[net.pets] Another strange cat story

emery@fluke.UUCP (04/04/85)

Here is another unexplained cat behavior story.  Our cat has two toys that
he is very fond of.  They are two small stuffed bunny rabbits.  He absolutely
loves these bunnies.  Before bedtime he brings his bunnies upstairs (one at a
time) to our bedroom where he sleeps.  The next morning, he brings both bunnies
downstairs in the same manner.  Well this isn't the strange part.  Every so
often, when no one is home, he will take one of his bunnies and drop it in
his water dish!  We don't know if he is mad at the bunny or if he wants bunny
to have a bath.  Compared to some of the other cat stories I have read on this
net, I should be thankful that this is as bad as it gets.  Has anyone had any
similiar experiences?  Or perhaps there are some expert cat psychologists out
there in net land that would care to suggest an explanation.  I'm all ears!
By the way, I believe he is mostly manx.

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron Howes) (04/05/85)

In article <1366@vax3.fluke.UUCP emery@fluke.UUCP writes:

>Here is another unexplained cat behavior story.  Our cat has two toys
>that he is very fond of.  They are two small stuffed bunny rabbits.  He
>absolutely loves these bunnies.  Before bedtime he brings his bunnies
>upstairs (one at a time) to our bedroom where he sleeps.  The next
>morning, he brings both bunnies downstairs in the same manner.  Well
>this isn't the strange part.  Every so often, when no one is home, he
>will take one of his bunnies and drop it in his water dish!  We don't
>know if he is mad at the bunny or if he wants bunny to have a bath.
>Compared to some of the other cat stories I have read on this net, I
>should be thankful that this is as bad as it gets.  Has anyone had any
>similiar experiences?  Or perhaps there are some expert cat
>psychologists out there in net land that would care to suggest an
>explanation.  I'm all ears!  By the way, I believe he is mostly manx.

Are you sure this cat is a he?  This sounds like compulsive nurturing
behavior.  It would be useful to know the age of the cat and whether
he(?) cleans the bunnies or when he lies down with them or what.

I suspect dropping the bunny in the water dish is an accident.  If
he spends the day cleaning them he probably gets fairly dried out, goes
over to the water dish and drops one in when he drinks.  I'd take him
to a vet and explain the behavior, if you have a doctor that spec-
ializes in small animals he might have an answer.
--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

martin@dciem.UUCP (Martin Tuori) (04/10/85)

emery@fluke wrote recently about a cat that carries two toy bunnies around.

One of our three cats likes to carry clothing around. She rarely does it
while we're at home; but when we return home, we often find miscellaneous
socks, and even sweaters lying in odd places around the house. Sometimes
she takes them down to the basement from the second floor; other times
she brings them up from the basement laundry area. I don't know
why she does it, and I don't know if, or how to stop the behaviour; so the
question is: which will happen first, we'll learn not to leave clothes lying
within her reach, or we'll teach her to carry only dirty laundry down to the
basement?
--
Martin Tuori
{allegra,decvax,duke,floyd,linus}!utzoo!dciem!martin

wersan@daemen.UUCP (John Slasher Wersan III) (04/24/85)

 emery@fluke wrote recently about a cat that carries two toy bunnies around.
                    ---and----
 Martin Tuori at {allegra,decvax,duke,floyd,linus}!utzoo!dciem!martin
 wrote about a cat that carries laundry around.

	I have one that might bring a laugh....

We (My family and I) have a blue point siamese, when it was about a
year old, I heard a noise coming from our foier, when I went to investigate
I found said cat running from the kitchen into the foier, jump into the air
and land on a jacket that either had fallen off or was HELPED off of the
banister(sp?), this in itself was quite amuseing, but that was not the end.
after the cat had skidded across the floor, it then proceded to pull the
jacket BACK into position!!.  It however did not last very long as the
cat made a slight miscalculation, and on its next jaunt across the floor
it skidded head firt into a wall. needless to say the cat has NEVER
done this again.

				Smart cat!

--
          		John Wersan