[net.pets] Discouraging Dogs

sukenick@ccnysci.UUCP (09/30/85)

   Anyone have any recommendations for keeping the neighborhood
dogs out of the garden? They keep digging up the tulip bulbs!

   The only products I've found have involve training the dog
(they are not my dogs) (Can you believe the instructions :
lead the dog to the area to be avoided, let him smell the stinko
stick and tell him a sharp NO!  ......oh boy)
maybe i should use garlic :)

				-thanks
					GDS

sukenick@ccnysci.UUCP (10/07/85)

[][][][][][]<><><><><><>[][][][][][]
>   Anyone have any recommendations for keeping the neighborhood
>dogs out of the garden? They are eating the tulip bulbs! -GDS

<<<< Following forwarded to the net per Jeff's request >>>>

  Answer:  Try a shotgun!  {^:

I know....not my usual flair and elequence but what the hell.

Seriously, the reason they say lead the dog over and correct is to associate
the smell with the correction.  I would NOT do it that way.  A better way
is to just be with the dog outside and correct if he happens to wander
near it to investigate.

This, of course, does not handle neighborhood dogs, unfortunately.

An electric fence would not really work either, since dogs are dry and
would not conduct electricity well.  You _could_ put one up, but the
amount of juice you would need would fry neighborhood kids too, so I
wouldn't recommend it.

A taste deterrent might work.  Try putting tabasco or another _very_
hot sauce on the part of one plant that the dogs may be nibbling on.
If it doesn't kill the plant, liberally douse the other plants.  The
first dog to taste it will remember it for a _very_ long time.

A side note:  One of my clients had a housebreaking problem and part
of the correction method included using hot sauce.  The problem still
persisted and led me to ask her if she gave the dog table scraps.
She did.  I then asked her if she made alot of spicy, hot food.  She
said she made it all the time.

Well, as you might have guessed, the dog was actually being rewarded
for having accidents since he liked the taste!  Oh well, some methods
don't work _all_ of the time.

the moral of the story is that hot sauce may work on most of the dogs
in the area but if one dog _likes_ it more, he may go to town on the
rest of the stuff.  But I wouldn't worry.

			  Jeff Cushner

			 Jeff Cushner @
			 Citicorp-TTI
			 Santa Monica CA 90405
			 (213) 450-9111 x2273

	      {randvax,trwrb,vortex,philabs}!ttidca!ttidcb!cushner

    ** The above comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of   **
    ** Citicorp-TTI and if the corporation wants them to, they'll have **
    ** to pay through the nose for the rights!                         **

< thanks, Jeff, I'll try the hot sauce and tell you if I get any results.

< or maybe I'll get a horse to scare the dogs, but then I'll have to get
< an elephant to get rid of the horses and then......=< :-) >  GDS

marauder@fluke.UUCP (Bill Landsborough) (10/16/85)

In article <161@ccnysci.UUCP> Jeff Cushner@Citicorp-TTI writes:
>[][][][][][]<><><><><><>[][][][][][]
>>   Anyone have any recommendations for keeping the neighborhood
>>dogs out of the garden? They are eating the tulip bulbs! -GDS
>
><<<< Following forwarded to the net per Jeff's request >>>>
>
>  Answer:  Try a shotgun!  {^:
>
>I know....not my usual flair and elequence but what the hell.
>
>An electric fence would not really work either, since dogs are dry and
>would not conduct electricity well.
>
>			  Jeff Cushner

Oh Huh!!!  The difference in potential between the dogs body and the hot
fence dry or wet will zap any animal which comes in contact with the
hot wire.  I know!  I bump into the wire all of the time and even with
rubber shoes on I get zapped.  But stray dogs (and my own) will not go
within 10 feet of a bare wire, hot or not, wet or dry.
Sears sells hot wire fence units for about $29 up.  The $29 special is for
mini-zaps I guess.

Bill Landsborough