[net.pets] yet more about cats...

henry@rochester.UUCP (10/09/85)

From: Henry Kautz  <henry>

I recently adopted a stray kitten, who is very sweet and all that
although a little deficient in the brains department.  She can't seem
to figure out the difference between her litter box and a potted plant.
Well, I'm glad she understands DIRT, at least.  Right now all my plants
have been covered (over the exposed dirt) with aluminum foil, which
indeed foils her, but I don't want to keep things this way forever...
when I remove the foil, she immediately thinks, wow!  another cat box!
Anybody else have this problem?  Solutions?
-- Henry Kautz (henry@rochester; seismo!rochester!henry)

booter@lll-crg.ARpA (Elaine Richards) (10/11/85)

In article <12194@rochester.UUCP> henry@rochester.UUCP writes:
>From: Henry Kautz  <henry>
etc.
>...  She can't seem
>to figure out the difference between her litter box and a potted plant.
etc.
>-- Henry Kautz (henry@rochester; seismo!rochester!henry)

I tried taking brown blotter paper. Cut it in a circle put a slit the
radius and make a hole for the plant stem(s). Doesnt look as bad as
aluminum foil. Water the paper and osmosis take the water down.

Kittens grow out of using potted plants. One, they wind up knocking
them over and hitting themselves on the head. Two, their furry little
hineys get too large to be accomodated by your pointsetta's abode.

Water pistols help. Lavender blossoms repel cats like no one's business.
Put some lavender blossoms on the blotter (or dirt).

*****

> I recently adopted a stray kitten, who is very sweet and all that
> although a little deficient in the brains department.  She can't seem
> to figure out the difference between her litter box and a potted plant.
> Well, I'm glad she understands DIRT, at least.  Right now all my plants
> have been covered (over the exposed dirt) with aluminum foil, which
> indeed foils her, but I don't want to keep things this way forever...
> when I remove the foil, she immediately thinks, wow!  another cat box!
> Anybody else have this problem?  Solutions?

	You have three choices: (1) keep the plant soil covered with foil,
(2) use the plants as a litterbox, or (3) get rid of the plants.  If you
elect to go for (1) or (2), be prepared to replenish the plants periodically
as the leaves are eaten.
	We have six indoor cats, and have had cats for a number of years.
I have tried various solutions to the problem, but to no avail.  At this time
we have NO indoor plants (leaf eating was more of a problem with our furry
little friends).

===  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        ===
===  UUCP    {decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  ===
===  VOICE   716/741-9185		 {rice,shell}!baylor!/             ===
===  FAX     716/741-9635 {AT&T 3510D}	           syr!buf!/               ===
===  TELEX   69-71461 ansbak: ELGECOMCLR {via WUI} ihnp4!/                 ===
===									   ===
===                   "Have you hugged your cat today?"		           ===

> >...  She can't seem
> >to figure out the difference between her litter box and a potted plant.
> etc.

> Kittens grow out of using potted plants. One, they wind up knocking
> them over and hitting themselves on the head. Two, their furry little
> hineys get too large to be accomodated by your pointsetta's abode.

	Not our cats!  Not only do they fertilize the soil, but they also
eat the plants!  We have tried all manner of cajoling and/or punishment.
For *years*...  Nothing worked.  So we have no indoor plants...