[net.pets] Tropical Fish

animal@drutx.UUCP (LowG) (10/31/85)

Recently, I acquired a couple of Asian Gold Arowanas (Scleropages
Formosus) and a couple of South American Silver Arowanas (Osteoglossum
Bicirrhosum).  The Gold Arowanas are approximately four and one-half
inches in length, and the Silver Arowanas are approximately two
and one-half inches in length.

I have been feeding the Gold Arowanas with both freeze-dried krill
and small live feeder fish and the Silver Arowanas with freeze-dried
krill.  I have tried feeding them, with no success, TetraMin flake
food and frozen brine shrimp.

My question is: Are there any better or more suitable foods
to feed the Gold and Silver Arowanas (taking their size into
consideration)?

					      Thanks in advance,
					      G. Low
                                              drutx!animal

jdt@twitch.UUCP ( J.D.Tomcik) (11/07/85)

With regard to his new Arowanas, G. Low writes:

> I have been feeding the Gold Arowanas with both freeze-dried krill
> and small live feeder fish and the Silver Arowanas with freeze-dried
> krill.  I have tried feeding them, with no success, TetraMin flake
> food and frozen brine shrimp.
> My question is: Are there any better or more suitable foods
> to feed the Gold and Silver Arowanas (taking their size into
> consideration)?

This article prompted me to go look up some info about Arowanas
in my copy of Axelrod's Exotic Tropical Fishes, and here is what
I found:

" Food Requirements: Greatly prefers fishes which can be swallowed whole,
but can be trained to take pieces of raw fish, shrimp, etc. from the
fingers."

Arowanas are indeed predators, and you will probably have best results
if you follow the live food regimen.  If you wish to try the raw meat
approach, beef heart will probably also be good for them.  To have an
active fish though, it seems that fishes of this sort really do need
some live food in their diets.

How many tanks do you have for 4 Arowanas?? I also like them, and thought
my 125 Gallon tank could handle 2 at most given the size these fish
attain, and their possibly territorial ways.  I don't know if they are
very agressive towards their own kind, but  Axelrod says that full grown
animals are best kept alone.

				Jim Tomcik
				twitch!jdt