[net.pets] feline kidney disease: request for info

ed@wucs.UUCP (Ed Macke) (11/29/85)

Hi! I do not normally read this newsgroup, so forgive me if this
posting is out of place.

I have a 10-year old neutered male cat who has stopped eating, become
very lethargic, and lost about 25% of his body weight.  The one vet
I've been to has diagnosed it as kidney disease, and can offer no
suggestions on treatment (ie there is none).  My question is:

Before I give up on my cat, does anyone out in netland know of any
new 'state-of-the-art' treatments for kidney disease in cats?  Has
anyone heard of possible dialysis or transplants being done anywhere?
If you can offer any rays of hope, please e-mail me at

	...!ihnp4!wucs!wuibc!ed

Please don't post to the net, because, as mentioned earlier, I do not
normally read this group.  Sincere thanks to any or all who respond.

Ed Macke
Computer Systems Lab
Washington University
724 S. Euclid
St. Louis, MO  63110
(314) 362-3120

freeman@spar.UUCP (Jay Freeman) (12/03/85)

[]

In article <1279@wucs.UUCP> ed@wucs.UUCP (Ed Macke) writes:

>I have a 10-year old neutered male cat who has stopped eating, become
>very lethargic, and lost about 25% of his body weight.  The one vet
>I've been to has diagnosed it as kidney disease, and can offer no
>suggestions on treatment (ie there is none).  My question is:
>
>Before I give up on my cat ...

A cat of mine recently developed an unidentifiable viral infection
(known to be a virus because of reduced temperature and reduced
white blood-cell count).  He stopped eating, lost much weight,
developed jaundice, etc etc.  Six days of intensive care at a
vet -- intravenous feeding and all -- did not halt his deterioration.
They sent him home with much medicine and no great hope.  I fed him
by hand for several weeks, poking bean-sized dabs of high-quality
wet cat food down his throat in sufficient quantity to provide
him with normal nutritional intake.  I also dribbled water into
his mouth from a plastic squeeze bottle.

He responded promptly to the food -- within a few hours he went
from "limp cat" state to sitting up and looking at the world
around him, and within a few days he was no longer on death's
door, but was instead a basically strong animal fighting a disease.
Within a few weeks he had (knock on wood) recovered completely,
notwithstanding a severe bout with a bacterial secondary infection
that he picked up when he was weak.  (Antibiotics got that one.)

It was a near thing, and I wouldn't care to try it again.  However,
I was strongly impressed that the "stop eating" behavior pattern
of cats is often counterproductive.  I chatted with a veterinary
technician a little about it, and the best we could come up with
was that it might be evolved behavior appropriate to a small
predator -- once the (wild) animal is sufficiently sick, it makes
more sense to try to recover on stored resources than to expend
the energy and take the risk to hunt:  A weak and uncoordinated
animal is unlikely to hunt successfully, and more likely than usual
to end up as someone else's dinner.  So perhaps the evolutionary
message that results in loss of appetite is not so much "eating
isn't good for you" as "hunting isn't good for you".

I don't know whether this applies to your pet, but I thought I
would mention it.  Good luck.

(Hmn, this might be of sufficient interest to post to net, too.)

--
Jay Reynolds Freeman (Schlumberger Palo Alto Research)(canonical disclaimer)