[net.pets] Question of Large Aquarium Aeration

stadlin@hou2h.UUCP (Art Stadlin) (08/08/85)

What follows is my original question about aquarium aeration,
and the responses I received.  Thanks to those who took the time
to give me some hints and techniques.  Based on your comments,
I've decided to get an EHEIM pump/filter this Winter.
  \\\
   \\\\                                  Art Stadlin
    \\\\\\________!{akgua,ihnp4,houxm}!hou2h!stadlin

ORIGINAL POSTING:

QUESTION:   Can I use an air compressor to provide the aeration I need
            to provide to my aquarium?  Is the air clean enough for fish
            to breath?  How do you experienced tropical fish hobbiests
            aerate your large (over 100 gallon) tanks?

BACKGROUND: I have an 80 gallon tank.  Air is supplied by about 5
            Whisper pumps.  These pumps cost about $20/each.

            I am considering adding a 200 to 250 gallon tank for larger
            fish.  If I bought common aquarium pumps, I'd probably
            spend over $200 for enough air supply.   For about the
            same price, I could buy a 3/4 horsepower air compressor
            with storage tank,  which I could also use for
            spray painting, etc.

If I get more than three responses, I'll summarize for net.pets.

END OF RESPONSES.
--
  \\\