[net.pets] A house dog

br@wucs.UUCP (Bill Ross) (12/13/85)

    I`m interested in getting a dog but would feel very bad about leaving it at
home (an apartment) all day while I am at school.  Since I'm likely to be
single, apartment bound and working for the next decade or so I can't see any
solution to this problem.  I would have plenty of time for play evenings and
weekends - it's just daytime I'm worried about.  I'm thinking about a German
Sheperd or other large but calm dog.  Does anyone have a solution to this
problem?  I suppose I could take it to the computer lab but I expect people
might object.  Thanks for any advice you can give!

    Billy

Bill Ross 	Washington University ECL,  St. Louis 314-889-4794
UUCP:		br@wucs.UUCP  or  ..!{ihnp4,seismo}!wucs!br
ARPANET:	wucs!br@seismo.ARPA
CSNET:		wucs!br@seismo.ARPA%csnet-relay

pgb@ihuxb.UUCP (Brown) (12/14/85)

>     I`m interested in getting a dog but would feel very bad about leaving it at
> home (an apartment) all day while I am at school...
> ...I'm thinking about a German Sheperd or other large but calm dog.
> Does anyone have a solution to this problem?  ...
>
>     Billy

*** REPLACE THIS DOG WITH A PAIR OF KITTENS ***

I've had experience with a small, uncalm dog left home all day -- it
made a mess and destroyed things!  I feel it's unfair to all parties
to keep a dog in this circumstance.  How about a pair of cats?  They're
less messy, will play with you when you're home, and will play with
each other when you're gone...

tj@alliant.UUCP (Tom Jaskiewicz) (12/16/85)

In article <1305@wucs.UUCP> br@wucs.UUCP (Bill Ross) writes:
>    I`m interested in getting a dog . . .

Having precisely your concerns, I would not get a dog in your situation.
However, if you really want a dog, I would read the book "The Right Dog
for you", by Danial F. Tortora.  It's subtitled "choosing a breed that
matches your personality, family and lifestyle."  It does exactly that.

>. . .  I'm thinking about a German
>Sheperd or other large but calm dog.  . . .

PERSONAL OPINION:  A German Shepherd is not a calm dog.
--

+--------------------------------+
| uucp:  decvax!linus!alliant!tj |

cushner@ttidcb.UUCP (Jeffrey Cushner) (12/16/85)

I understand your predicament, Bill.  Many of my clients have the same
problem.  To get a dog used to being alone all day long takes active
work on your part (alot of it) but it isn't impossible.  It becomes
a bit easier if you can get back during lunchtime,though, for him to
relieve himself, and have some exercise and contact time.  If you can
do this, I advise starting him out on a Friday, by taking the day off,
or by starting out on a school vacation to give him the maxiximum contact
and training time.  Your two biggest objectives are giving him Housebreaking
training and getting him to feel secure around you and without you.
Be sure that he knows what a chew toy is and that that is the ONLY thing
you want him chewing.  Also, after two days, start leaving the house for
a couple minutes at a time and then come back and give him a treat.
Make all your entries and exits low keyed (very important) just like it was
a routine thing ( which it will become).

Also get him used to being in a crate during times that you are going to
be away for longer periods of time.  A crate is a cage that is large enough
to let him stretch out comfortably but not exceedingly so.  It can be
a bit larger if you're going to start out with a puppy.  This will
allow you to leave the house without worrying whether he will chew everything
up or urinate on every conceivable surface.  If the association with the
crate is a positive one, he will grow to love his time in there since
he will have security in such a small spot and, also he will not urinate
or defecate in there unless he really can't hold it in anymore.  This
is why I advocate being there for lunch, if at all possible.

As time progresses and you are letting him spend more and more time
alone out of the crate he will get used to just being in the house
and sleeping or chewing on his toy until you return.

If you are considering paper training, I would advise against getting a
large breed dog, however.  A puppy doesn't let go of that much, but a
larger dog; the dog he is to become will saturate almost anything that
you put down to absorb it.  Start out and stick to housebreaking if
you are going to get a Gr. Shep.

Good luck!

    Jeff

In article <1305@wucs.UUCP> br@wucs.UUCP (Bill Ross) writes:

>    I`m interested in getting a dog but would feel very bad about leaving it at
>home (an apartment) all day while I am at school.  Since I'm likely to be
>single, apartment bound and working for the next decade or so I can't see any
>solution to this problem.  I would have plenty of time for play evenings and
>weekends - it's just daytime I'm worried about.  I'm thinking about a German
>Sheperd or other large but calm dog.  Does anyone have a solution to this
>problem?  I suppose I could take it to the computer lab but I expect people
>might object.  Thanks for any advice you can give!
>
>    Billy

			 Jeff Cushner @
			 Citicorp-TTI
			 Santa Monica CA 90405
			 (213) 450-9111 x2273

	      {randvax,trwrb,vortex,philabs}!ttidca!ttidcb!cushner

    ** The above comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of   **
    ** Citicorp-TTI and if the corporation wants them to, they'll have **
    ** to pay through the nose for the rights!                         **

cam@aluxe.UUCP (MASCAVAGE) (12/17/85)

>     I`m interested in getting a dog but would feel very bad about leaving it at
> home (an apartment) all day while I am at school.  Since I'm likely to be
> single, apartment bound and working for the next decade or so I can't see any
> solution to this problem.  I would have plenty of time for play evenings and
> weekends - it's just daytime I'm worried about.  I'm thinking about a German
> Sheperd or other large but calm dog.  Does anyone have a solution to this
> problem?  I suppose I could take it to the computer lab but I expect people
> might object.  Thanks for any advice you can give!
>
>     Billy
> --

  I would stay away from a puppy of any kind, since they take pretty much
constant training in the beginning, and you will probably end up with
messed up floors &/or chewed up items;you may be able to put up with this,
but the pup might get pretty lonely for a while--missing mommy & all!
Your idea of a larger calmer dog may be the best bet, though I wouldn't
go too extra-large in an avg. size appartment. I've known 4 retriever
type dogs(labrador & golden), and know that they are usually very gentle
and calm. I would also suggest a dog that is a few years old: they tend
to be somewhat trained, alittle calmer, and when they get middle-aged,
they don't mind napping a bit during the day(this is all generally speaking!)

Why don't you take a walk through the local animal shelter and see who
fate calls you to--despite my advice, in most cases you can both adjust!
****This last point I think is worth repeating: go to the shelter first!
There are usually a variety of dogs & cats(some of these may take a liking
to you also?!) there: purebreeds and mixes of all types. Plus most shelters
have a return policy so that if you two really can't get along you may
return the dog. Most importantly, you'll be giving an animal a home
 that really needs it, and also maybe saving a life.

                                         CAM

jvz@ccice5.UUCP (John V. Zambito) (12/18/85)

In article <1305@wucs.UUCP> br@wucs.UUCP (Bill Ross) writes:

>    I`m interested in getting a dog but would feel very bad about leaving it at
>home (an apartment) all day while I am at school.  Since I'm likely to be
>single, apartment bound and working for the next decade or so I can't see any
>solution to this problem.  I would have plenty of time for play evenings and
>weekends - it's just daytime I'm worried about.  I'm thinking about a German
>Sheperd or other large but calm dog.  Does anyone have a solution to this

	I suggest you go to the local humane society and look for a nice
dog. I got a 6 yr. old pure golden retriever at our local h.s. 3 yrs. ago
and it has been a great dog. It stays alone in the house all day. I don't
feel bad about leaving him alone all day because he's alot better off stuck
in the house than being dead, which is what he would have been if I didn't
take him. He had been there a week longer than than the normal 2 week
max. already. They kept him alive that long because he was such a nice dog,
but usually nobody wants an older dog. Dusty was fully trained and is a
great dog.
                                              good luck!

mazlack@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Lawrence J. &) (12/21/85)

>>    I`m interested in getting a dog but would feel very bad about leaving it at
>>home (an apartment) all day while I am at school.  Since I'm likely to be
>>single, apartment bound and working for the next decade or so I can't see any
>>solution to this problem.  I would have plenty of time for play evenings and
>>weekends - it's just daytime I'm worried about.  I'm thinking about a German
>>Sheperd or other large but calm dog.  Does anyone have a solution to this
>
>	I suggest you go to the local humane society and look for a nice
>dog. I got a 6 yr. old pure golden retriever at our local h.s. 3 yrs. ago
>and it has been a great dog. It stays alone in the house all day. I don't
>feel bad about leaving him alone all day because he's alot better off stuck
>in the house than being dead, which is what he would have been if I didn't
>take him. He had been there a week longer than than the normal 2 week
>max. already. They kept him alive that long because he was such a nice dog,
>but usually nobody wants an older dog. Dusty was fully trained and is a
>great dog.
>                                              good luck!

I also vote for getting an adult dog from the humane society (or equivalent).
The advantages are (a) doesn't need all the care and time that a pup does,
(b) you save a dog from death, (c) you can see what you will get as an
adult, and (d) the animal is usually trained.
  ...Larry Mazlack