[net.pets] Help with canine urination in the house.

johnnyr@ihu1n.UUCP (John R. Rosenberg) (12/11/85)

We recently adopted a three year old neutered half black lab/half husky
from a local Humane Society. He is a very well-behaved dog, sweet, loving
and a joy to have around. Except...

We both work, and the Society told us that he was used to being alone in
house alone for long periods. After having him one week, we started
to notice urination stains and wetness in the living room. Usually
around furniture, beneath and on sofa fabric, but mostly on the carpet.
For the last month and a half this has been an almost daily occurence
when he is left alone while we are away at work. No problems on weekends
or on days that someone is home. We have never caught him in the act, so
I don't know if it happens right after we have left, indicating anger
at being 'deserted' or after a long period of time because of a weak
bladder. There have been occasional times when we've been gone only a couple
of hours and found a new stain.

Do any of you have advice on how to stop this from going on forever?
I should mention that the problem occurs only in the living room, not
the kitchen or family room. We have had the living room blocked off so
that he can not get in, and it solves the problem. Not a permanent
solution though, since it makes it hard to use that room.

Please help. We are getting desperate, the room is begining to smell, and
I am spending too much money on stain and odor removers. Please mail
your response.

Thanks in advance
John Rosenberg AT&T-NS
ihnp4!ihu1n!johnnyr

tj@alliant.UUCP (Tom Jaskiewicz) (12/13/85)

In article <307@ihu1n.UUCP> johnnyr@ihu1n.UUCP (John R. Rosenberg) writes:
>Do any of you have advice on how to stop this from going on forever?

Buy and USE a dog crate.  You'll be much happier and he really won't mind.

You can use either a plastic airline crate or a small metal cage.  We
have used both kinds and greatly prefer the metal variety:  They are
easier to keep clean and our dogs like to be able to see out.

The size should be large enough for the dog to lie down comfortably; no
larger.  You are basically setting up a den for your dog (wild dogs are
denning animals).

There are many advantages of to using a crate:

1.  No dog will voluntarily soil his den.  If he does it's because he
couldn't hold it.

2.  You can take the crate with you when you travel.  It will give the
dog a familiar place to sleep.

3.  Speaking of traveling, a crated dog is less likely to be injured (or
run away) in a car accident.

4.  It gives the dog a secure place to retreat to.  Our dog regularly
uses his crate as a place to sleep.  And if you have kids, a good rule
to lay down is that the dog not be disturbed when he is in the crate.
--

+--------------------------------+
| uucp:  decvax!linus!alliant!tj |

joe@ccice6.UUCP (Joe DiBenedetto II) (12/16/85)

In article <307@ihu1n.UUCP>, johnnyr@ihu1n.UUCP (John R. Rosenberg) writes:
> We recently adopted a three year old neutered half black lab/half husky
> from a local Humane Society. He is a very well-behaved dog, sweet, loving
> and a joy to have around. Except...
>
> We both work, and the Society told us that he was used to being alone in
> house alone for long periods. After having him one week, we started
> to notice urination stains and wetness in the living room. Usually
> around furniture, beneath and on sofa fabric, but mostly on the carpet.
> For the last month and a half this has been an almost daily occurence
> when he is left alone while we are away at work. No problems on weekends
> or on days that someone is home. We have never caught him in the act, so
> I don't know if it happens right after we have left, indicating anger
> at being 'deserted' or after a long period of time because of a weak
> bladder. There have been occasional times when we've been gone only a couple
> of hours and found a new stain.
>
> Do any of you have advice on how to stop this from going on forever?
> I should mention that the problem occurs only in the living room, not
> the kitchen or family room. We have had the living room blocked off so
> that he can not get in, and it solves the problem. Not a permanent
> solution though, since it makes it hard to use that room.
>
> Please help. We are getting desperate, the room is begining to smell, and
> I am spending too much money on stain and odor removers. Please mail
> your response.
>
> Thanks in advance
> John Rosenberg AT&T-NS
> ihnp4!ihu1n!johnnyr
I hope I can help you out. First of all you should not trust a new dog in
a house he has never been it before. The people at the animal shelter have
only been told by the old owners that the dog gets left alone all day. How
old is the dog? A new pet should be confined to a area and not left freedom
of the house. Limit the water intake each day. A dog will not sleep in a
spot he has urinated in. Try this first. Keep me informed on his progress
and I will give you more tips later that will work.

                                joe D. ccice6:joe