[net.pets] Am I wierd or what?

cushner@ttidcb.UUCP (Jeffrey Cushner) (04/09/85)

>From: larryg@teklds.UUCP (Larry Gardner)
>Newsgroups: net.pets
>Subject: Re: am I weird?

This is really directed to the person who made the remarks.  I'm sure
the rest of you realize these facts, but then again......

>First let me say, that it was relayed to me that the dogs just
>should live outside, and their complaint was that my dogs just
>shouldn't live inside because it was "wrong" in their eyes.

Dogs should live inside and be allowed to play outside.  A dog is a
den animal and is used to living (sleeping) in a small confined space
with others.(I know, I know, a doghouse is a small confined space...)
The domesticated dog has a strong affinity for his/her pack (ie. humans)
An outside dog will only want to come inside to be with others.  Not
allowing this will only cause Anxiety, followed by all the other well-
known problems like barking, running away, chewing, etc..
It's true that many dog owners keep their dogs outside, but does he seem
all that happy and content?

Note: Having 2 or more outside dogs changes things considerably, since
they keep each other company BUT they still need frequent human interaction.

>They also complained about the dog hair.

Nobody said that taking care of a dog was the same as having a stuffed toy.
You have to work at it. Like I said before, Vacuum, Vacuum and, in this
case, during shedding season(s), once a day take your dog outside and
rub him/her down real good (with your hands) to loosen the fur and
use a shedding comb to take the leftover fur out.  If people complain,
they shouldn't have taken on the responsibility to begin with.

>o.k. to answer your other questions...the dogs used to be allowed
>on the couches (which were both mine) but I finally changed that
>rule and now they are not allowed on any furniture except my bed.

It's obviously too late for the writer to heed this advice, and I'm
sure she had problems during the transition of them being on and off
the furniture, but maybe it will help others.  When you get a puppy,
and you don't want him/her to be on the furniture when grown, DON'T
DO IT WHEN YOUNG!  This applies to all sorts of behavior like sitting
on your lap and sleeping in the bed. I KNOW it's hard to refuse a cute
little puppy, but you must or you're begging for trouble!

>Oh, they have also complained of the house smelling
>like dog (I personally like the smell of dogs).

I, myself, do not like the smell of dogs.  By this I mean the mangy
smell that some dogs have due to improper grooming and skin problems.
Also, many clients of mine complain about the urine smell that just
won't go away, no matter what rug shampoo they use.

To eliminate all but the healthy odors, which are barely none, since
dogs do not sweat under their fur, you might try to follow this advice.

1. Keep your dog clean - Adult dogs like to roll in unsavory substances.
2. Keep your dog's skin healthy - scaling and other skin irritation
   can open wounds allowing bacteria to multiply, causing skin odor.
3. Neutralize ALL urine with either vineger or commercial neutralizer
   as soon after the *accident* as possible.

>the dogs do not jump up on me but my 7 month old puppy has jumped up
>on people before.  She wont do it to me because she gets a good kick
>in the tummy (not hard, but it does the job).  I have told people
>to knee them but they don't like to do it.  So I guess I could
>use some suggestions on how to keep Ruby from jumping on others.

Kneeing is good.  Follow it, however, with the command sit, and follow
through until she does it before you give her any other attention.
And then, of course, praise.  She will think twice next time as to
whether she wants to be kneed or praised.

As far as others, set up a time in advance when friends will come over.
Have your dog on a lead for ten minutes before to get her used to it.
When your friends arrive, be prepared to jerk her back as soon as she
starts to jump, then make her sit.  By doing this a number of various
times, she'll learn what you expect.

>that's it,

That's it!  Good luck!  and No, I don't think you're wierd.

>thanks for the comments,

Thanks for asking!

>karen

Jeff

			  Jeff Cushner
			  Citicorp-TTI
			  Santa Monica CA
			  (213) 450-9111 x2273

			{vortex,philabs}!ttidca!ttidcb!cushner

* These comments do not necessarily reflect those of Citicor-TTI *
  (After all, what can a bank know about dog training?)

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (04/18/85)

Re the dog hair, cleaning, etc.: you get used to it. My wife keeps
referring to a cookbook she saw once (but which we don't happen to have):

"A Little Dog Hair In the Meringue Never Hurt Anyone"