[net.pets] cat color blindness

duhon@ihlpa.UUCP (Duhon) (10/10/85)

> Anyone who thinks cats are blind, is off their rocker on my book. However
> cats and dogs are known to only see black and white.
>
>      Mikel Manitius                   ==----=====    AT&T

According to "The Encyclopedia of Mammals", edited by Dr. David Macdonald,
	Facts on File, Inc., 1984
all felids (includes all cats) have color vision.

joe@ccice6.UUCP (Joe DiBenedetto II) (10/16/85)

> > Anyone who thinks cats are blind, is off their rocker on my book. However
> > cats and dogs are known to only see black and white.
> >
> >      Mikel Manitius                   ==----=====    AT&T
>
> According to "The Encyclopedia of Mammals", edited by Dr. David Macdonald,
> 	Facts on File, Inc., 1984
> all felids (includes all cats) have color vision.

I'd like to here more info on what you said. I have been showing dogs for about
six years and maybe I am crazy but I never herd of that.

			Joe D. ccice6:joe

In article <394@ccice6.UUCP>, joe@ccice6.UUCP (Joe DiBenedetto II) writes:

>> According to "The Encyclopedia of Mammals", edited by Dr. David Macdonald,
>> 	Facts on File, Inc., 1984
>> all felids (includes all cats) have color vision.
>
>I'd like to here more info on what you said. I have been showing dogs for about
>six years and maybe I am crazy but I never herd of that.
>			Joe D. ccice6:joe

Joe, "felids" means about the same thing as "cats" in a large sense.  This
includes lions, tigers, cheetahs, panthers, leopards, and the like plus of
course household cats.  Dogs are not "felids."  (Anyone: are they "canids"?)
|        skokie, illinois        |