[net.pets] Shelties?

mcatee@hpfcla.UUCP (01/04/86)

I have been thinking about getting a couple of Sheltie (Shetland Sheepdog)
puppies and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them or
have any comments.  How difficult are they to train?  Are they well behaved?
Are they calm dogs?  I would also like to know what kind of care their hair
takes since it is so long.  Do they shed very much since I am planning on
keeping them both indoors and outdoors?

Also, I have been following the discussion on crate training and had a couple
of questions.  How well does crate training work with 2 dogs together?  Does
anything have to be done differently for 2 dogs than for 1?

Thanks,

Steve
hpfcla!mcatee

tj@alliant.UUCP (Tom Jaskiewicz) (01/09/86)

In article <70500004@hpfclr.UUCP> mcatee@hpfcla.UUCP writes:
>I have been thinking about getting a couple of Sheltie (Shetland Sheepdog)
>puppies and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them or
>have any comments.

The only thing more fun than a puppy is 2 puppies.

>  How difficult are they to train?

Comment:  I believe they are easily trained.  They are also smart.

>  Are they well behaved?  Are they calm dogs?

The ones I've known are bonkers.  They are often high-strung and timid.

>How well does crate training work with 2 dogs together?  Does
>anything have to be done differently for 2 dogs than for 1?

Works fine.  Just put 1 dog per crate.
--

+--------------------------------+
| uucp:  decvax!linus!alliant!tj |

sja@mhuxl.UUCP (Sam J. Anastasio) (01/09/86)

>    How well does crate training work with 2 dogs together?  Does
>    anything have to be done differently for 2 dogs than for 1?

I have two Shi-Tzu puppies that I have had wonderful results with crate
training.  I keep them in adjacent but separate crates, where they can
see each other and communicate(??).
I tried putting them in the same crate but they were too overly hyper
and excited, so I separated them with no apparent problems.  This has
worked for 5 months now, and they are alone for 9 or so hours each day.
Both dogs are happy and healthy.

Sam Anastasio         mhuxl!sja       AT&T Bell Labs     Reading, Pa

suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) (01/16/86)

> In article <70500004@hpfclr.UUCP> mcatee@hpfcla.UUCP writes:
> >I have been thinking about getting a couple of Sheltie (Shetland Sheepdog)
> >puppies and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them or
> >have any comments.
>
> >  Are they well behaved?  Are they calm dogs?
>
> The ones I've known are bonkers.  They are often high-strung and timid.

We have friends that own a sheltie. She is very calm and
friendly (for example, she'll come up to guests wagging her
tail, asking to be petted, and after a moment, resume whatever
she was previously doing). She doesn't jump, and seems very
intelligent.
--
Suzanne Barnett-Scott
uucp:	 ...{decvax,ihnp4,noao,savax,seismo}!terak!suze