[net.pets] ingeunal hernias

joe@ccice6.UUCP (Joe DiBenedetto II) (09/03/85)

I was wondering if anybody out there has had the experience with any of there
new puppies having an inguenal hernias. I heard that it is a pretty serious
thing in dogs(males) and be not used for breeding purposes. What kind of
problem can it cause in females (bitches) if not taken care of ?

My understanding is that it is some kind of tare in the uterian lining and
has to be repaired. If the tare is small enough it could fix itself, but
maybe not. The problem us usually fixed at 6 months of age they tell me

Is this problem herditary also. If I were to pick a puppy as a show propect and
the backbone of my Tibetan breeding should I buy this puppy if she is super or
just look for another puppy. I am not sure. Any body knowing about this
kind of hernia let me know as soon as you can, your help would be appreciated
at this time.

				Joe D.
				ccice6:joe

wjr@x.UUCP (Bill Richard) (09/06/85)

This is STella Calvert, not wjr.  But you can reach me via decvax!frog!wjr.
I'm a guest here, myself.

In article <386@ccice6.UUCP> joe@ccice6.UUCP (Joe DiBenedetto II) writes:
>I was wondering if anybody out there has had the experience with any of there
>new puppies having an inguenal hernias. I heard that it is a pretty serious
>thing in dogs(males) and be not used for breeding purposes. What kind of
>problem can it cause in females (bitches) if not taken care of ?

I don't know much about dogs, but I'm a person who's had inguinal hernias.
The testicles start out inside, near where my ovaries are now.  There has
to be a path for them to get outside.  Therefore there is supposed
to be a little clearance between two muscles through which the testes can
migrate toward the scrotum.  However, sometimes the muscles are too weak, or
too widely separated, and not only can the testes migrate, but loops of bowel
can force their way out.  This produces a lump under the skin.  If the bowel
then gets twisted, so that it's closed off, it's a major emergency.

>maybe not. The problem us usually fixed at 6 months of age they tell me

In people, at least, its not a VERY major operation -- I walked the
afternoon of the operation, and went home a few days later.

>Is this problem herditary also. If I were to pick a puppy as a show propect

I truly don't know.  I and my mother both have had inguinal hernias, but my
sister didn't.  I would probably choose another pup if no-one on the net can
give you better info.  I don't know if it's hereditary or not.  But my mom did
have trouble in the last trimester of pregnancy because of the extra weight
and pressure.

				STella Calvert
				(guest on ...!decvax!frog!wjr)

		Every man and every woman is a star.