[net.pets] My big standard poodle is afraid of her new doghouse!

bea@alice.UucP (Bea Chambers) (12/13/85)

My standard poodle loves to stay in her outdoor run regardless of the weather.
We thought we were doing her a favor and bought her a doghouse. She is
afraid of it. She will go in part-way to get a treat but she refuses to go
in all the way. I think the doghouse is more than big enough. Can anyone come up
with some ideas to get her to use it? We have had it about 3 weeks and
no change so far. I am having a puppy visit next week and I am sure the
puppy will use it and I hope she might then try it too. Meanwhile, I am putting
treats in there further and further back. She will take the treat but immediately
back out.

She is a 50 lb dog and the doghouse measures 25" x 36"L x 30" H.

cushner@ttidcb.UUCP (Jeffrey Cushner) (12/16/85)

Hi!  What you are doing in terms of association of the treats with the
doghouse is the accepted method to use, in most cases.  The fact that
she does go in to get the treat tells me that she is not that afraid of
it but would rather avoid it.  You don't write how old she is or how long
she has been going out in the run.  I would say that, probably, she is so
used to "roughing it" that, in terms of reward, there is no motive for
using it.  The reasons that a dog will go in a doghouse are usually,in order,
security and shelter from the elements.   If she doesn't mind the elements,
as you point out, and she is a basicly secure dog, it'll take longer.

I would suggest that you continue working with the treats, for only a
few times a day (and all the way back now), if she retrieves, toss a ball
in and play a game with her, and one other thing:

Work up a sweat, like after jogging or ___________ (you fill it in)
and rub it around the inside of the structure.  Since your smell is
in it now, it will be more tempting to you.  Good Luck!

In article <4701@alice.UUCP> bea@alice.UucP (Bea Chambers) writes:
>My standard poodle loves to stay in her outdoor run regardless of the weather.
>We thought we were doing her a favor and bought her a doghouse. She is
>afraid of it. She will go in part-way to get a treat but she refuses to go
>in all the way. I think the doghouse is more than big enough. Can anyone come up
>with some ideas to get her to use it? We have had it about 3 weeks and
>no change so far. I am having a puppy visit next week and I am sure the
>puppy will use it and I hope she might then try it too. Meanwhile, I am putting
>treats in there further and further back. She will take the treat but immediately
>back out.
>
>She is a 50 lb dog and the doghouse measures 25" x 36"L x 30" H.

			 Jeff Cushner @
			 Citicorp-TTI
			 Santa Monica CA 90405
			 (213) 450-9111 x2273

	      {randvax,trwrb,vortex,philabs}!ttidca!ttidcb!cushner

    ** The above comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of   **
    ** Citicorp-TTI and if the corporation wants them to, they'll have **
    ** to pay through the nose for the rights!                         **

cushner@ttidcb.UUCP (Jeffrey Cushner) (12/16/85)

>Work up a sweat, like after jogging or ___________ (you fill it in)
>and rub it around the inside of the structure.  Since your smell is
>in it now, it will be more tempting to you.  Good Luck!
					---

   (I meant it would be more tempting to HER!)

		 [I certainly wouldn't be more tempted!]

rhc@ptsfa.UUCP (Robert Cohen) (12/17/85)

In article <4701@alice.UUCP>, bea@alice.UucP (Bea Chambers) writes:
> My standard poodle loves to stay in her outdoor run regardless of the weather.
> We thought we were doing her a favor and bought her a doghouse. She is
> afraid of it. She will go in part-way to get a treat but she refuses to go
> in all the way. I think the doghouse is more than big enough. Can anyone come up
> with some ideas to get her to use it? We have had it about 3 weeks and
> no change so far.
Bea,
If you receive any replies other than those posted, would you
be kind enough to forward me a copy (or summarize for the net)?
I just ordered a house for my 14 month old Lab, and Rosie wasn't
at all anxious to try the one at the store.  Loving water as much
as she does, she's liable to play in the rain all day and never
stay in her dog house if left to her own devices...
As I say, don't know for sure if I'll have this problem, but
feel it's a good possibility.

Thanks,
Robert

--
Robert Cohen
San Francisco, California

marauder@fluke.UUCP (Bill Landsborough) (12/18/85)

In article <4701@alice.UUCP> bea@alice.UucP (Bea Chambers) writes:
>My standard poodle loves to stay in her outdoor run regardless of the weather.
>We thought we were doing her a favor and bought her a doghouse. She is
>afraid of it. She will go in part-way to get a treat but she refuses to go
>in all the way. I think the doghouse is more than big enough. Can anyone come up
>with some ideas to get her to use it?

What I did when my Black Labrador was afraid of her dog house was
crawl into it myself and called her in.  It was of course a little
crowded but once she learned that it was comfortable and warm she
would go in with ease.  I also put straw inside, lots of it so they
(there are now two) burrow down and stay warm.  I put a swinging door
hinged from the top to keep out the draft and insulated the entire
chamber with R-9 insulation and in the winter hang a trouble light
inside for them to stay toasty warm.  BOY do I have spoiled dogs!