[net.pets] \"fixed\" versus \"spayed or neutered\"

heffel@shogun.DEC (Tracey Heffelfinger Dtn:354-7431 GSO/F5) (10/29/85)

   Actually Spencer if you *really* want to be correct, try hysterectomy
and castration.

   As for proper age, for females it's generally agreed that 6 months is
good.  Gives her enough time to grow but gets her before her first heat.
(No "accidents" that way.)  Males can be done as early as 6 months, but
generally vets prefer to wait until they are about 9 months old before doing
them.  (The exceptions are when they mature early and start getting romantic
with things like knitted afghans, as our male Merry did, or when they have
something else wrong.  Our cat Pippin had an umbilical hernia.  That's not
unusual in kittens and they usually repair themselves.  However Pip's was
getting bigger instead of smaller and since they had to go into the abdominal
cavity anyway to get an undescended testicle, our vet decided to get everything
at once at the age of 6 months.)  (Trivia fact for the day: The condition
of having one testicle descended and the other not is called monorchidism.)
(Bet you can't wait for the next party, so you can show off that one!)

"I do nothing in particular but I do it very well." --W.S. Gilbert

Tracey Heffelfinger
Digital Equipment Corp.
Greenville, S.C.

UUCP:{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|ucbvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-raven1!heffelfinger
ARPA:heffelfinger%raven1.dec@decwrl.arpa

stu16@whuxl.UUCP (SMITH) (10/29/85)

>    Actually Spencer if you *really* want to be correct, try hysterectomy
> and castration.
>
> Digital Equipment Corp.
> Greenville, S.C.
>
> UUCP:{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|ucbvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-raven1!heffelfinger
> ARPA:heffelfinger%raven1.dec@decwrl.arpa

         Try orchiectomy (one of three accepted spellings)
for males.

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (10/30/85)

>    Actually Spencer if you *really* want to be correct, try hysterectomy
> and castration.

	Honest to goodness, when I called the vet to make an appointment
to have my male cat turned into an it, the woman on the phone confrimed
the appt "Ok, so that's Thursday for shots and castration ?". I admit
it, I cringed.

--
jcpatilla

wanttaja@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ronald J Wanttaja) (11/04/85)

>   (Trivia fact for the day: The condition
> of having one testicle descended and the other not is called monorchidism.)

Gee, I always called it a "fouled ball" ...:-)

No signature necessary

>    Actually Spencer if you *really* want to be correct, try hysterectomy
							      ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> and castration.

	Actually, Tracey, if *you* want to be correct, for the female it is
called a ``tubal ligation''.  The uterus is NOT removed; only the patency of
the fallopian tubes is destroyed.  The proper procedure is a double ligature,
whereby each fallopian tube is cut, with a ligature placed on each cut end.  A
less than proper procedure used by some vets is to place metal clips on each
fallopian tube; this is poor because the clips can loosen and, voila, kittens!

===  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        ===
===  UUCP    {decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  ===
===  VOICE   716/741-9185		 {rice,shell}!baylor!/             ===
===  FAX     716/741-9635 {AT&T 3510D}	             ihnp4!/               ===
===									   ===
===                   "Have you hugged your cat today?"		           ===

johansen@agrigene.UUCP (11/16/85)

> >    Actually Spencer if you *really* want to be correct, try hysterectomy
> 							      ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > and castration.
>
> 	Actually, Tracey, if *you* want to be correct, for the female it is
> called a ``tubal ligation''.  The uterus is NOT removed; only the patency of
> the fallopian tubes is destroyed.  The proper procedure is a double ligature,
> whereby each fallopian tube is cut, with a ligature placed on each cut end.  A
> less than proper procedure used by some vets is to place metal clips on each
> fallopian tube; this is poor because the clips can loosen and, voila, kittens!

Sorry to disagree but I think the procedure is actually an
ovariohysterectomy (sp?) ie both the ovaries and uterus are removed.
After this procedure the female no longer goes into 'heat' presumably
due to hormonal changes. If it were a simple 'tubal ligation', the cat
would be in heat on a regular basis.
    The actual procedure done may of course depend on the  vet.

jla@inuxd.UUCP (Joyce Andrews) (11/16/85)

> >    Actually Spencer if you *really* want to be correct, try hysterectomy
> 							      ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > and castration.
>
> 	Actually, Tracey, if *you* want to be correct, for the female it is
> called a ``tubal ligation''.  The uterus is NOT removed; only the patency of
> the fallopian tubes is destroyed.  The proper procedure is a double ligature,
> whereby each fallopian tube is cut, with a ligature placed on each cut end.  A
> less than proper procedure used by some vets is to place metal clips on each
> fallopian tube; this is poor because the clips can loosen and, voila, kittens!

No, Larry.  A tubal ligation would not prevent the cat from
coming into heat, just like a tubal ligation does not prevent the
ovaries in a woman from dispensing female hormones.  When a cat
or dog is *SPAYED* she has a hysterectomy, removing uterus and
ovaries.  She doesn't come in heat, and she doesn't have eggs.

                     Joyce Andrews, AT&TIS, Indianapolis
                              ihnp4!inuxd!jla

tj@alliant.UUCP (Tom Jaskiewicz) (11/17/85)

In article <575@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>>    Actually Spencer if you *really* want to be correct, try hysterectomy
>> and castration.
>
>	Actually, Tracey, if *you* want to be correct, for the female it is
>called a ``tubal ligation''.  The uterus is NOT removed; . . .

Actually "spaying" is an ovariohysterectomy, the complete removal of the uterus
and BOTH ovaries.  If just the tubes were tied, the animal would still go into
heat (and what good is that?).
--

| uucp:  decvax!linus!alliant!tj |