[net.pets] "And what do you do with the cat's REAR claws?"

lad@vaxine.UUCP (Leslie A. Dubinsky) (12/10/85)

    Has anyone out there ever clipped their cat's rear claws?  Without
rekindling the old declawing/clipping debate, all of my cats have all of
their claws.  Although they are pretty considerate about not intentionally
clawing the furniture, they manage to ruin table tops by sliding onto and
jumping off of them (even though they are not "allowed" on them in the first
place), marring the finish with their rear claws.  I am about to get a new
table which I would rather not see damaged; should I clip their rear nails
as I do the front ones?

kanner@tymix.UUCP (Herb Kanner) (12/13/85)

In article <9@vaxine.UUCP> lad@vaxine.UUCP (Leslie A. Dubinsky) writes:

>    Has anyone out there ever clipped their cat's rear claws?  Without
>rekindling the old declawing/clipping debate, all of my cats have all of
>their claws.  Although they are pretty considerate about not intentionally
>clawing the furniture, they manage to ruin table tops by sliding onto and
>jumping off of them (even though they are not "allowed" on them in the first
>place), marring the finish with their rear claws.  I am about to get a new
>table which I would rather not see damaged; should I clip their rear nails
>as I do the front ones?

Yes, of course.  The cat will probably bitch a lot about your doing
it--they just seem to resent more having their hind paws handled.  And, of
course, since the claws on the rear are thicker, you have to clip more
carefully.  Anyway, we have always clipped rear claws on those cats for which we
felt the real claws were damaging furniture.
--
Herb Kanner
Tymnet, Inc.

odell@dciem.UUCP (Patricia Odell) (12/19/85)

I began to clip my cats rear nail for similar reasons!

The first time I did, I used regular nail clippers (the
people kind!).  They worked fine for front paw nails so
I figured they would do the trick for the rear paws....
..... wrong!!  The rear nails are much thicker than front
ones - on Oliver's paws anyway - and the nail clippers
tended to cut very poorly.

I got a proper pet nail-clipper from my vet ($9.00 Can.)
which makes a very clean and quick cut.  They work well
and because they are very sharp they cut quickly.
Speed is of essence as Oliver's tolerance level can be
reached rather quickly at nail cutting time!!

Patti