[net.pets] Dog Dandruff

54326jj@hou2f.UUCP (J.JOHNSON) (10/09/85)

My one dog who is now a little over a year old
(he is a mixture of Doberman/Shepherd and Black Lab/Chesepeake Bay)
has a terrible dandruff/dry skin problem!
I'd like to mention that he is outside during the day while
we're at work, but is inside the rest of the time.
He's itchy a lot!

When I brush him, it brings out the dandruff even more (he has
a beautiful coat otherwise).  My other dog has never had a
dandruff problem (he's inside during the day).

Can this problem come from the fact that Rocky is outside
during the day, or does it stem from something else?
Does anybody have any solutions/helpful hints for
Rocky's dandruff?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jo-Ann J.
hou2f!54326jj

notch@srcsip.UUCP (Michael k Notch) (10/14/85)

In article <531@hou2f.UUCP> 54326jj@hou2f.UUCP (J.JOHNSON) writes:
>My one dog who is now a little over a year old
>(he is a mixture of Doberman/Shepherd and Black Lab/Chesepeake Bay)
>has a terrible dandruff/dry skin problem!
>I'd like to mention that he is outside during the day while
>we're at work, but is inside the rest of the time.
>He's itchy a lot!
>
>When I brush him, it brings out the dandruff even more (he has
>a beautiful coat otherwise).  My other dog has never had a
>dandruff problem (he's inside during the day).
>
>Can this problem come from the fact that Rocky is outside
>during the day, or does it stem from something else?
>Does anybody have any solutions/helpful hints for
>Rocky's dandruff?

My dog (Black Lab +) had the same problem. Believe it or not, we solved
his itching by putting a flea collar on him. He has no history of fleas,
but I believe he runs under/into bushes a lot and digs holes etc.

It may not work in your case, but it is an idea.

--
    This posting is just an illusion. Nothing here is real.

    But...   What about Naomi?

USENET:   ihnp4!umn-cs!srcsip!notch
US-SMAIL: Michael k Notch (The small k is on purpose)
	   Honeywell Inc.  Minneapolis, Minnesota  55440
	   MN17-2349  SIP/SRC/MVT   [1-612-378-5338]
--

suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) (10/14/85)

> My one dog who is now a little over a year old
> has a terrible dandruff/dry skin problem!
> I'd like to mention that he is outside during the day while
> we're at work, but is inside the rest of the time.
> He's itchy a lot!
> Can this problem come from the fact that Rocky is outside
> during the day, or does it stem from something else?
> Does anybody have any solutions/helpful hints for
> Rocky's dandruff?

Suggestions are it might be allergies, not enough fat/oil in
his diet, emotional problems. If his behavior is normal, I'd
initially discount the last of these and start by adding more
fat or oil to his diet, if that doesn't work, have him tested
for allergies. A call and/or a trip to the vety is probably in
order.
--
Suzanne Barnett-Scott

uucp:	 ...{decvax,ihnp4,noao,savax,seismo}!terak!suze
phone:	 (602) 998-4800
us mail: CalComp/Sanders Display Products Division
	 (Formerly Terak Corporation)
	 14151 N 76th street, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

joe@ccice6.UUCP (Joe DiBenedetto II) (10/14/85)

> My one dog who is now a little over a year old
> (he is a mixture of Doberman/Shepherd and Black Lab/Chesepeake Bay)
> has a terrible dandruff/dry skin problem!
> I'd like to mention that he is outside during the day while
> we're at work, but is inside the rest of the time.
> He's itchy a lot!
>
> When I brush him, it brings out the dandruff even more (he has
> a beautiful coat otherwise).  My other dog has never had a
> dandruff problem (he's inside during the day).
>
> Can this problem come from the fact that Rocky is outside
> during the day, or does it stem from something else?
> Does anybody have any solutions/helpful hint

joe@ccice6.UUCP (Joe DiBenedetto II) (10/14/85)

> My one dog who is now a little over a year old
> (he is a mixture of Doberman/Shepherd and Black Lab/Chesepeake Bay)
> has a terrible dandruff/dry skin problem!
> I'd like to mention that he is outside during the day while
> we're at work, but is inside the rest of the time.
> He's itchy a lot!
>
> When I brush him, it brings out the dandruff even more (he has
> a beautiful coat otherwise).  My other dog has never had a
> dandruff problem (he's inside during the day).
>
> Can this problem come from the fact that Rocky is outside
> during the day, or does it stem from something else?
> Does anybody have any solutions/helpful hints for
> Rocky's dandruff?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> Jo-Ann J.
> hou2f!54326jj

First you have to consider the time of year. It is starting to get cold outside
and you are probably turning your heat on in the house. Your house inside has
probably been producing alot of dry air which in turn causes dry skin. If a
dog is left outside every day all day his skin will tend to get dry.

Another thing you can try is changing the dog food. Try a food that has oil
in it for the skin, that will most likely help too. If you have changed
dog food brands to a cheaper brand, well that is a problem too.

My suggest that you use Ken-L bisket, IAMS, Science Diet. Any of these are
natural dog food that would help. The only thing that I use which is kind
of unnatural is mighty dog which is a meat supplement that you should mix
with the dry dog food. One more thing add a oil to his food. Go out and buy
some linatone and put the correct amount in his food, there are others on
the market, but this is by far the best and an all arounder too. Well got
to go hope I helped.

				Joe D. ccice6:joe

joe@ccice2.UUCP (Joe DiBenedetto II) (10/22/85)

> In article <531@hou2f.UUCP> 54326jj@hou2f.UUCP (J.JOHNSON) writes:
> >My one dog who is now a little over a year old
> >(he is a mixture of Doberman/Shepherd and Black Lab/Chesepeake Bay)
> >has a terrible dandruff/dry skin problem!
> >I'd like to mention that he is outside during the day while
> >we're at work, but is inside the rest of the time.
> >He's itchy a lot!
> >
> >When I brush him, it brings out the dandruff even more (he has
> >a beautiful coat otherwise).  My other dog has never had a
> >dandruff problem (he's inside during the day).
> >
> >Can this problem come from the fact that Rocky is outside
> >during the day, or does it stem from something else?
> >Does anybody have any solutions/helpful hints for
> >Rocky's dandruff?
> >

> My dog (Black Lab +) had the same problem. Believe it or not, we solved
> his itching by putting a flea collar on him. He has no history of fleas,
> but I believe he runs under/into bushes a lot and digs holes etc.
>
> It may not work in your case, but it is an idea.
>
> --
>     This posting is just an illusion. Nothing here is real.
>
>     But...   What about Naomi?
>
> USENET:   ihnp4!umn-cs!srcsip!notch
> US-SMAIL: Michael k Notch (The small k is on purpose)
> 	   Honeywell Inc.  Minneapolis, Minnesota  55440
> 	   MN17-2349  SIP/SRC/MVT   [1-612-378-5338]
> --

<I really don't think that putting a flea collar on her dog will work.
<Does not sound like a flea problem in the first place, does it. Why
infest your animal with insecticides, it can heart them you know.

<My suggestion to you is if you let your dog run free through bushes, then
don't put a collar on him at all. What if he get caught on a branch, then
what does he do. Flea collars are a big waist of money, they do not work.
<Flea collars are a temporary fix to the problem already at hand. If anything
<it will cause a dog already with a skin problem to make it worse, I have
seen it happen a lot.

				Joe D. ccice6:joe