[net.pets] The six senses of a cat

ekwok@cadsys.UUCP (Kwok Ed) (09/27/85)

-- This is a serious posting --

I am very interested in how other mammals' perception of the world
differ from ours. In particular, that of the cat, since I have one whose
behavior never ceases to amaze me. I read in net.bizarre that cats are
deaf and partly blind - in the sense that they cannot hear and that they
cannot see stationary things.  Net.bizarre posters are not the most
reliable source of scientific authority, as we all know. I am posting
in net.pets to ask for more credible opinions.

P.S. This may sound utterly stupid - but, does any one knows if cats
communicate, besides body-language, among themselves?
--
So there ...

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (09/28/85)

>  I read in net.bizarre that cats are
> deaf and partly blind - in the sense that they cannot hear and that they
> cannot see stationary things.

Well, my two cats can hear a can of cat food being opened from anywhere
in the house.  The moment I crunch down on the can lid with the opener,
I hear CLUNK-pat-pat-pat-pat-pat and one or two cats will come into the
kitchen.  This is based on hearing, not smell, because the same thing happens
if I open a can of something other than cat food.

I don't believe that cats cannot see stationary things -- if so, they
would bump into things.

In article <160@cadsys.UUCP>, ekwok@cadsys.UUCP (Kwok Ed) writes:
>-- This is a serious posting --
>I read in net.bizarre that cats are
>deaf and partly blind - in the sense that they cannot hear and that they
>cannot see stationary things.

Sound bizarre to me, too.  I used to have a cat (or the cat had me :-).
Poor "Campus" went deaf after about 12 years of age--the difference was very
noticeable.  Before she went deaf, one of the things that would drive her
batty was to meow at her.  She would meow back--and when I recorded about a
minute of this and played it back (moderate volume, from a cheap cassette
machine), she was in a definite fighting mood, apparently thinking it was
another cat in her territory!  I only tried this once, since I did
not want to annoy her too much.  She usually would come running when I
"here, kitty"'ed long enough, too.  After her deafness set in, even hollering
at her loudly would not cause her to even blink.

Maybe cats are blind to stationary things--I don't know, since you would have
to keep the cat from moving its eyes or head while testing this to prevent
relative motion.  Campus had no trouble whatsoever finding her favorite food--
cheese!--after it was placed on the ground.  She just went right to it, no
stopping to sniff around for it.  She also had no trouble finding her favorite
scratching sofa :-).  And I also discovered that although she did not usually
mind being carried face up (cradled in arms) she would go into a blue panic
if carried into a high-ceilinged stairwell this way (must have looked like a
long drop).  But her forte was definitely in finding moving objects--
she would usually not want to "play" with a stationary hanging cord but would
go mad chasing it if it was wiggled.  Once she batted at the screen of a port-
able TV sitting on the floor that was showing a scene of flying fighter jets.

|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!ihnp4!ttrdc!levy

plw@mgwess.UUCP (Pete Wilson) (09/29/85)

In article <160@cadsys.UUCP> ekwok@cadsys.UUCP (Edward C. Kwok) writes:

>I am very interested in how other mammals' perception of the world
>differ from ours. In particular, that of the cat, since I have one whose
>behavior never ceases to amaze me. I read in net.bizarre that cats are
>deaf and partly blind - in the sense that they cannot hear and that they
>cannot see stationary things.  Net.bizarre posters are not the most
>reliable source of scientific authority, as we all know. I am posting
>in net.pets to ask for more credible opinions.
>
>P.S. This may sound utterly stupid - but, does any one knows if cats
>communicate, besides body-language, among themselves?
>--
>So there ...

	These observations are based on a five year study of 5 cats in
whose house I reside.
	You may also have heard that cats can see a lot better in the
dark than humans. Actually, they can see only marginally better in the
dark. They depend more on an acute sense of hearing. It may be true
that cats' eyes adapt faster than ours, though. A cat can hear another
cat walking on carpet at least two rooms away. With two radios and a TV
going, my cats can tell if a car pulling in the driveway belongs here
(i.e., my or my wife's car) or if it belongs to a stranger, while they
are napping(!) in the back of the house (inside, windows closed). The
way I can tell this is that if I am home and my wife pulls in the drive-
way, they run downstairs to the front door. If I'm home alone and a
stranger (to them) pulls in the front, they hide under the bed. They
do this even before I know anybody has arrived!
	I also have heard that cats can't see stationary objects. The
theory went something like this: The human eye is constantly rotating
in very small circles in order to see 'edges' of objects. The brain
'fills in' the middle portion of the object based on what is seen at
the edges.  A possible way to verify this is to stare at a solid color
(smooth)wall from a short distance away. Most people experience some
degree of vertigo. Or look at a solid color circle on a flat surface of
another color. After a short time, the circle will 'disappear'. A cat's
eyes don't rotate, they are stationary. The conclusion was that the
effect would be the same as that of the second experiment. At least
that's the way I heard it. I tend to disagree with the conclusion. A
cat will stare at an object that appeared to move, for quite awhile. If
this object 'disappeared' as in the experiment, then the cat would lose
interest rather quickly. A supporting piece of evidence for the conclusion
is that when a cat is awake, their head and eyes are in almost constant
motion, either from walking around or just gaping at the scenery. The
result being that very little in the cat's range of vision is stationary
with respect to the cat.
	As to whether or not cats communicate with each other, I'm not
sure. Only one of my cats will make vocal sounds at the others. The
rest will hiss and growl, but not meow at their peers. I would almost
swear that they are telepathic, though, both with each other and with
humans. The anecdotal evidence being the 'herd' response to something
that scares one of them causing the rest to panic even though they are
in different parts of the house.
	Cats' sense of smell, I think, is just different that humans' -
not necessarily better. My range for the smell of cat shit is about 2
blocks. My cats', however, is about 1/4 inch. I mean, they have to
practically put their noses in that stuff in order to verify that that's
what it is (GAG!!)! On the other hand, I think that just about all cats
smell the same (if they're clean!). The cats can tell if one of them
has even been petted by a non-household person (hiss, spit, growl).
	Have I covered just about everything you wanted to know about
cats and couldn't care less about?

	Pete Wilson
	AT&T IS CGBS
	Montgomery Works
	..!ihnp4!mgnetp!mgwess!plw

	<If life begins at 40, what is it that ends at 39?>

booter@lll-crg.UUCP (Elaine Richards) (09/30/85)

In article <160@cadsys.UUCP> ekwok@cadsys.UUCP (Edward C. Kwok) writes:
>I am very interested in how other mammals' perception of the world
>differ from ours. In particular, that of the cat, since I have one whose
etc...

>P.S. This may sound utterly stupid - but, does any one knows if cats
>communicate, besides body-language, among themselves?

Cats see moving objects. There is a common belief that they do not perceive
stationary objects. I think they are stubborn and refuse to acnowledge things
that are not opening cans or offering a good scritch behind the ears. They
hear everything. They have superior hearing to humans in every way. I doubt
they see colors like the higher primates do.

Cat communication. Smell. That is why toms spray. Kitty sniffs your shoes
when you come home to assess what kind of day you had. (Hmmm...out with
another kitty, the gigolo!). This is how they tell each other's gender.
They can tell if a cat is a neuter or a kitten.

Sight. Cats have very definite facial expressions. Ears cocked back when angry.
Closed (or half closed) eyes when happy. Haloween Cat body language when scaredd
or for kittens, when at play.

Sound. Ever hear a queen (female) in heat? YOWWWW YOWEEE PRUUT? WANG!!
Ever hear her lover on the other side of the screen ? YANG OWWWW!!!!
They hiss, spit and purr, too.

With humans, they come into your bedroom at the crack of dawn,leap into
the bed and casually stroll across your tender ticklish spots. They have
this casual 'Oh, I didn't know YOU were here look'. They think we really
believe they cannot see stationary objects.

Anyway, I could go on forever. Enjoy your new kitty. It will give you
many amusing anecdotes.

*****

rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (10/01/85)

> I am very interested in how other mammals' perception of the world
> differ from ours. In particular, that of the cat, since I have one whose
> behavior never ceases to amaze me. I read in net.bizarre that cats are
> deaf and partly blind - in the sense that they cannot hear and that they
> cannot see stationary things.  Net.bizarre posters are not the most
> reliable source of scientific authority,...

Which, as you know, is a delicate understatement.  Cats have extremely
sensitive hearing compared to humans.  They are COLOR-blind (as far as we
can tell).  They are comparatively nearsighted, although they can detect
motion very well at longer distances.  They have a good sense of smell.

> P.S. This may sound utterly stupid - but, does any one knows if cats
> communicate, besides body-language, among themselves?

Well, spraying is a form of communication.  You could even call it a form
of written communication with SUBSTANTIAL duration.

There is a small vocabulary of sounds that cats use to communicate.  They
include at least:
	- kitten's "distress" call to mama
	- various growls and shrieks in territorial battles; there are
	  several which indicate progress and status (challenge, anger,
	  fear, grudging submission,...)
	- chattering sound indicating prey being stalked
	- meow of distress
There are various others.  The chatter seems to be mostly something between
the cat and the prey--I suspect it's an attempt at mimicry but I don't
really know--but it does call other cats.  The distress meow can be very
similar to a cat's normal meow but other cats recognize it because they
come to see what's going on and sniff at the animal in distress.  Some cats
also have an assortment of play sounds which other cats may recognize.

I would have mentioned purring, but I don't know that cats use it to
communicate with one another--it works quite well for communicating to
humans, however.
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.

jp@faron.UUCP (Jeffrey Picciotto) (10/01/85)

> ... I read ... that cats are
> deaf and partly blind - in the sense that they cannot hear and that they
> cannot see stationary things.

Cats can definitely hear.  It may be that the frequencies that actually
hear are limited (I don't know), but certainly they can hear voices, tvs,
etc.

I have heard that cats are partially blind.  Rumours include: color
blindness and not being able to see stationary objects.  The former may be
true.  The latter is almost irrelevant.  Figure: it's almost impossible to
hold one's head completely immobile, so all objects (relative to one's head)
are moving, and therefore visible.

It would be interesting to know if cats are color blind.

-- kami

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (10/01/85)

For some more authoritative info on what your cat, or dog, or goldfish,
or whatever, sees, I recommend that you check your local library for
this book:

HOW ANIMALS SEE, by Sandra Sinclair (Facts on File, 1985):

It is a large-format but relatively thin book.

mikel@codas.UUCP (Mikel Manitius) (10/04/85)

> -- This is a serious posting --
>
> I am very interested in how other mammals' perception of the world
> differ from ours. In particular, that of the cat, since I have one whose
> behavior never ceases to amaze me. I read in net.bizarre that cats are
> deaf and partly blind - in the sense that they cannot hear and that they
> cannot see stationary things.  Net.bizarre posters are not the most
> reliable source of scientific authority, as we all know. I am posting
> in net.pets to ask for more credible opinions.
>
> P.S. This may sound utterly stupid - but, does any one knows if cats
> communicate, besides body-language, among themselves?
> --
> So there ...

Cats are not deaf! As a matter of fact, they can hear better than humans,
I remember many years ago, when I lived with my parents at home, in an
appartament complex, my cat could tell when my father was entering the
lobby, she would run up to the front door and put her paws on it, seconds
later, my father would enter, there was no way she could smell or see him
from the appartament.

I can venture to say that cat's do communicate, at least on a low level,
haven't you ever heard the mating moew of a male cat in an alley before?
and the female is attracted (visa versa, only works on males for humans, sigh)
I also had certain calls for my cat to tell her when to come eat, and
she would come running, she was also trained to the word "fish" (in another
language actually), it was the most powerfull, because usually when we would
say fish, she would get a smelt (small raw fish), I could always get her
attention with this.

Anyone who thinks cats are blind, is off their rocker on my book. However
cats and dogs are known to only see black and white.

--
                                        =======
     Mikel Manitius                   ==----=====    AT&T

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (10/05/85)

In article <4371@alice.UUCP> ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
>>  I read in net.bizarre that cats are
>> deaf and partly blind - in the sense that they cannot hear and that they
>> cannot see stationary things.
>
>I don't believe that cats cannot see stationary things -- if so, they
>would bump into things.

True, cats can see stationary things. However, they rely on the detection of
movement more than primates (like us) do.

Primates have stereoscopic vision. This means that their eyes work in close
coordination to produce a three dimensional image. Other animals do not have
much in the way of depth perception, though many of them do have higher powers
of sight, in other areas, than primates. For example, dogs can see much better
in low light than we can.

So, this lack of depth perception in animals other than primates means that
they sometimes find it difficult to distinguish a stationary object from its
surroundings, but have no such difficulty when it is moving.

Of course, most mammals (again, excluding primates) do not have color vision.
This adds to this difficulty in seeing stationary objects, in that being able
to distinguish colors would help to distinguish objects from surroundings.

For example, if a red ball is laying among green bushes, being able to
distinguish between red and green would help you see the ball. If, however,
both colors appear to you as grey, it would be harder to see the ball among
the bushes, since you would be relying on shape alone to make the distinction
between the ball and the bushes around it.

Thought ya might like ta know.

				       Barth Richards
				       Tellabs, Inc.
				       Lisle, IL

				       "Ford, do you realize that robot
					can hum like Pink Floyd?"
                                       -Arthur Dent

p.s. ALWAYS take what you read in net.bizarre with a pound of salt.

jml@drutx.UUCP (LeonJM) (10/07/85)

A long time ago I saw a cartoon on a refridgerator door that was about
the spoken language of cats.  Here is the upshot:

Interviewer:  Professor Titus has spent the last 10 years studying the
language of cats and has discovered what that language is.  It must have
been a exciting discovery for you Dr. Titus.  Please tell us what you
found.

Dr. Titus:  Actually it was rather disapointing.  They're entire vocabulary
consists of two phrases:  "When do I eat?" and "Everything here is mine!"

			:-)

My wife and I believe that our cat, Seagrams, has an "extended" vocabulary:
"I'm BORED!"

John Leon  AT&T  ihnp4!drutx!jml

phil@talaris.UUCP (Phil Cohen) (10/08/85)

Ever notice how cats sway back and forth from side to side
just before they pounce on a toy, mouse, bird etc.?

A neuroscientist friend once told me this lateral motion
increases their depth perception.

jans@orca.UUCP (Jan Steinman) (10/08/85)

In article <133@codas.UUCP> mikel@codas.UUCP (Mikel Manitius) writes:
>However cats... are known to only see black and white.

MYTH!  LIE!!  BLATANT UNTRUTH!!!

This myth has been mentioned several times in this newsgroup, and is wrong!
Cats, while not enjoying the range of color vision humans do, percieve blue,
green and red.  As far as I know, they do not percieve yellow.  If any are
interested, I can try to dig up the vet ref on this subject.

Want to prove it to yourself?  We purchased ping-pong balls for our two cats
to play with.  Some were white, others were "high-visibility" yellow.  Neither
got much activity.  After reading about color perception in cats, we colored
some of them red with felt markers.  These red ones are now their favorite
toys.  (I know, not very scientific, they can probably sniff the felt-pen ink,
the two colors probably have different "gray" levels, etc.)

Its a matter of degree.  Certain varieties of birds that perceive ultra-
violet and infra-red would probably consider humans quite color blind.
--
:::::: Artificial   Intelligence   Machines   ---   Smalltalk   Project ::::::
:::::: Jan Steinman		Box 1000, MS 61-405	(w)503/685-2956 ::::::

wiebe@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Anne Hill Wiebe) (10/10/85)

Cats certainly can see stationary objects.  I did some research
as an undergraduate on the vision of cats, for an introductory
experimental psychology course.  I used my own two sweet kitties,
:-) and they loved it!  I was trying to determine whether cats
could see and interpret images they see in mirrors.

Library research shows a LOT of experimental evidence (as if we
cat-lovers really needed it) that cats can see stationary objects;
they are frequently asked to learn to approach black-and-white
striped backgrounds and avoid black-and-white polka-dot backgrounds,
for example.  They learn this rather well and quickly.  (The way
you teach this is to reward them with a treat when they approach
the background you're trying to teach them to approach.)

I did the same thing using the treats in front of such painted
backgrounds - definitely nonmoving - but the cat could only see
it reflected in mirrors.  She had to choose which way to go to
get to a treatbowl she could see in the mirror.  Both the striped
and the dotted backgrounds had treatbowls, and both contained treats
which she could smell (a bit of canned tuna); but the treat in front
of the dotted background had a lid with holes punched in it; she
wouldn't be able to eat it, only smell it.

Both of my cats learned within a few days (ten trial runs a day,
no other food - yes, they got plenty to eat) to choose a striped
background.  Long story, please forgive - but believe me, this was
a *very* carefully controlled experiment, following up on much
other such research, showing cats learning to respond to visual
stimuli that didn't move.

On colorblindness - the same literature shows that cats CAN see
colors, they CAN be taught to distinguish them.  It takes months
of training for them to learn it, though; so the first research
on it concluded they cannot see colors.  It's as if they had to
learn to pay attention to something they'd never considered before.
(Those experiments must have been very frustrating for the cats
and the researchers alike!)

Sorry this is so long - but if you're interested in learning more,
I suggest Psychological Abstracts, under Cats.  The vision of cats
has been studied quite a bit.

gary@ur-cvsvax.UUCP (Gary Sclar) (10/10/85)

> In article <4371@alice.UUCP> ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
> >>  I read in net.bizarre that cats are
> >> deaf and partly blind - in the sense that they cannot hear and that they
> >> cannot see stationary things.
> >
> >I don't believe that cats cannot see stationary things -- if so, they
> >would bump into things.
>
> True, cats can see stationary things. However, they rely on the detection of
> movement more than primates (like us) do.
>
> Primates have stereoscopic vision. This means that their eyes work in close
> coordination to produce a three dimensional image. Other animals do not have
> much in the way of depth perception, though many of them do have higher powers
> of sight, in other areas, than primates. For example, dogs can see much better
> in low light than we can.
>
> So, this lack of depth perception in animals other than primates means that
> they sometimes find it difficult to distinguish a stationary object from its
> surroundings, but have no such difficulty when it is moving.
>
> Of course, most mammals (again, excluding primates) do not have color vision.
> This adds to this difficulty in seeing stationary objects, in that being able
> to distinguish colors would help to distinguish objects from surroundings.
>
> For example, if a red ball is laying among green bushes, being able to
> distinguish between red and green would help you see the ball. If, however,
> both colors appear to you as grey, it would be harder to see the ball among
> the bushes, since you would be relying on shape alone to make the distinction
> between the ball and the bushes around it.
>
> Thought ya might like ta know.
>

> 				       Barth Richards
> 				       Tellabs, Inc.
> 				       Lisle, IL
>
> 				       "Ford, do you realize that robot
> 					can hum like Pink Floyd?"
>                                        -Arthur Dent
>
> p.s. ALWAYS take what you read in net.bizarre with a pound of salt.

1) cats can clearly see stationary objects; we know because cells in the
cats visual system (at least some of them) respond to standing (stationary)
contrasts; there are many cells, however, that seem specialized to detect
moving stimuli, especially things moving at high speeds; neurophysiologists
(like me)
refer to these, for a variety of reasons, as "Y" cells

2) cats do make eye movements, but not of the same amplitude or frequency
as those made by humans; rather they prefer to fixate an object by moving
their heads

3) cats possess excellent depth perception; do you think they'd be able to
jump off high shelves and stuff and not kill themselves without it? roughly
90 % of the cells in the cat's visual cortex normal receive and combine
inputs from the two eyes and almost all of these, one way or another, are
sensitive to binocular disparities (ie- the differences in the images
received by the two eyes from objects at different distances and directions
relative to the observer); the ability to perceive depth is a
characteristic of all predator animals, not just primates, and the hallmark
of this ability are the forward facing eyes of they possess; things like
rabbits, which aren't predators, don't have this; other things, which are
not mammals but are predators do (owls falcons eagles)

4) cats do see better in the dark then we do; the cat retina is based,
primarily, on a type of photoreceptor specially engineered for sensitivity
in the dark; these are called rods; we also have them, but rely more on the
other type (cones); cats also have some cones, but a much smaller
percentage; also, it is thought that cats only have, at best 2 kinds of
cones; 3 {blue, green and red}
are required for full blow trichromatic color vision; cats have
some ability to distinguish colors, but much poorer then our own; other cat
specializations for night vision a) their pupils are much larger then ours
and the special shape also helps- admits more light,
b) the front surface of their eyes have
much more light gathering power c)they have a reflective layer in the back
of the eye (called the tapetum) that gives light a second chance to pass
through the photoreceptors

5) cat vision is poorer then our own in the sense that it is not as acute-
they can't see things with as fine a grain as we can; in other words the
cats world would look, i think, slightly out of focus to us; but its fine
for them; being closer to the ground they dont have to see things as far
away as we do; their vision is scaled to their needs- things that are
closer subtend a larger visual angle, so vision need not be so acute

 g. sclar @ Center for Visual Science; University of rochester

	{decvax,seismo, other!rochester!ur-cvsvax!gary}

rcd@nbires.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (10/15/85)

> Ever notice how cats sway back and forth from side to side
> just before they pounce on a toy, mouse, bird etc.?
>
> A neuroscientist friend once told me this lateral motion
> increases their depth perception.

Ever notice how the motion is mostly in the cat's hindquarters?  Watch
carefully; the head is almost still when this happens.  I'd like a know-
ledgable explanation; I've always thought that it was just a windup--some
sort of "getting the motion together."  When cats want a better idea of
what they're watching, they seem to tilt their heads to the side (which
alters the sort of information coming in for stereo perception, though it
would seem in only minor ways).
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...Simpler is better.

etan@tellab1.UUCP (Nate Stelton) (10/15/85)

In article <116@talaris.UUCP> phil@talaris.UUCP (Phil Cohen) writes:

>Ever notice how cats sway back and forth from side to side
>just before they pounce on a toy, mouse, bird etc.?
>
>A neuroscientist friend once told me this lateral motion
>increases their depth perception.

Is this the same reason why some just wiggle their butts?

And why is it that, when they see a bird, cats softly chirp to themselves?

                                    -etan

abc@brl-sem.ARPA (Brint Cooper ) (10/15/85)

Several writers have described evidence that cats see stationary
objects, then go on to describe conditions where the object is
stationary but the cat (or at least his/her eyes) aren't.

I think that the real question is how well cats see objects that are
stationare with respect to their eyes.  That is, if a cat holds his head
absolutely still, how well (relative to, say a human) does he perceive
objects?

Brint

mbr@aoa.UUCP (Mark Rosenthal) (10/16/85)

In article <428@brl-sem.ARPA> abc@brl-sem (SECAD/CSMB) <abc>.ARPA (Brint Cooper (SECAD/CSMB) <abc>) writes:

>Several writers have described evidence that cats see stationary
>objects, then go on to describe conditions where the object is
>stationary but the cat (or at least his/her eyes) aren't.
>
>I think that the real question is how well cats see objects that are
>stationare with respect to their eyes.  That is, if a cat holds his head
>absolutely still, how well (relative to, say a human) does he perceive
>objects?

This may be an unreasonable question.  I remember reading some time ago about
experiments in which an image was held stationary with respect to a HUMAN eye.
The image faded surprisingly rapidly.  I believe the experiment involved some
mechanism for immobilizing the eyeball.  Apparently our eyes are constantly
moving, even when we think we are holding them (and our heads) still.  While I
don't remember the source of this information, I think it may have been in a
volume of Scienterrific American.

Anyone got more data on this?
--

	Mark of the Valley of Roses
	...!{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!aoa!mbr

barb@oliven.UUCP (Barbara Jernigan) (10/16/85)

> It would be interesting to know if cats are color blind.   -- kami

It may be that cats are color blind in the *human* sense, but, from
observation, I've observed they *can* differentiate color.  At least
my cat, Feton, can.  When she joined our household last year, we gave
her a toy, which happened to be red.  For several months ANYTHING red
(including Christmas wrap) was fair game.  [A mixture of colored toys
seems to have "cured" that habit.]

This isn't scientific, I know, but it is an observation.

         ___________________
              ______________\
                 ___________ |
         	    ______  /
	       .	 / /	  o
	     .ooo.     ./ /.	. o@ooo0
	    .ooooo.   .ooooo.  .oooo                Barb
        oo..oo	 oo...ooo ooo..ooo  \
     .oo  oo	  oooooo   oooooo
		    ooo	     ooo

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (10/21/85)

In article <324@aoa.UUCP> mbr@aoa.UUCP (Mark Rosenthal) writes:

>I remember reading some time ago about
>experiments in which an image was held stationary with respect to a HUMAN eye.
>The image faded surprisingly rapidly.

I, too, remember reading about this, but don't remember where, or when.
I think the time constant for fading was something like 1/10 second!

--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)
	"When wrath runs rampage in your heart you must hold still