[net.pets] Cats and music

tc@amd.UUCP (Tom Crawford) (12/04/85)

Last night I was watching the cat who lives at my house sleep through
some fairly complex music (5th Brandenburg) and he didn't seem to have
any reaction at all.  My question is "does anyone know of any studies
where people have actually instrumented cat's brains to determine how
many 'levels' music penetrates?".

				Tom Crawford
				...amdcad!amd!tc

booter@lll-crg.ARpA (Elaine Richards) (12/06/85)

In article <1995@amd.UUCP> tc@amd.UUCP (Tom Crawford) writes:
>Last night I was watching the cat who lives at my house sleep through
>some fairly complex music (5th Brandenburg) and he didn't seem to have
>any reaction at all.  My question is "does anyone know of any studies
>where people have actually instrumented cat's brains to determine how
>many 'levels' music penetrates?".
>
>				Tom Crawford
>				...amdcad!amd!tc

My cat gets crazed when she hears Frank Zappa sing Dancin' Fool. Also
it is a proven fact that The 1812 Overture played at top volume will
rouse all but white kitties with blue eyes (deaf, you know). I have
an album called "Classical Cats", which has the theme of cats. One song
has the vocalists meowing. This makes Mehitabel's ears turn completeley
around.

*****

rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (12/06/85)

> ...it is a proven fact that The 1812 Overture played at top volume will
> rouse all but white kitties with blue eyes (deaf, you know)...

Not completely so.  Deafness is associated with the gene that produces
white fur, but not with albinism (which leads to white fur+blue eyes, just
as in humans).  In other words, deafness is more common in white cats but
blue-eyed white cats are not always deaf.  (Aside:  albinism is recessive,
but white fur is (mostly?) dominant.  You figure it out.)

Another interesting experiment (barely related, but what the heck?): Play
something that has dogs barking, like "Good Morning" from Sgt. Pepper, and
watch cats that have never been outdoors perk up, ripple fur, and generally
assume defensive postures.
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...Are you making this up as you go along?

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (12/08/85)

> Not completely so.  Deafness is associated with the gene that produces
> white fur, but not with albinism (which leads to white fur+blue eyes, just
> as in humans).  In other words, deafness is more common in white cats but
> blue-eyed white cats are not always deaf.  (Aside:  albinism is recessive,
> but white fur is (mostly?) dominant.  You figure it out.)

	Albino cats have PINK eyes, just like albino rabbits, monkeys,
humans, etc.

--
jcpatilla

Earth is paid a diplomatic visit by giant extragalactic icky things
that understand us all too well and are truly cosmic and can be
killed by a crowd of peasants with torches.

djd@bcsaic.UUCP (dennis j. doherty) (12/08/85)

> Last night I was watching the cat who lives at my house sleep through
> some fairly complex music (5th Brandenburg) and he didn't seem to have
> any reaction at all.  My question is "does anyone know of any studies
> where people have actually instrumented cat's brains to determine how
> many 'levels' music penetrates?".
>
> 				Tom Crawford
> 				...amdcad!amd!tc
When I play Emersom, Lake and Palmer's "Fanfare for the Common Man"
real loud (as it should be played) my two cats (one all white with
gold eyes not blue) thier ears go back and they run and hide until
its over!

				Yours in UNIX
				   Dennis

kerry@ctvax (12/09/85)

One of the cats who allows me to live at "her" apartment seems to take a
dislike of anything done by Handel. However, she seemed to appreciate
Copeland's Portrait of Lincoln and actually inspected the speakers once
or twice to see if Henry Fonda might actually be hidden inside.

I think I will subject her to Richard Strauss sometime in the near future.

barb@oliven.UUCP (Barbara Jernigan) (12/23/85)

P.T. is very eclectic about most music.  Mostly she treats it as
background noise (once she figured the stereo speakers weren't some sort of
monster -- the first time we turned it on when she was in the house really
held her attention -- what WAS this mysterious noise coming from those
two boxes????)(Note: P.T. joined our household as an adult cat.).  But
occasionally she'll start and stare at the speakers -- usually when something
lively (jazz, folk) is playing.  Perhaps it's a [sound vibration] frequency
effect.

kerry@ctvax (12/24/85)

Don't tell me, the cat is now a 35 year-old yuppy living in Sacramento and
driving a Porsche 944 with a tape deck that plays nothing but old Bob Dylan
tunes.

I know of some people who started giving their cat a martini before dinner
every night. The feline soon began to develop a taste for fine Cuban cigars
and expensive three-piece tailored suits. The ultimate came, so I am told,
when the people came home early one evening and found their tom on the sofa
with a curvaceous kitty, both smoking Pall Malls and listening to Dean Martin
records.

ctvax!kerry

Send flames to net.litter_box.

        "When a cat brings in a slimy, smelly, dead thing and lays it at
         your feet, smile-- the cat loves you."