[net.pets] Help Wanted re. Digging Dog

jackson@ttidcb.UUCP (Dick Jackson) (12/14/85)

Apologies if this has come up before, I'm new to net.pets. Can anyone
recommend a way to teach a dog not to dig holes? It has to be retroactive
because the blasted hound does most of his dirty work when we're away from
the house.

Sincerest thanks in advance,

Dick Jackson

marauder@fluke.UUCP (Bill Landsborough) (12/19/85)

In article <575@ttidcb.UUCP> jackson@ttidcb.UUCP (Dick Jackson) writes:
>Apologies if this has come up before, I'm new to net.pets. Can anyone
>recommend a way to teach a dog not to dig holes? It has to be retroactive
>because the blasted hound does most of his dirty work when we're away from
>the house.
>
>Sincerest thanks in advance,
>
>Dick Jackson

I have never had any success in "teaching" my dogs not to dig.  But I
have been able to stop it.  I bought chicken wire in a roll 24" wide
and lined my yard with it stapled up on the fence about 8 inches up.
I then laid the rest of it down the fence and out onto the grass and
anchored the grass end down with rocks and/or tent stakes.  My dogs
would come over to the fence, think dig, and try to dig.  The chicken
wire would be in the normal location for them to start digging and it
would hurt their paws and they would stop.  End of problem.  You can
even mow the lawn over the chicken wire if you are careful.

Bill Landsborough

----

"Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not
arrogant or rude... Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all
things, endures all things."   1 Corinthians 13:4-7