[net.pets] flea question

cushner@ttidcb.UUCP (Jeffrey Cushner) (05/03/85)

>From: megann@ihuxi.UUCP (Meg McRoberts)
>
>My 12-1/2 year old Lhaso has an enlarged heart (the beginnings of
>congestive heart failure).  The vet doesn't want her exposed to
>any chemicals, including a flea collar (even the good brands).  I
>have tried before to get her to eat brewer's yeast, without success.
>I'll try it again, but am not optomistic.  I noticed that the health
>food store has a "natural flea-collar" product.  Anybody have any
>experience with these?  Other suggestions?  Besides the general bother
>of fleas that noone wants, Mushie is allergic to flea bites and ends
>up on steroids and cortisone, which would be very problematic under
>the current conditions.
>
>Any suggestions out there?  Yes, I asked my vet, and she doesn't
>know if any of the natural products are effective.

I tried a few times to get my dog to eat Brewer's yeast, willingly, with no
success.  I now feed her the yeast in tablet form in the usual way dogs
take medication; placed in the back of the throat.

Luckily, she does like to chew up her Pet-tabs vitamins.  Did'ja ever
think how hard *that* would be to get her to swallow whole?

			 Jeff Cushner @
			 Citicorp-TTI
			 Santa Monica CA 90405
			 (213) 450-9111 x2273