[net.pets] claws

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (07/16/85)

**Choke on this, filthy lineeater**

>How old must a cat be befor it can be declawed?
>Larry Roybal

Check with your vet.  Different vets have different times that
they prefer.  Our vet goes for 6 months.

>>When it's dead!  Seriously, I can think of nothing crueler to
>>do to a cat (well, maybe a FEW things).

And why do you believe that it is cruel?  The operation is no more
cruel than spaying or neutering.  Vets do use anesthetic, you
know :-).  The cats are perfectly able to climb, as they have
their back claws.  And I can testify, from the experience of
trying to restrain a spooked declawed cat, that they can also
defend themselves QUITE WELL with teeth and back claws alone.
And I feed my cats enough that they do not need to hunt to eat.
(As a matter of fact, I have seen a declawed cat catch a mouse,
so it is still possible for them to catch food, if needed.)

>>With care and diligence,
>>I feel ANY cat can be trained to use a scratching post, and ONLY
>>a scratching post.  I have two cats, both indoors, who have never
>>harmed a single piece of furniture or drapes.
>>Scott

We have 5 cats.  They spend probably 30% of their time outside.
Three of them were kittens of one of the two older cats, and so
were "in training" to be sociable housemates at the same time.
Since we work during the day, and live in a good-sized house,
there is no way that we could watch all kittens all of the time
in order to train them.  I have never had a cat show any interest
in a scratching post (and I have tried, with "care and diligence").
But climbing the drapes was one of the first things our 3 smaller
kittens discovered.

Declawing a cat beats not doing so, then discovering that the
cat simply cannot be kept indoors, and having to give it up.
Also, there are apartments which will not take cats unless they
are declawed.  I recommend it, especially if you have several cats.
--

                                     Sue Brezden

Real World: Room 1B17                Net World: ihnp4!drutx!slb
            AT&T Information Systems
            11900 North Pecos
            Westminster, Co. 80234
            (303)538-3829

Send lawyers, guns, and money...
                                           -Warren Zevon

scott@hou2g.UUCP (N. Ersha) (07/16/85)

[...some comments about having cats declawed...]

> And why do you believe that it is cruel?

Fine.  I'll be right over with my Doctor and we'll remove
your fingernails.  Don't worry, though; he'll use plenty
of anasthetic.

> The operation is no more cruel than spaying or neutering.

This is probably true, but I know of no instance where anyone
has trained a cat NOT to have kittens, or spray smelly
urine all over the house.

> The cats are perfectly able to climb, as they have
> their back claws.

According to vets, scratching is one of the best, and the most natural
exercises for the cat.  Now, unless you can get the cat to stand on
its head to use the back claws, you've removed (sic) this option.

> And I can testify, from the experience of trying to restrain
> a spooked declawed cat, that they can also defend themselves
> QUITE WELL with teeth and back claws alone.

But what about other cats, or larger mammals?  I don't know for
sure if a declawed cat is in any REAL danger, but I do know the
way they kill an opponent is by GRASPING with the front claws,
and gutting with the back ones.  A declawed cat can't "get a grip".

> Since we work during the day, and live in a good-sized house,
> there is no way that we could watch all kittens all of the time
> in order to train them.  I have never had a cat show any interest
> in a scratching post (and I have tried, with "care and diligence").

I was hardly ever home with my two.  Perhaps we just have different
training methods (and obviously different cats--that CAN make a
difference).  I used a plant spritzer to spray them with water
each time I caught them "attempting" something.  No warning, just
water--they soon began to associate the spray with the "object of
their desire".  As for the post, I recommend denim material, and
spray it with catnip extract.

> But climbing the drapes was one of the first things our 3 smaller
> kittens discovered.

Actually, the first thing both my kittens discovered was my legs :-).

Seriously, while there are always going to be cases where the cat is
untrainable, I feel the best thing is to leave them to their claws.

>                       Sue Brezden

			Scott Berry

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (07/17/85)

In article <3253@drutx.UUCP> slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) writes:
>And why do you believe that it is cruel?  The operation is no more
>cruel than spaying or neutering.  Vets do use anesthetic, you
>know :-).

I was wondering, has anybody noticed that declawed cats are more likely
to bite when you're just trying to be friendly?  It's somewhat startling
to have a cat come up to you begging for stroking, you oblige, and then
it bites you.  It's only happened to me with declawed cats.  Some of
my friends don't have their cats declawed precisely because of this -
the cat ends up much more likely to use their other sharp pointy objects
on you.
--
Chris Lewis,
UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis

karen@randvax.UUCP (Karen Isaacson) (07/20/85)

> Seriously, while there are always going to be cases where the cat is
> untrainable, I feel the best thing is to leave them to their claws.
> 			Scott Berry

Let me second this.  My vet refuses to declaw cats unless it has reached
the point where either the claws go or the cat goes.  If mine had
refused to learn, I would have tossed them out during the day to take
their chances with cars & dogs rather than declaw them.  (Probably that
would be the cats' choice if I could ask them!)  I have had all my
cats neutered and although they come home from the vet a little, shall
we say, under the weather, they have not been in pain.  On the other
hand, cats I have seen that have been recently declawed literally
scream with agony.  I hope the person contemplating declawing their
(nice genderless pronoun - see net.women) cats will instead try to
find them a new home with people who love cats rather than consider
them part of the interior decoration scheme.  Sorry if this sounds
like a flame - I believe declawing to be incredibly cruel.
--

		Karen Isaacson
		decvax!randvax!karen

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (07/22/85)

>Some veterinarians actually feel that declwaed cats undergo changes in
>their personality, often becoming defensive and vicious because the
>cats have lost their main defense.

I saw no changes with the current crop of cats we have.
I did see a personality change with one we had several years ago.
He was a mean, antisocial cat, who was absolutely terrified of the
outdoors.  We had him declawed at the ripe old age of 6 for two reasons.
First, the place to which we were moving required declawing.  Second,
it was almost impossible to hold him, as he would claw while kneading
your lap.  He also did a lot of scratching.  I was never able to interest
him in a post.  We moved 500 miles and had him declawed within the same
2 weeks.  I felt bad about it, assuming that he would be REALLY weird
now.  Instead, he straighted up--became a loving, quiet, outdoor-loving
cat.  That was the first cat I ever had declawed, and I was very pleased.
I had not wanted to do it in the first place, having listened to the
anti-declawing side for years.  Afterwards, I realized how little pain
was involved, and how much nicer it is to have a declawed cat around.
Two of our cats since came to us declawed.  They are very normal, and
not at all vicious.  The three kittens came next, and we had them declawed
because we could not get them interested in a post, nor watch them all
the time.  They also are normal, loving cats.

I had many cats before that, none declawed, and saw more vicious behaviour
in them than in our current set.  If declawing causes such behaviour,
then I sure haven't seen it!

>>I have had all my
>>cats neutered and although they come home from the vet a little, shall
>>we say, under the weather, they have not been in pain.

I think you are trying to kid yourself.  Cats that are acting "under
the weather" are probably in pain.  You are saying, "I could not
cause my pet pain, therefore neutering is not painful."  It is.
Our cat that was spayed was in pain for a week, (she could not jump
into a high chair, for instance, a good indication) and the ones that were
neutered were in pain for a few days.  Cats don't have to yowl to show
pain.  (Although our spayed cat did--especially at night.) (Note, this
is not a remark against spaying and neutering.  Pain is a part of life,
and spaying and neutering are necessary to prevent more pain--i.e. the
death and pain of kittens that cannot be supported.)

>>On the other
>>hand, cats I have seen that have been recently declawed literally
>>scream with agony.

What vet did the declawing?  My advice is to change vets.  None
of our cats were in any visible pain after declawing, except for
the first day.  By "visible pain" I mean what you meant by "under the
weather".  By the second day they were leaping around, and going
outside again.  In other words, there was less pain for them than
with neutering, and a LOT less than with spaying.  By the way, the 6-year
old cat showed even less discomfort, something which surprised me.

We all cause some pain in others, I'm afraid.  Sometimes it is worth
it.  I think, after having cats both with claws and not, that declawing
can indeed be worth it.  You may certainly disagree--I would not have
believed it 5 years ago.

--

                                     Sue Brezden

Real World: Room 1B17                Net World: ihnp4!drutx!slb
            AT&T Information Systems
            11900 North Pecos
            Westminster, Co. 80234
            (303)538-3829

        Your god may be dead, but mine aren't.

jml@drutx.UUCP (LeonJM) (07/23/85)

Our cat is not declawed and has never had any inclination to do harm to anything
except the scratching post and a couple of corners (potential mouse holes).  If
a cat is to be let outside for any length of time, unwatched, it should not be
declawed.  Declawed cats may be able to defend themselves purrfectly fine
against humans, but are no match for other cats with claws.

John Leon AT&T ISL Denver ihnp4!drutx!jml