[net.pets] urinating on rug-- cat

jca@drutx.UUCP (ArnsonJC) (09/30/85)

their cat because it urinated on the carpet...

	The cat was doing this because it was LONELY, and was
showing the owner that it was unhappy with being left alone.  This
person stated that the cat in previous circumstances always had
company.  I had this very same problem when I moved into my own
place with my cat.  My vet called it "spiteful urination".

	SOLUTION:  I got another cat.  Granted it took a few weeks
for them to "make friends", but they keep each other company when I
am not there and two cats are no more trouble than one. (Just have
to clean out the mess box more often. :-) )  I have had both cats
since they were kittens, one is 11 the other 9.  Both are/were
males.  Advise:  when getting a second cat- get a kitten, especially
if the other cat is an adult.  The 'breaking in' period will be much
easier emotionally on everyone concerned.
--
			jill c. arnson
			ihnp4!druky!drutx!jca

May the hair on your toes grow ever longer.

dave@circadia.UUCP (David Messer) (10/04/85)

> their cat because it urinated on the carpet...
>
> 	The cat was doing this because it was LONELY, ...
>
> 	SOLUTION:  I got another cat. ...
> --
> 			jill c. arnson
> 			ihnp4!druky!drutx!jca

We have seven cats, all spayed or neutered, but recently, for no
apparent reason, two of the males began urinating on the rug.  Any
suggestions?  (I don't think getting another cat is the answer :-)
--

Dave Messer   ...ihnp4!stolaf!umn-cs!circadia!dave

wjr@x.UUCP (Bill Richard) (10/10/85)

<urinary tract infections>  C'mon line eater!

Note:  This is STella Calvert, a guest on this account.

I am not answering this by mail, because I'm sick of cats being murdered for
being ill!

In article <167@circadia.UUCP> dave@circadia.UUCP (David Messer) writes:
>We have seven cats, all spayed or neutered, but recently, for no
>apparent reason, two of the males began urinating on the rug.  Any
>suggestions?  (I don't think getting another cat is the answer :-)
>
>Dave Messer   ...ihnp4!stolaf!umn-cs!circadia!dave

When a mature housebroken cat starts "sinning" with no apparent cause, get a
urine sample, and take it and the cat to the vet.  There are lots of things
that could be wrong, but a bladder infection is most likely.

How do you get a sample?  Well, you could follow the cat around with a paper
cup until you get lucky, but _I_ would shut it in a varikennel with lots of
water and no kittybox.  When you see that you have a sample, pour it off into
a container, rinse out the kennel, apologize to the cat, and call your vet.

And yes, it's possible that both cats have the same problem.

				STella Calvert
				(guest on ...!decvax!frog!wjr)

		Every man and every woman is a star.

> <urinary tract infections>  C'mon line eater!
> When a mature housebroken cat starts "sinning" with no apparent cause, get a
> urine sample, and take it and the cat to the vet.  There are lots of things
> that could be wrong, but a bladder infection is most likely.
> And yes, it's possible that both cats have the same problem.

	Urinary infections in cats who share the same litterbox are often
quite contagious.  Recent studies have also shown that feline urolithiasis
(bladder stones) may have a viral agent as its vector.
	So it is indeed possible that more than one cat may be afflicted.

===  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        ===
===  UUCP    {decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  ===
===  VOICE   716/741-9185		 {rice,shell}!baylor!/             ===
===  FAX     716/741-9635 {AT&T 3510D}	           syr!buf!/               ===
===  TELEX   69-71461 ansbak: ELGECOMCLR {via WUI} ihnp4!/                 ===
===                   "Have you hugged your cat today?"		           ===