[net.pets] cats and appartments

steve@micomvax.UUCP (Steve Grice) (08/19/85)

Hi there,

     I was wondering if any of you fellow cat lovers out there could
give me some advice...

     My parents have moved into a high-rise appartment, after living
in a house in a suburban neighbourhood. They own 1 cat, 8 years old,
black persian, independent but with an even temperament.

     This summer the cat is left up at the cottage, but this
winter he will have to be brought to the appartment because of
the cold weather we have here.

     My mother is worried about how he will react to the appartment
and wether it will be safe for the cat on their balconey.

     I would appreciate hearing any experiences or suggestions that will
give us some help.

Thanks in advance...

Please mail replies and I will summarize to the net if requested

--

Steve Grice
philabs!micomvax!steve

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (08/26/85)

In article <497@micomvax.UUCP> steve@micomva.UUCP (Steve Grice) writes:
>     My mother is worried about how he will react to the appartment
>and wether it will be safe for the cat on their balconey.
>
>Please mail replies and I will summarize to the net if requested

I tried to mail this, but it didn't work.

We let our cats on our apartment balcony until one of them tried
chasing his tail while standing on the railing.  He didn't fall
off, but it was a close call.

		charli

rer@vaximile.UUCP (R.RICHARDSON) (08/27/85)

In article <497@micomvax.UUCP> steve@micomva.UUCP (Steve Grice) writes:
>     My mother is worried about how he will react to the appartment
>and wether it will be safe for the cat on their balconey.
A good friend of mine let his cat out on the (5th floor) balcony of
his condo.  The cat has fallen twice now.  Once onto a foot of snow,
and once onto bare ground.  The cat's still alive, and the vet has
gone into retirement, a very wealthy man from treating the cat's
injuries.  Cat's do not seem to grasp that the little birdie that
looks delicious way down there is going to live longer than the cat
thinks!

kitten@hao.UUCP (08/29/85)

> In article <497@micomvax.UUCP> steve@micomva.UUCP (Steve Grice) writes:
>      My mother is worried about how he will react to the appartment
> and wether it will be safe for the cat on their balconey.
> A good friend of mine let his cat out on the (5th floor) balcony of
> his condo.  The cat has fallen twice now.  Once onto a foot of snow,
> and once onto bare ground.  The cat's still alive, and the vet has
> gone into retirement, a very wealthy man from treating the cat's
> injuries.  Cat's do not seem to grasp that the little birdie that
> looks delicious way down there is going to live longer than the cat
> thinks!

**
Might I suggest lining the balcony with chicken wire, or perhaps
some decorative wire fence material.  I've seen this done often
on baconies with kitties peeking down with no way of falling.
Just be careful that the wire will *stay* attached, top and bottom.

9234dwz@houxf.UUCP (Head Roach) (09/02/85)

-->hao!kitten writes ......
-->Might I suggest lining the balcony with chicken wire, or perhaps
-->some decorative wire fence material.  I've seen this done often
-->on baconies with kitties peeking down with no way of falling.
-->Just be careful that the wire will *stay* attached, top and bottom.
-->

   This may be of some help, but any cat (or kitten over 9 weeks) is going
to be able (and want to) get higher than the floor level of the balcony,
ie the top of the guard rail.
A mistimed jump or a slippery surface and .
                                           .
                                           .
                                           .
                                           .
                                           .
                                           *

  A fully enclosed screen is the only sure way to keep
kitty at a height condusive to extended good health.
This also extends usable living area.

    Dave Peak
    @  ihnp4!hotel!dxp

"All the net's a stage and all the men and women merely ham actors !"
- Rev Peak (apologies to Bill S.)

liz@tove.UUCP (Liz Allen) (09/06/85)

In article <132@vaximile.UUCP> rer@vaximile.UUCP (R.RICHARDSON) writes:
>A good friend of mine let his cat out on the (5th floor) balcony of
>his condo.  The cat has fallen twice now.  Once onto a foot of snow,
>and once onto bare ground.  The cat's still alive, and the vet has
>gone into retirement, a very wealthy man from treating the cat's
>injuries.  Cat's do not seem to grasp that the little birdie that
>looks delicious way down there is going to live longer than the cat
>thinks!

I'm surprised to hear this (and other similar notes on the net).
I lived in an apartment with a balcony (4th floor) and never had
any problem with the cats on the balcony.  Even the kittens that
I had at one point, once they were old enough to be wandering on
their own, did not seem likely to fall off -- unless they were
playing around and not paying any attention.

I guess, though, with so many stories to the contrary, it would be
a good idea to watch your cats carefully on the balcony before
assuming they'll have enough sense to be careful.....
--
Liz Allen    U of Maryland   ...!seismo!umcp-cs!liz   liz@tove.ARPA

"This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you:  God
 is light; in him there is no darkness at all" -- 1 John 1:5

suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) (09/13/85)

> I lived in an apartment with a balcony (4th floor) and never had
> any problem with the cats on the balcony.  Even the kittens that
> I had at one point, once they were old enough to be wandering on
> their own, did not seem likely to fall off -- unless they were
> playing around and not paying any attention.
>
> I guess, though, with so many stories to the contrary, it would be
> a good idea to watch your cats carefully on the balcony before
> assuming they'll have enough sense to be careful.....

	agreed

> Liz Allen    U of Maryland   ...!seismo!umcp-cs!liz   liz@tove.ARPA

Several years ago my cats and I lived in Germany. Our
apartment was on the third (top) floor. There were four (counting
our own) stories from our balcony down to the ground since
there was a basement at ground level on that side of the
building. We had skylights that opened onto the roof. The
cats, Blackie, particularly, liked to climb out a skylight
on one side of the roof peak bask in the sun for a while, or
whatever, and come crying to be let in at the skylight on the
other side of the roof peak.

Another interesting note. We were in the only attic apartment.
The stair landing was small, with no place for a stray cat to
hide. No possible way to sneak in the apartment door. No way
onto the roof except from the skylights in our apartment. I
was in my room when all of a sudden I heard a lot of very loud
YOWLing. "Oh my gosh, what have the cats done now?!" I rushed
into the living room to see a strange cat facing down two of
my cats (the third was hiding under and behind the sofa). As I
walked into the room my cats began to chase the intruder cat
around the apartment and out onto the balcony. He leapt to the
balcony railing and disappeared. I rushed to see what had
happened to him, but he wasn't in sight, anywhere! I went
downstairs expecting to find him splattered somewhere on the
ground (even though I should have been able to see that from
the balcony). No sign of him anywhere. I have no idea how he
got in the apartment to begin with, and what happened to him
after he jumped from the balcony.
--
Suzanne Barnett

uucp:	 ...{decvax,ihnp4,noao,savax,seismo}!terak!suze
phone:	 (602) 998-4800
us mail: CalComp/Sanders Display Products Division
	 (Formerly Terak Corporation)
	 14151 N 76th street, Scottsdale, AZ 85260