.

I've seen another article which went into more depth about the new
vaccine.  Another point which I didn't mention in my previous posting
is that [the Vet who wrote the article] recommends a blood test before
the vaccine is given to the cat.

If the cat is free of the leukemia virus, the vaccine (a series of 3
shots, yearly booster) is safe and effective in protecting the cat
from the disease.  If the cat has the disease, and is showing clinical
symptoms, the vaccine won't help it.  If the cat has the virus, it may
be a carrier, or be in very early stages with no symptoms.  In this
latter case the vaccine may either build the immunity as desired, or
it may cause the cat to start showing the clinical symptoms - so it
could be a tough decision in that case.  Apparently the odds are about
even.

The author [he IS a vet giving these shots] stressed that in this
latter case, the vaccine doesn't CAUSE the cat to get sick, but
provides the extra stress to the cat's system that lets it get sick.

Mike Rosenlof                     hplabs!sdcrdcf!\
                                     ihnp4!sabre!-bmcg!asgb!mike
              { ihnp4, ucbvax, allegra }!sdcsvax!/
Burroughs Advanced Systems Group              Boulder, Colorado

wanttaja@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ronald J Wanttaja) (01/29/85)

The name of the vaccine is LEUKOCELL, from Norden Laboratories, Inc.  Vets
recommend that the cat be tested for Feline Leukemia prior to vaccination,
as the vaccine is ineffective if the cat is already carrying the virus (with
or wothout symptoms).

				       Ron Wanttaja
				       (ssc-vax!wanttaja)

rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (01/29/85)

It may be of some interest that cat breeders are taking a "wait and see"
attitude on the new FeLeuk vaccine.  Clearly they stand to gain from the
vaccine's existence, but there are some counterarguments (for now):

	- the vaccine is expensive, and the expense is a big deal if it's
	  not possible to buy it from standard vaccine suppliers as is
	  possible with other vaccines--especially if you've got a dozen
	  cats or so

	- catteries are generally free of FeLeuk and all cats are tested
	  regularly to ensure that.  Cats don't go outside and they
	  generally don't have contact with other cats except those which
	  have been tested also

	- the initial supply of vaccine is comparatively small and should
	  be allowed to go to the cats which are at greatest risk

	- it would be better to have more experience on a larger population
	  as to possible side-effects before taking any chances with cats
	  which are comparatively valuable (monetarily, but more
	  importantly, genetically)

I would expect breeders to hold off for perhaps a year or less if all goes
well, cost decreases, and supply/availability increases.
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...Never offend with style when you can offend with substance.

larryk@tektronix.UUCP (Larry Kohn) (02/02/85)

In article <1062@opus.UUCP> rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) writes:
>It may be of some interest that cat breeders are taking a "wait and see"
>attitude on the new FeLeuk vaccine.
>
>	- the vaccine is expensive, and the expense is a big deal if it's
>	  not possible to buy it from standard vaccine suppliers as is
>	  possible with other vaccines--especially if you've got a dozen
>	  cats or so

As an example of "expensive" my cat's vet (Aloha, OR) says, "Three in-
jections are required initially.  The first two ($23.50 and $12.50) are
given three weeks apart and the third ($12.50), three months later.
Your cat should then be given a yearly booster (price unknown), as with
the FVRCP vaccine."

dlp@akgua.UUCP (D.L. Philen [Dan]) (02/05/85)

   We had our cat "Phread" vaccinated for FeLV last weekend and got
a handy little blerb from the vet about the vaccine.

 "During 'Leukocell' field studies, injection occasionally caused minor
pain, and a few cats experienced lethargy and loss of appetite for
about a day after vaccination; vomiting, diarrhea, or systemic reactions were
infrequently noted.  Clinical tests cats given up to 50 times the amount
of vaccine contained in a normal dose showed no serious negative
side effects. ... Vaccination is recommended for healthy cats nine weeks of a
or older.  First-time vaccination requires two doeses given two to three
weeks apart and a booster dose given two to four months later.
After that, a single dose per year is recommended."

  Conversations with our vet produced the following:

 1.  FeLV is epidemic in the cat population.

 2.  The link with humans and FeLV is not known.

 3.  (Most Interesting)  The Centers for Disease Control here
in Atlanta is about to issue a report that finds that
vetinerians (sp?) have a statistically significant higher
percentage of leukemia than the general population.  Presumably
from animals such as cats.

 Now for my personal opinion!  If you are going to balk at the
cost then you have no business having the cat.  You and no one
else is responsible for its health.  You took in on when you
abopted it.  If you aren't going to provide for it then give
it to someone who will.  Cost! Have you looked at the cost
of chow.  Over a year you will spend significantly more than the
cost of the shots (especially if you have a dog or two -PuChee and Wolfie-
who like high protein cat food better than dog chow).
As for reactions of the cat, Phread went home, went outside,
ate chow, then slept the rest of the day.  ie. perfectly
normal behavior, no adverse reactions.  If you love your
animals the take care of them, get the shots!

   From the English Car nut:  Dan Philen, akgua!dlp

rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (02/13/85)

> In article <1062@opus.UUCP> rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) writes:
> >It may be of some interest that cat breeders are taking a "wait and see"
> >attitude on the new FeLeuk vaccine....
> >	- the vaccine is expensive, and the expense is a big deal if it's
> >	  not possible to buy it from standard vaccine suppliers ...
> As an example of "expensive" my cat's vet (Aloha, OR) says, "Three in-
> jections are required initially.  The first two ($23.50 and $12.50) are
> given three weeks apart and the third ($12.50), three months later.

We just got information that would allow us (i.e., breeders and experienced
catfolk who can do their own vaccinations) to order the vaccine in quantity
(lots of 50 doses) at $6 a dose.  That's what it costs for JUST the vaccine
in a little vial, DIY.  Three doses comes to $18 a cat, which is a lot
compared to other vaccines for cats.  It will come down in time, of course,
but my point is that it's pretty high even at the wholesale level.
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...Cerebus for dictator!