[net.pets] HELP!!!!

frear@ihnp1.UUCP (L. Frear) (10/07/85)

My adorable four month old kitten has developed an annoying habit--
HE BITES.  I really don't know what to do about it.  I never let him
do it before when he was smaller and weaker.  I've tried yelling at him,
squirting him with a squirt gun, smacking him on the nose (I really
HATE to do that!!!!)  and giving him alternative things to chew on.
Will he outgrow this?  Is it my fault my kitty is a brat?  I'd like
to hear from someone who could help me.  Thanks!
--

			Lori Frear
			ihnp4!ihnp3!frear

			GO BLUE!!!!!!!
			(or don't bother going at all)

cam@aluxe.UUCP (MASCAVAGE) (10/10/85)

> My adorable four month old kitten has developed an annoying habit--
> HE BITES.  I really don't know what to do about it.  I never let him
> do it before when he was smaller and weaker.  I've tried yelling at him,
> squirting him with a squirt gun, smacking him on the nose (I really
> HATE to do that!!!!)  and giving him alternative things to chew on.
> Will he outgrow this?  Is it my fault my kitty is a brat?  I'd like
> to hear from someone who could help me.  Thanks!
>
> 			Lori Frear
> 			ihnp4!ihnp3!frear

  If the kitten is playing too rough, try scolding him as his parents
would (at least I've been told this is how other cats would do it).
Firmly take hold of him by the loose skin in the back of the neck and
shake him slightly -- not very hard, you don't want to hurt him, just
let him know he's playing too rough.  This worked for my kitties when
they were at this stage.  The suggestion by Sue B. about making piteous
sounds to let him know that he hurt you worked sometimes for me (I only
used this when nothing else stopped them). I would probably try the least
violent method first.

  If nothing works, maybe he's not playing, but trying to tell you
something else?

                     CAM

marauder@fluke.UUCP (Bill Landsborough) (10/10/85)

In article <323@ihnp1.UUCP> frear@ihnp1.UUCP (L. Frear) writes:
>My adorable four month old kitten has developed an annoying habit--
>HE BITES.  I really don't know what to do about it.  I never let him
>do it before when he was smaller and weaker.  I've tried yelling at him,
>squirting him with a squirt gun, smacking him on the nose (I really
>HATE to do that!!!!)  and giving him alternative things to chew on.
>Will he outgrow this?  Is it my fault my kitty is a brat?  I'd like
>to hear from someone who could help me.  Thanks!
>
>			Lori Frear

The reason a cat or any animal doesn't bite another animal (especially a
stranger) is because he knows that he might get bit back.  It is a lesson
that every puppy or kitten goes through.  If I bite this big cat, he's
going to hurt me something awful!  So they learn to make a controlled,
playful bite.  Your cat hasn't been swat hard enough to let him know
that he is hurting you and you don't want it to happen again.  At the
same time maybe say, "NO" so he also relates the word to doing something
wrong and subsequent punishment if he does it again.  About twice is
all it will take and he will know how to sit in you lap and not chew
on the boss.  :-)
If you love your cat, you will dicipline him accordingly.

kanner@tymix.UUCP (Herb Kanner) (10/10/85)

In article <323@ihnp1.UUCP> frear@ihnp1.UUCP (L. Frear) writes:
>My adorable four month old kitten has developed an annoying habit--
>HE BITES.  I really don't know what to do about it.  I never let him
>do it before when he was smaller and weaker.  I've tried yelling at him,
>squirting him with a squirt gun, smacking him on the nose (I really
>HATE to do that!!!!)  and giving him alternative things to chew on.
>Will he outgrow this?  Is it my fault my kitty is a brat?  I'd like
>to hear from someone who could help me.  Thanks!

We bought a somewhat oral abyssinian kitten and the breeder gave us some
advice as to how to discourage biting.  Either it works (somewhat) or she
has outgrown it (somewhat).  The advice was to place a finger in her mouth
when she bites and press down just hard enough to hold her jaw open for
about half a minute.  This would not hurt her, but would be uncomfortable
enough to discourage the biting.

If this works for you, please let me know by mail or otherwise.
--
Herb Kanner
Tymnet, Inc.