[net.pets] Cats missing the litter box

9234dwz@houxf.UUCP (Nomad # 73299651) (09/23/85)

   Our latest addition Katmandu (mandy for short) has a strange
habit, after using the litterbox she starts the covering motion
OUTSIDE the box. She eventually covers her "activity" and leaves
(the area surrounding the litter box is carpeted).
One of our other cats has started to copy this habit , what gives ?

    Dave Peak
    @  ihnp4!hotel!dxp

"All the net's a stage and all the men and women merely ham actors !"
- Rev Peak (apologies to Bill S.)

ed@hp-pcd.UUCP (ed) (09/26/85)

	Our cat did the same thing.  I have no idea why, perhaps they are
	simply being thorough.

	One of my favorite antics along these same lines, is when I offer
	him a plate of food my wife had just cooked, and he proceeds to
	'bury' the offering.  He also does this with recently emptied wine
	glasses left on the floor.

	Ed Lee
	Hewlett-Packard
	Corvallis Workstation Operation

booter@lll-crg.UUCP (Elaine Richards) (09/27/85)

In article <1003@houxf.UUCP> 9234dwz@houxf.UUCP (Nomad # 73299651) writes:

>   Our latest addition Katmandu (mandy for short) has a strange
>habit, after using the litterbox she starts the covering motion
>OUTSIDE the box. She eventually covers her "activity" and leaves
>    Dave Peak
>    @  ihnp4!hotel!dxp

Dave, every cat I have ever had did that. I have one word for it
STUPID. Cats are pretty, loving, cunning, and a bit dim. Be glad you
have a devoted box user. My cat and I had 4 years or quarrels over
the proper use of a bed as a sleeping area, not a latrine. (I bought
a bed to our mutual liking and she decided that sleeping in it was
more fun than pissing on it)

I have a cat box that is covered all over (a BOX all around). She
cannot kick the gravel all over the floor. She still paws out the
opening on the linoleum and the wall. They want a LOT of sand. They
want clean feet and clean sand. In their teeny little brains, they
are out in the Nile delta (where they came from). Lots of sand there.

They want a larger box. To save the carpet, put a big plywood or lucite
board under the commode. Its easier to clean.

It is really no big deal.. Don't worry about it

*****

>    Our latest addition Katmandu (mandy for short) has a strange
> habit, after using the litterbox she starts the covering motion
> OUTSIDE the box. She eventually covers her "activity" and leaves
> (the area surrounding the litter box is carpeted).
> One of our other cats has started to copy this habit , what gives ?

	Some of our cats do the same thing; it appears to be a common cat
idiosyncrocy.  Our litter box is located in a bathroom adjacent to the toilet.
One of our cats has the particular habit of pawing the ceramic base of the
toilet after completing her potty within the litterbox.

	Strange little suckers, aren't they?

===  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        ===
===  UUCP    {decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  ===
===  VOICE   716/741-9185		 {rice,shell}!baylor!/             ===
===  FAX     716/741-9635 {AT&T 3510D}	           syr!buf!/               ===
===  TELEX   69-71461 ansbak: ELGECOMCLR {via WUI} ihnp4!/                 ===
===									   ===
===                   "Have you hugged your cat today?"		           ===

hxe@rayssd.UUCP (Heather Emanuel) (10/25/85)

> >    Our latest addition Katmandu (mandy for short) has a strange
> > habit, after using the litterbox she starts the covering motion
> > OUTSIDE the box. She eventually covers her "activity" and leaves
> > (the area surrounding the litter box is carpeted).
> > One of our other cats has started to copy this habit , what gives ?
>
> 	Some of our cats do the same thing; it appears to be a common cat
> idiosyncrocy.  Our litter box is located in a bathroom adjacent to the toilet.
> One of our cats has the particular habit of pawing the ceramic base of the
> toilet after completing her potty within the litterbox.

I wondered if my cats (all but one of whom seemed to do it) were
trying to clean the kitty litter out of their paws after scratching
in the litter box, until my oldest reversed the order.  He now
scratches *outside* the box, climbs in, does his duty, and scratches
*inside* the box for as long as I'll let him (I think he likes to
play with it like a sandbox and eventually the noise gets to me if
I'm around, which, invariably, I am, because he's a social cat and
will only visit the bathroom when I do).  Lately, he's taken to
sniffing the cat food that I put down for him and, depending upon
whether he approves of it or not, he will scratch the floor in front
of the food dish.  That's a statement that needs no interpretation!
--
--Heather Emanuel {allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, raybed2} rayssd!hxe
   I don't think my company *has* an opinion, so the ones in this