[net.pets] kitty won't use her box

lizv@tektools.UUCP (Liz Vaughan) (09/17/85)

My housemate's 10 week old kitten has started crapping everywhere.  When we
first got her (6 weeks) she ALWAYS used the box; now she seems to NEVER use
it, if the little presents we keep finding are any indication. This isn't just
overnight, she does it all day too.

Scolding her seems to have little effect - she'll go right in front of you.
I've never had this problem with a cat - they're usually so fastidious - and
all the tricks that work with a puppy just don't seem to help.

We've tried changing her food, confining her in a room with her box
less food - nothing works.  Could this be a health problem (worms?)
Any ideas?

Liz Vaughan
....tektronix!tektools!lizv

scott@hou2g.UUCP (Racer X) (09/17/85)

Yes, it could point to a health problem, especially if
the kitten had previously used the box religiously.

My two-year old, Athena, started peeing in the BATHTUB
once last year.  Interestingly enough, this was the only
way I was likely to notice the blood in her urine--cystitus
was the problem, but once I was "apprised", I had her
treated and she's fine now.  Smart cat.

It could also be a plea for more attention, but since I
don't know your circumstances, I can't tell.

Try (when the kitten "goes" in front of you) to pick her(?)
up IMMEDIATELY and PLACE HER IN HER BOX.  This usually gets
the message across.

			Scott J. Berry

cej@ll1.UUCP (One of the Jones Boys) (09/17/85)

> My housemate's 10 week old kitten has started crapping everywhere.
> When we first got her (6 weeks) she ALWAYS used the box; now she
> seems to NEVER use it...
>
> Liz Vaughan
> ....tektronix!tektools!lizv

	I found I had the same problem with one of three litter
mates born in June.  Got all three to my house at 7 weeks, and at 10
weeks the problem started.  Part of the answer, in my case, was
catching the offending cat in the act.  I didn't want to yell at the
other two for nothing. (Several books, and several people recommended
yelling (screeming?) as the best punishment for cats.  Physical
contact can be mistaken for playing, I guess.  So I ranted and
raved...)  Also, a change of brand of kitty litter to one with a
deoderant seemed to help greatly.  Cats, of course, bury thier waste
to prevent preditors from finding them by the smell.  I guess she
thought it smelled, although I was using two boxes for the three,
and changing both daily.  The litter change was probably 80%
effective, and the 20% was the newly learned "bad habit".  It only
took a week to stop (what a week!), and hasn't happened again.

	Does anyone know, does a cat's sense of smell become "fully
functional" at about 10 weeks?

--

	disclaimer: If my ideas were worth anything I wouldn't
		    be giving them out for free!

...ihnp4!mgnetp!ll1!cej		Llewellyn Jones

booter@lll-crg.UUCP (Elaine Richards) (09/20/85)

This sounds like a classic cat situation. My cat also left
a liquid present when she had a bladder infection. They have to
go a lot and they feel pretty crummy. Why climb up those stairs when
The Big One left that nice jacket there.

When you housebreak a cat, you have an easy job. They hide their spoor as a
survival mechanism. They really WANT to use the box. When you get a new
kitten, place it in the box, hold its feet and make diggin motions with
its little paws. I have housebroken about 9 or so kittens that way.
The only one I had a hassle with was my current Hairy One, Mehitabel.
She was a pregnant stray.

She is a bitchy cat. She makes messy for good reasons. The biggie is
"Clean that box, Househuman!" I do not blame her. I wouldnt want to
walk barefoot through my own doo-doo and then lick my paws off later
(SHUDDER).

When she paws at the gravel, meows, walks up to me, meows, and
then heads for the catbox, it is Time. I havent had a hassle in 8 months
because we have an interspecies agreement (only took 4 years). Keep
the box clean. Praise her when she goes.Listen to her when she fusses.

*****

dhenson@islenet.UUCP (Donald D. Henson) (09/21/85)

. . . .

We had a cat that started urinating in the house.  The vet told us that
she was trying to tell us she was sick.  In fact, she had a urinary
tract infection.  Suggest taking your kitten to the vet.

Don Henson
Infosys Consulting
> My housemate's 10 week old kitten has started crapping everywhere.  When we

booter@lll-crg.UUCP (Elaine Richards) (09/23/85)

This is one of many problems voiced by users on the net.
The original writer, Liz, who owns a 10 week old cat described her fuzzy
friend's aberrant behavior re box usage. She wonders if a vet can help.
Couldn't hurt. Anytime, an animal acts THAT out of character, call
a vet. Many of us are fully conversant in animal behavior, but none
of us are THAT expert. For a few, bucks it is worth the peace of
mind.

*****

jrc@ritcv.UUCP (James R. Carbin) (09/24/85)

> My housemate's 10 week old kitten has started crapping everywhere.  When we
> first got her (6 weeks) she ALWAYS used the box; now she seems to NEVER use
> it, if the little presents we keep finding are any indication. This isn't just
> overnight, she does it all day too.
>
> Scolding her seems to have little effect - she'll go right in front of you.
> I've never had this problem with a cat - they're usually so fastidious - and
> all the tricks that work with a puppy just don't seem to help.
>
> We've tried changing her food, confining her in a room with her box
> less food - nothing works.  Could this be a health problem (worms?)
> Any ideas?
>

> Liz Vaughan
> ....tektronix!tektools!lizv

About 10 years ago, I moved into an apartment with my cat from a situation
where there was usually someone home during the day to an an environment in
which I lived alone.

Suddenly, I had an adult cat that was urinating in one corner of the Dining
Room.  She would wait until I came home from work and she was in my line
of sight before she would "perform."  Scolding and spanking would work for
a brief period of time, but within a day or so, she would be back to her old
antics once again.

I took her to the Vet who declared her normal, but suggested that she was
doing it as a way of letting me know that she did not like to be left alone
all day long.  I got some of the spray repellant and was successful in
stopping her from using the corner as her kitty box.  Unfortunately she
then moved to another corner.

With something like 14 corners in my apartment, I finally came to the
conclusion that she would have to be destroyed.  This was the only thing the Vet
could suggest as a possible solution if the repellant didn't work.

It was such a traumatic experience for me that I had to wait until I
caught her in the act, and then immediately take her to the Vet.
Even then, after dropping her off at the Vet, I cried and hated myself
for days.

For your sake, I hope you find a better solution, but cats are much
smarter (and cunning) than most people give them credit.

j.r.      {allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!jrc

tankus@hsi.UUCP (Ed Tankus) (09/24/85)

> My housemate's 10 week old kitten has started crapping everywhere.  When we
> first got her (6 weeks) she ALWAYS used the box; now she seems to NEVER use
> it, if the little presents we keep finding are any indication. This isn't just
> overnight, she does it all day too.
>
> Scolding her seems to have little effect - she'll go right in front of you.
> I've never had this problem with a cat - they're usually so fastidious - and
> all the tricks that work with a puppy just don't seem to help.
>
> We've tried changing her food, confining her in a room with her box
> less food - nothing works.  Could this be a health problem (worms?)
> Any ideas?
>

> Liz Vaughan
> ....tektronix!tektools!lizv

If there are any other cats in the house, you might try getting another litter
box. It seems that male and female cats within the same domicile(sp?) require
separate boxes. Even if you have two females, try another box. You can get
away with one of those turkey-roasting pans slipped inside a garbage bag and
filled with litter. It's a good, cheap experiment. 'Works for me.

--

    "   For every word there is a song upon which inspiration lies ..."

    Ed Tankus
    Net  :  {noao!ihnp4!yale!}!hsi!tankus
    Snail:  Health Systems Int'l, 100 Broadway, New Haven, CT 06511
    Bell :  (203) 562-2101

dat@hpcnof.UUCP (09/26/85)

	I wonder if it isn't something to do with the kitten
having to share her litterbox with another...

	Even a littermate is an 'other' once they start
maturing...

				-- Dave Taylor

				..ihnp4!hpfcla!d_taylor
			or      ..hplabs!hpcnof!dat

plw@mgwess.UUCP (Pete Wilson) (09/29/85)

In article <263@hsi.UUCP> tankus@hsi.UUCP (Ed Tankus) writes:
>.... It seems that male and female cats within the same domicile(sp?) require
>separate boxes......
>
>    Ed Tankus
>    Net  :  {noao!ihnp4!yale!}!hsi!tankus
>    Snail:  Health Systems Int'l, 100 Broadway, New Haven, CT 06511
>    Bell :  (203) 562-2101

	I have 2 males and 3 females and they all use the same box (talk
about MESSY!). I have even seen 2 of them (a male and a female) use it
at the same time (we're talking 2 14lb. cats in a 16 X 30 in. box!).
	The only time any of them don't use the box is when, in their
judgement, it's too dirty. Usually the youngest male will get quite
vociferous when it starts turning bad - this guy's been on latrine duty
ever since we got him: covers up the messes of the other cats if they
don't, complains when the litter needs changing, etc.
	Usually there is a reason why a cat won't use a litter box -even
an outdoor cat. The problem is in figuring out the reason. Cats don't
speak human talk too well (at least mine don't) and you have to keep
trying different things until one of them works. The brand and type of
litter seems to be important to them. Mine weren't happy until I started
buying generic litter, just plain old dusty, natural clay. They didn't
like Kitty Litter(T), Litter Green(T), or any of that fancy odor-reducing
stuff.
	It could also be an emotional problem. Maybe the cat doesn't
like being left alone for lengthy periods, or it doesn't like the time
that it gets fed or the food it gets. From a cat's point of view, it
takes quite a bit of training of the human to get the human to do things
right!

	Pete Wilson
	AT&T IS CGBS
	Montgomery Works
	..!ihnp4!mgnetp!mgwess!plw

	<If life begins at 40, what is it that ends at 39?>

mikel@codas.UUCP (Mikel Manitius) (10/04/85)

> > My housemate's 10 week old kitten has started crapping everywhere.  When we
> > first got her (6 weeks) she ALWAYS used the box; now she seems to NEVER use
> > it, if the little presents we keep finding are any indication. This isn't just
> > overnight, she does it all day too.
> >
> > Scolding her seems to have little effect - she'll go right in front of you.
> > I've never had this problem with a cat - they're usually so fastidious - and
> > all the tricks that work with a puppy just don't seem to help.
> >
> > We've tried changing her food, confining her in a room with her box
> > less food - nothing works.  Could this be a health problem (worms?)
> > Any ideas?
> >

> > Liz Vaughan
> > ....tektronix!tektools!lizv
>
> If there are any other cats in the house, you might try getting another litter
> box. It seems that male and female cats within the same domicile(sp?) require
> separate boxes. Even if you have two females, try another box. You can get
> away with one of those turkey-roasting pans slipped inside a garbage bag and
> filled with litter. It's a good, cheap experiment. 'Works for me.
>

> --
>
>     "   For every word there is a song upon which inspiration lies ..."
>
>     Ed Tankus
>     Net  :  {noao!ihnp4!yale!}!hsi!tankus
>     Snail:  Health Systems Int'l, 100 Broadway, New Haven, CT 06511
>     Bell :  (203) 562-2101

Have you changed the brand of kitty litter? Cats, I have found, are very
sensitive to chemicals, and if they have one bad experience with a certain
chemical, they will almost never want to go back to that place (or object),
make sure everything is clean, don't use clensing chemicals, and check the
brand of litter.

--
                                        =======
     Mikel Manitius                   ==----=====    AT&T

wersan@daemen.UUCP (John Slasher Wersan III) (10/05/85)

> > Liz Vaughan
>
> I took her to the Vet who declared her normal, but suggested that she was
> doing it as a way of letting me know that she did not like to be left alone
> all day long.                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> j.r.      {allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!jrc

	First off instead of having the cat KILLED ( I choose that word
because it fits ), did you ever think of getting the cat a companion,
namely another cat, or a dog. You said it yourself that the vet told you
why the cat was doing what it was doing, we have a cat that is 18+, it
too started this, but when my mother brought another cat into the house,
it all stopped. Now the cat had something to play with, and beat on.
( The beatings stopped fast when the other cat got older, and BIGGER ).
Any book on cats will tell you why your cat was doing this, please
consider other options before killing a cat, or any animal!

	BTW, the older cat used to hunt in the desert, when we lived
in Arizona, but it found a substitute when we moved, instead of running down
jack-rabbits, it would attack and chase any dog in the area. ( We are talking
about one VERY MEAN cat ).

--
          		John Wersan

UUCP : {decvax,dual,watmath,rocksanne,rocksvax}!sunybcs!daemen!wersan

"Any statements made are not mine, this computer has me mistaken
 for someone else, of lower intelligence."

	"The doctor said I had dain bramage...
	 But my friends don't know what 'dat shit is"