[net.pets] Electronic Dog Training collars

brett@ucla-cs.UUCP (08/13/85)

I am still very interested in any information I can get
about these collars that can be used for training.
They have a remote control box and deliver a mild
shock when your dog doesnt come off-leash (after you
press the button).  I received no responses on my first
posting.

--
Brett Fleisch
University of California Los Angeles

brett@ucla-cs.ARPA or
soon to be:  brett@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
{...sdcrdcf, ihnp4, trwspp, ucbvax}!ucla-cs!brett

jak@whuxlm.UUCP (Keegan Joan) (08/16/85)

> I am still very interested in any information I can get
> about these collars that can be used for training.
> They have a remote control box and deliver a mild
> shock when your dog doesnt come off-leash (after you
> press the button).  I received no responses on my first
> posting.

I do not have first-hand experience with these collars.  I have been trying
for the past few years to put a CD title on my dog (a willful but
intelligent Airedale Terrier).  I have taken both group and private
lessons.  His problem is that he will not stay (1 or 3 minutes, as required,
in group sit/down exercises).  He likes to "visit" his neighbors.  It was
suggested to me that I use an electric collar to get him to stay.  At this
point I began to seriously think about WHO this degree was for, and how far I
was willing to go to get it.  The CD title does not mean enough to me to
inflict pain (however minor) on my dog.  I am not working him right now;
maybe he will calm down as he gets older, and we'll try again.
I can't tell you what to do; I'm only offering my feelings on this topic.
I also have heard that these collars are not cheap.  If there are obedience
training clubs in your area, give them a call; maybe you can borrow one.

If you just need help on the recall ("come"), I would suggest two things:
try getting a long line (15'-30'), and, as you call him, tug on the line.
If the line is light enough, he probably won't even know it's there, and will
feel he is offlead.  Of course, tons of praise whenever he comes in will
help!  The other thing I would suggest (a controversial
topic in obedience training) is using food.  This worked for me when negative
reinforcement failed.  Of course, you can't use food in competition, but
by then the behavior should be engrained.

I'd be interested in discussions about training methods, and any suggestions
someone might have on how to get MY dog to STAY (he's fine at home, it's
only when he's lined up with other dogs!)

Joan Keegan
AT&T-Bell Labs
..!whuxlm!whuxlg!jak

marauder@fluke.UUCP (Bill Landsborough) (08/21/85)

In article <6559@ucla-cs.ARPA> brett@ucla-cs.UUCP writes:
>I am still very interested in any information I can get
>about these collars that can be used for training.
>They have a remote control box and deliver a mild
>shock when your dog doesnt come off-leash (after you
>press the button).  I received no responses on my first
>posting.
>
>--
>Brett Fleisch

I have also thought about buying one to train my hunting dogs.  However I
hesitate only because of the cost.  But if I do buy one it will have both
tone and shock which is a little more expensive but worth it. The instructions
teach the trainer to always beep the tone first then the shock.  This teaches
the dog that the beep precludes a shock.  Then soon he will be conditioned
to react to the beep and the shock will no longer be necessary except for
an occasional zap when he thinks you've sold the thing.
   It is a neat tool for all outdoor dogs, especially hunting dogs.  Nothing
is more frustrating than to be out on opening day with "hunting dogs" which
are at a full gallop chasing your game away at 200 yards off.  People have shot
their dogs for less and it is not the dogs fault, its the trainer who does
not use proper dicipline on his animals.
   By the way, electric fences are also great!  If you have a problem keeping
any animal,(dogs, cats, horses, or cattle), electric fence is the HOT :-)
setup.  Pretty soon, all you need is to string the wire and they will
stay away from it for a month or two.  We line our pasture, garden and fussy
neighbors flower beds.

--

"Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not
arrogant or rude... Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all