[net.pets] Fleas on Cats

mccamy@squirt.DEC (03/11/85)

From: "...decvax!decwrl!rhea!Squirt!McCamy"
Merrimack, New Hampshire

A friend of mine is having problems with fleas on her cats.  She heard
somewhere that giving the cats yeast would tend to keep fleas off of them.
Does anyone have any info. on this?

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron Howes) (03/13/85)

In article <1043@decwrl.UUCP> mccamy@squirt.DEC writes:

>A friend of mine is having problems with fleas on her cats.  She heard
>somewhere that giving the cats yeast would tend to keep fleas off of them.
>Does anyone have any info. on this?

This question has been asked so many times I suspect it ought to go into
the usenet Q&A posting...   The answer is no, it doesn't work.  Brewer's
yeast isn't bad for the cat, but it doesn't make the cat unpalatable to
fleas.  When it comes to getting rid of fleas, I'm an advocate of Sevin
Dust (available at most garden supply shops.)  If you are really concerned
about toxicity and the cat, there are any number of good and safe flea-control
compounds available at veterinarians.  I tend to avoid the OTC sprays or
dusts as they are usually ineffective (OTC = Over the Counter.)

--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch