[net.pets] weird cat behavior

cpt@hogpd.UUCP (C.THOMPSON) (03/21/85)

 have a cat that is about one year old, she has
recently started to cry, whine, and make lots
of noise, especially at night! I was wondering if
she could be in heat. I have never owned a cat before
so I'm not quite sure what to think of her behavior.
If she is in heat how long will it last?  What can I do
to make her more comfortable, outside of mating her?

                          Thanks in advance.
                                A.M.R.

lizard@druny.UUCP (GeigerL) (03/22/85)

>	If she is in heat how long will it last?  What can I do
>	to make her more comfortable, outside of mating her?

	Neuter her!

wanttaja@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ronald J Wanttaja) (03/22/85)

>  have a cat that is about one year old, she has
> recently started to cry, whine, and make lots
> of noise, especially at night! I was wondering if
> she could be in heat. I have never owned a cat before
> so I'm not quite sure what to think of her behavior.
> If she is in heat how long will it last?  What can I do
> to make her more comfortable, outside of mating her?

Yup, she's probably in heat, and about the only two things you can do
is spay or mate her.  Cats go into and out of heat continually, it seems,
so if the behavior annoys you, you'd best get her fixed.  One possible
option is a neutered male... although sterile, they can still, er, "go
through the motions" when pressed.

A funny aside ... at the Vet clinic where my wife works, someone called
with a similar complaint... a cat that just would no go out of heat.  The
technician who took the call suggested ... "stimulating" ... the cat with
a thermometer.  It worked!

And sixty days later, the cat had kittens... really!  The best part is the
kittens were named Hermes, Mercury, Celcius, and Quicksilver.  Some wandering
Tom had beat them to the draw, I suppose.

					   Ron Wanttaja
					   (ssc-vax!wanttaja)

cpt@hogpd.UUCP (C.THOMPSON) (03/25/85)

 would like to thank everyone for
being so helpful in giving me
information on my "weird cat behavior".

I would appreciate any information
now on a vet or animal shelter with
the services of spaying for an
inexpensive price.

Any help in this matter would be
appreciated.
Thanks again.

                         AMR

dube@oblio.DEC (Linda Dube - LTN1-1/F15 - 229-6321) (03/26/85)

Please, please, please have your cat spayed!  Mating her just to "make
her more comfortable" won't solve the problem; doing that will just
compound it.  Not only will you have to deal with this behavior
regularly if you mate her, but you'll also have to deal with the
results - lots of kittens.  Spaying her will solve the problem -
for all time.

Please consider spaying, for the sake of your cat, and for the sake
of all those (potentially unplaceable) unborn kittens.

Linda Dube
DEC, Littleton, MA

lrd@drusd.UUCP (L. R. DuBroff) (03/29/85)

>	Please consider spaying, for the sake of your cat, and for the sake
>	of all those (potentially unplaceable) unborn kittens.

and for the sake of those people in the world (I am one of them, and I
KNOW there are more of us out there) who are NOT cat lovers, and who see
nothing cute about populating the world with unwanted felines!

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (03/30/85)

I wish folks wouldn't assume that every cat
or dog HAS to be spayed or nutered.  There are some folks
who WANT kittens or pups.  We are not all running kennels.
And, we know whee the little ones will be going when they
are weaned.  I agree that if the pet is free to roam, it
should probably be nueterd, but some folks DO have plans
to have at least one litter.

I don't know if this is getting across, I just get
tired of seeing the "get it spayed no matter what"
line.  There are plenty of circumstances for which
someone may not wish to do this.  I am talking
about responsible pet owners, not those who just
don't give a hoot.  You can't reach them anyway.

I often find it hard to understand the reasoning
behind some of the pronouncements of the rabid
animal groups.  Alice Herrington, leader of the
Friends for Animals (or some such name) lives in
my town.  Her house has become a haven for rats
and mice to the point that it has become a health
hazard to the neighbors.  It has taken court orders
and health dept baiting to try and keep the
popululation down.  She says she is afraid other
animals might be poisoned by the bait.  Well, that
would not be a hazard if the rats and mice had not
gathered under her protection in the first place.

I have wandered afield here, but I would just
like to say that I love animals of all kinds
too.  I refuse to get all glassy eyed, however, and
try to see both sides of the problem.  I have
helped raise several litters of kittens (had a lot
of help from their mother) and enjoyed the experience
very much.  Also, I never had trouble finding good homes
for them when the time came.  Besides, as I do not at
this time have a cat, I want to be sure there will be
one available when I am ready to get one.  If all the cats
are spayed, I won't be able to find one:-).

Please, no flames, except perhaps about Alice.  There
are plenty of stories about this lady.
T. C. Wheeler

dff@aluxp.UUCP (FARNHOLTZ) (04/02/85)

> Please, please, please have your cat spayed!  Mating her just to "make
> her more comfortable" won't solve the problem; doing that will just
> compound it.  Not only will you have to deal with this behavior
> regularly if you mate her, but you'll also have to deal with the
> results - lots of kittens.  Spaying her will solve the problem -
> for all time.
>
> Please consider spaying, for the sake of your cat, and for the sake
> of all those (potentially unplaceable) unborn kittens.
>
> Linda Dube
> DEC, Littleton, MA

The spaying of your cat is a very good suggestion-it will most likely
change this type of behavior.As a member of an S.P.C.A., I can also
vouch for the fact of millions of unwanted cats and kittens already
existing.Even if you found homes for all in your litter, that would
be that many less possible homes for feline shelter residents.

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron Howes) (04/03/85)

In article <1163@pyuxa.UUCP> wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP writes:

> I wish folks wouldn't assume that every cat or dog HAS to be spayed
> or neutered.  There are some folks who WANT kittens or pups.  We are
> not all running kennels.  And, we know where the little ones will be
> going when they are weaned.  I agree that if the pet is free to roam,
> it should probably be neutered, but some folks DO have plans to have
> at least one litter.

If you want kittens or puppies, there are plenty to be adopted at your
local Humane Society or Animal Protection Society.  Unless you are
actively breeding animals, there is no reason to increase the population
and good reason to take in some of the many that are homeless.  You
don't really know where the offspring of your animal will be going.  If
you're like most, you advertise in the paper or give them away.   All
you really know is that you won't have to take care of them.  If the
ultimate owners let them go or don't take care of them that isn't
your responsibility, is it (a very sardonic :-).)

> I don't know if this is getting across, I just get tired of seeing
> the "get it spayed no matter what" line.  There are plenty of
> circumstances for which someone may not wish to do this.

Please name some, other than pedigreed breeding.

> I am talking about responsible pet owners, not those who just don't give a
> hoot.  You can't reach them anyway.  I often find it hard to
> understand the reasoning behind some of the pronouncements of the
> rabid animal groups.

Who is rabid?  I'm not even an anti-vivisectionist.  I just don't think
anyone is served by the current overpopulation of cats and dogs.  We
have plenty already that need homes and care.

> Alice Harrington, leader of the Friends for Animals (or some such
> name) lives in my town.  Her house has become a haven for rats and
> mice to the point that it has become a health hazard to the
> neighbors.  It has taken court orders and health dept baiting to try
> and keep the population down.  She says she is afraid other animals
> might be poisoned by the bait.  Well, that would not be a hazard if
> the rats and mice had not gathered under her protection in the first
> place.

What does this have to do with neutering cats and dogs?  Are you suggesting
that having her animals neutered caused the rats and mice to flock to her
protection?  It is precisely because I, like you, do not want to see
animals die of poisoning, starvation or the other attendant mishaps of
homelessness and neglect that I urge (if not insist on) neutering.  It
sounds to me as if Ms. Harrington is closer to your point of view than
mine. ("Let's not interfere with the creatures, they need to be happy too.")

> I have wandered afield here, but I would just like to say
> that I love animals of all kinds too.  I refuse to get all glassy
> eyed, however, and try to see both sides of the problem.  I have
> helped raise several litters of kittens (had a lot of help from their
> mother) and enjoyed the experience very much.  Also, I never had
> trouble finding good homes for them when the time came.  Besides, as I
> do not at this time have a cat, I want to be sure there will be one
> available when I am ready to get one.

Do you know where those kittens (now cats) are today?  Have they had
litters as well.  Could some of them be in the pound, or dead?  I don't
believe you do.  You're just dismissing the responsibility because you
were able to shift them off to others.  I repeat.  If you love animals
there are many that need adopting.  If this area is typical, the
Humane Society kennels are full to overflowing with many animals being
put to death each day.  If you can't adopt an animal, then make a
donation to your local HS or APS.  They need the money desperately.
--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch