[net.pets] Training dogs

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (08/17/85)

>jak@whuxlm.UUCP (Keegan Joan) writes:
>The other thing I would suggest (a controversial
>topic in obedience training) is using food.

I am a cat person myself, so I don't know much about obedience
training (since cats don't obey by nature :-).  This interested
me.

Why is using food controversial?

--

                                     Sue Brezden

Real World: Room 1B17                Net World: ihnp4!drutx!slb
            AT&T Information Systems
            11900 North Pecos
            Westminster, Co. 80234
            (303)538-3829

        Your god may be dead, but mine aren't.

jak@whuxlm.UUCP (Keegan Joan) (08/19/85)

> I am a cat person myself, so I don't know much about obedience
> training (since cats don't obey by nature :-).  This interested
> me.
>
> Why is using food controversial?
>

> --
>
>                                      Sue Brezden

One reason I remember hearing is that, if you use food to train your
dog, they will ONLY work if you use food.  I have not found this to be the case.
Even if I only reward my dog with food some of the time, he does the right thing
the rest of the time too.  (He always gets lots of praise whenever he does the
right thing).  I attended a seminar once on dog training by Charlotte Schwartz
(she does a lot of obedience training and tracking in NJ), and her theory is
that rewards for a dog are food and sex, and you can't give them the latter!?!
Anyway, I think the trainers who believe in using food tend to lean more
toward positive reinforcement than negative.  Those that don't use food
seem to go in for lots of jerking on training collars, ear pinching, prong
collars, etc.  I don't want to generalize too much, my experience is still
limited.

Joan Keegan
AT&T-Bell Labs
..!whuxlm!whuxlg!jak

ayers@convexs.UUCP (08/21/85)

/* Written  7:33 am  Aug 19, 1985 by jak@whuxlm.UUCP in convexs:net.pets */
One reason I remember hearing is that, if you use food to train your
dog, they will ONLY work if you use food.  I have not found this to be the case.
/* End of text from convexs:net.pets */

You may indeed have heard this, but the reason usually given is that if you
reward with food, the dog MAY not respond if it has found something else
more interesting...

This is only important if your dog is in a dangerous situation -- like
within 100 ft of a road, another dog, strangers, etc...

			Well, that's one mystery less...

				blues, II

cushner@ttidcb.UUCP (Jeffrey Cushner) (08/21/85)

 Dogs work wonderfully on praise.  Being a pack animal, dogs have inbred
 in them a strong social structure which revolves around dominance,
 submission and knowing their place in the pack hierarchy.

 Social communication within the pack is based on a complex series
 of expressions, body movements and actions.  These, combined, relate
 correction, praise, affection, etc.

 It is the NATURAL way in which dogs communicate and function within
 their family unit.  When you take a dog into your home, this is, to your
 dog, his or her pack.  Instinctively, he will attempt to fit in as best
 he can.

 He asks for only a few things:

   - To be fed
     domesticated dogs usually never get the chance to hunt, in the wild,
     for their food.

   - To be treated fairly (in a canine way).
     This means not being overly corrected (or overly praised, also)
     or LEFT OUT OF THE PACK'S LIFE (ie. outside, by himself)

   - To know his place in the pack
     This is done by proper correction, praise and training.

 By bribing your dog with treats, you are shortcutting this essential
 social interaction which is designed to keep the pack together and
 your dog loyal to you.

 Your dog needs to eat and "performing" is one way to get food that
 he likes.  He doesn't, however, view it as gratitude from the person
 for being good.  He views it as a way to get food. Period.

 This accomplishes nothing for the pack (or in this case family) unity.
 He might even start demanding that he gets it (or in other words, start
 thinking himself dominant.)

 In training for the breeding show ring, dog handlers often give their
 charges treats while trotting them.  The treats are usually kept in
 the handler's left pocket, close the the dog's head.  In this form
 of baiting, the dog's head is kept up in the air, close to the pocket,
 because he expects the treat to come to it.  To the show judge, it
 looks better because with the head up in the air, it gives the dog
 a better appearance.

 When you are showing a dog for breed, obviously, you are concerned
 with winning, and money to be gained from selling the show dog or
 his or her puppies.  Baiting like this works.  But, I am not talking
 about an artificial construct of humanity, as are dog shows.  I am
 talking about the lifestyle of dogs within our family structure.

 Many obedience trainers tell their clients to bait their dogs, so they
 work better for them, both in home and in shows.  I, myself, dislike
 the practice, since, after the show they are still your pets.

 I approve of treats in these cases:

   - To get a dog used to a new environment such as a crate or a doghouse.

   - To give a treat to your dog for no reason other than you love him.
     By this I mean no performing, without his prior knowledge; just give
     him one every once in a while.

   - Every once in a while, it becomes necessary to give a dog a treat
     in a special instance but it is needed so infrequently that it
     is not worth pointing out here.

 For cats and other animals who do not work for praise as much as dogs,
 to be trained, usually must be given treats as positive reinforcement.
 So it is quite common to see dolphins, seals, etc. working for their
 "pay" since food is a powerful incentive.

 So if you own a cat and want him to perform behaviors, treats are fine,
 but if you own a dog, think about what I've related here.

	 Sorry for the length, but it takes so much energy to climb up
	 on my soapbox sometimes that I feel I must stay up longer.

			 Jeff Cushner @
			 Citicorp-TTI
			 Santa Monica CA 90405
			 (213) 450-9111 x2273

	      {randvax,trwrb,vortex,philabs}!ttidca!ttidcb!cushner

    ** The above comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of   **
    ** Citicorp-TTI and if the corporation wants them to, they'll have **
    ** to pay through the nose for the rights!                         **

notch@srcsip.UUCP (Michael k Notch) (08/25/85)

In article <811@whuxlm.UUCP> jak@whuxlm.UUCP (Keegan Joan) writes:

>> Why is using food controversial?
>>
>>                                      Sue Brezden
>>
>One reason I remember hearing is that, if you use food to train your
>dog, they will ONLY work if you use food.  I have not found this to be the case.
>Even if I only reward my dog with food some of the time, he does the right thing
>the rest of the time too.  (He always gets lots of praise whenever he does the
>right thing).
>
>Joan Keegan
>AT&T-Bell Labs
>..!whuxlm!whuxlg!jak

I have a lot of experience with dogs and I know that if you give a dod food
they will obey you again thinking they will get food again. If you do not give
them food everytime, they will eventually get "grumpy" and "irritable" and
not listen to you anymore. This has happened to me already.

The best way to train a dog is to use a constant voice(usually low and no
emotion) and a training collar. After awhile, you do not need the callar
because the dog will respect your authority. The more constant you keep
your voice when giving orders to the dog, the better, because he/she will
know when you are talking to him/her.

After he/she performs what you ask them to do, give them lots of praise
so that they know that what they did was right.

Sorry for going so long.

--
    But...   What about Naomi?

USENET:   ihnp4!umn-cs!srcsip!notch
US-SMAIL: Michael k Notch (The small k is on purpose)
 	   MN17-2349   [1-612-378-5338]
 	   Honeywell Inc. Systems & Research Center
	   2600 Ridgeway Parkway NE
	   Minneapolis, Minnesota 55440