[net.pets] Catnip

ted@teldata.UUCP (Ted Becker) (04/03/84)

*********
A few years ago my wife planted some catnip in out back yard and our cats
would discover it every so often an go crazy rolling in it.  It lasted for
about two years before the grass edged it out.  Ralph was most interested
in the catnip lived to be 15 years so I don't think it hurt him.

We also have a mostly black female who so no interest at all in catnip.  Is
there some gender or breed corelation to liking catnip?

tjj@ssc-vax.UUCP (T J Jardine) (04/05/84)

We have had at least one cat in our household for almost twenty years.
Never have had any problem that could even be remotely connected to the
use of catnip.  The most significant problem I've ever heard of with
respect to catnip is the children who got sick after rolling their own
cigarettes using catnip instead of tobacco.  The large paper bag sounds
like a good idea.  We spread out newspapers or just spread it over the
carpet and make sure to vacuum the next day.

"A ball of twine, a rubber mouse, and thou beneath the catnip tree"
	Ted Jardine
--
TJ (with Amazing Grace) The Piper
...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!tjj

walsh@ihuxi.UUCP (B. Walsh) (04/05/84)

I had an interesting experience with my two male cats. They love catnip,
and once I lost my mind momentarily (!) and let them have an olive.
They went nuts over it, as though it were catnip! They batted it around
(Yecchh! .. at least it was on linoleum), and rolled around on it just
like catnip.

And it was just a plain old stuffed green olive. I wonder what the
attraction was?

Cats are Crazy,

B. Walsh

claudia@emory.UUCP (Claudia Harrelson) (04/06/84)

I once had a cat. . .she loved giant olives.  She would
carry the olive around in her mouth, and then play with
it (to death) before eating it.

                    claudia

mike@aurora.UUCP (Mike Lee) (08/31/85)

I purchased a catnip plant for my cats a couple of weeks ago.
When I went to take some leaves off of it today I found that the
back of the leaves are infested with little dark green bugs.
Does anyone out there know how to get rid of them (ie insecticides)
without hurting my cats?  I appreciate the assistance.

Michael Lee

bob@astrovax.UUCP (Bob Masterson) (01/03/86)

This has probably been discussed here before, but...

Does anybody know the details of what catnip does to cats?  I got Zaphod
some for Christmas, and he completely freaked out (jumping around, doing
flips, and then zonking out on the couch for the rest of the day).  All this
made me wonder if catnip doesn't do something . . . bad to a cat's system.

Any more enlightened cat owners out there?

				Craig Kolb
						(~Bob)
							astrovax!bob

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (01/04/86)

> Does anybody know the details of what catnip does to cats?  I got Zaphod
> some for Christmas, and he completely freaked out (jumping around, doing
> flips, and then zonking out on the couch for the rest of the day).  All this
> made me wonder if catnip doesn't do something . . . bad to a cat's system.

	As far as I've been able to tell, no, although they do get habituated
to it, so you shouldn't give it to them very often. Catnip is also used by
people, but for the opposite reason - it has a tranquilising effect on humans.
None of my herbal sources lists any problem with it at, no more than you
would find with camomile or mint (catnip is a mint, by the way).

--
jcpatilla

"If we can send a man to the moon, why can't we send all of them ?"

msf@rayssd.UUCP (Michael S. Frank) (01/06/86)

> Does anybody know the details of what catnip does to cats?  I got Zaphod
> some for Christmas, and he completely freaked out (jumping around, doing
> flips, and then zonking out on the couch for the rest of the day).  All this
> made me wonder if catnip doesn't do something . . . bad to a cat's system.

I, too, would like to know.  I just recently gave my two 11 week old kittens
some catnip.  They didn't like it (I had to trick them into eating it by mixing
it with tuna).  After they did eat it, they were only slightly more active than
normal.  Are there some cats that catnip won't affect?  Did their age have
anything to do with it?
--
Michael Frank
allegra!rayssd!msf

<Include generic and specific disclaimers>
<about everything I say, do, and think!  >

marauder@fluke.UUCP (Bill Landsborough) (01/10/86)

In article <1776@rayssd.UUCP> msf@rayssd.UUCP (Michael S. Frank) writes:
>> Does anybody know the details of what catnip does to cats?  I got Zaphod
>> some for Christmas, and he completely freaked out (jumping around, doing
>> flips, and then zonking out on the couch for the rest of the day).  All this
>> made me wonder if catnip doesn't do something . . . bad to a cat's system.
>>
>I, too, would like to know.  I just recently gave my two 11 week old kittens
>some catnip.  They didn't like it (I had to trick them into eating it by mixing
>it with tuna).  After they did eat it, they were only slightly more active than
>normal.  Are there some cats that catnip won't affect?  Did their age have
>anything to do with it?
>--
>Michael Frank

Catnip is not meant to be injested, just smelled by the cats.  We
wrapped it up in a small sock and the cats just smell it and they get
crazy.  And it lasts for months like that.

Bill Landsborough

pete@valid.UUCP (Pete Zakel) (01/10/86)

> I, too, would like to know.  I just recently gave my two 11 week old kittens
> some catnip.
> --
> Michael Frank

Horrors!  Getting young kittens hooked on drugs! (:-)
Seriously, I've found that giving younger kittens catnip turns them off to
it.  I always wait til my cats are at least 6-8 months old before I introduce
them to the stuff (usually 1 year old) and they seem to enjoy it a lot.
Cats I've had that I gave catnip to when they were very young never liked
it when they got older.

-Pete Zakel (..!{hplabs,amd,pyramid}!pesnta!valid!pete)

smh@mhuxl.UUCP (henning) (01/11/86)

****                                                                 ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA mhuxl!smh

> Catnip is not meant to be injested, just smelled by the cats.

Catnip is a plant in the mint family.  My wife has a large patch in her
vegetable garden. About a dozen neighborhood cats enjoy it immensely
all year long.  They roll in it and eat it; yes EAT IT.  Since they are
all healthy and since it is a natural herb, I can't see anything wrong
with ingestion or were you jesting about injesting.  Also, if you believe
in a creator, I think only he/she knows what it was "meant" for.  Obviously
cats think it is meant to be eaten, and thoroughly enjoyed.  Even the
kittens in the neighborhood visit it regularly, even after they become
cats.

marauder@fluke.UUCP (Bill Landsborough) (01/13/86)

In article <451@mhuxl.UUCP> smh@mhuxl.UUCP (henning) writes:
>****                                                                 ****
>From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA mhuxl!smh
>
>> Catnip is not meant to be injested, just smelled by the cats.
>
>Catnip is a plant in the mint family.  My wife has a large patch in her
>vegetable garden. About a dozen neighborhood cats enjoy it immensely
>all year long.  They roll in it and eat it; yes EAT IT.

Sorry about that.  I was wrong about cats eating catnip.  Like you say
it is an herb and there should be nothing wrong them eating it.

Bill Landsborough

----

"He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we
become the righteousness of God in Him."  1Corinthians 5:21

tc@amd.UUCP (Tom Crawford) (01/15/86)

*this is gonna drive the line-eater totally crazy*

I think that catnip toys you buy at the pet store are much too expensive.  You
can make a perfectly seviceable catnip toy by getting bulk catnip ($.55 oz) at
any good herb or tea store.  You put a little on a small (say 3 in sq) piece
of fabric and tie it up with dental floss.  Don El Gato likes it best when I
use the pocket from an old white shirt.

Also you can grow it (as has been pointed out here recently).  I put it into
a cage (upside-down moss basket) to prevent it from grabbing the cat by the
cajones as he is strolling through his garden because he otherwise has a bad
habit of thrashing it.  As the guy across the street says, "yeah, they'll
smoke it all up in one day".

				Tom Crawford

augustc@zeus.UUCP (01/15/86)

> Also you can grow it (as has been pointed out here recently).  I put it into
> a cage (upside-down moss basket) to prevent it from grabbing the cat by the
> cajones as he is strolling through his garden because he otherwise has a bad
> habit of thrashing it.  As the guy across the street says, "yeah, they'll
> smoke it all up in one day".

I have never been able to grow catnip outdoor. They were not bother by
cats until they got to a certain size. Then they started making that volatile
oil that is so attractive to the local feline population and overnight
entire plants would disappear.

Also, a note on flea collar. It should not be so loose that the wearer
can stick its lower jaw into it while cleaning itself. It happened to
one of my former cats. The poor guy got his lower canine teeth caught
on the flea collar and had his jaw forced open for
the whole day while I was at work.

			Augustine C.

booter@lll-crg.ARpA (Elaine Richards) (01/16/86)

In article <2134@amd.UUCP> tc@amd.UUCP (Tom Crawford) writes:

>I think that catnip toys you buy at the pet store are much too expensive.  You
>can make a perfectly seviceable catnip toy by getting bulk catnip ($.55 oz) at
>any good herb or tea store.  You put a little on a small (say 3 in sq) piece
>of fabric and tie it up with dental floss.  Don El Gato likes it best when I
>use the pocket from an old white shirt.

Another note re:catnip toys. They are NOT always going to have catnip in
them. For Christmas, my roommate (an avowed Large Dog Man) decided to bury
the hatchet with Mehitabel by showering her with cat toys. She won't play
with them.

He suspected that the catnip sock was defective. He opened it up and emptied
it. IT WAS ENTIRELY STUFFED WITH STRAW!! Straw is decidedly not catnip. He
reloaded the thing with catnip and resewed (there is something very endearing
about a man wielding a needle and thread to amke peace with a 8 pound tabby).
The cat will at least sniff it and flop over (her way of being stoned).

Don't buy "catnip toys". Roll your own. After all, why should cat drugs be
any different than yours? :-)

*****

suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) (01/16/86)

> ****                                                                 ****
> From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA mhuxl!smh
>
> > Catnip is not meant to be injested, just smelled by the cats.
>
> Catnip is a plant in the mint family.  My wife has a large patch in her
> vegetable garden. About a dozen neighborhood cats enjoy it immensely
> all year long.  They roll in it and eat it; yes EAT IT.  Since they are
When I lived in Nebraska, I had catnip growing wild in my
flowerbeds. My cats did just as you describe, rolling in it
and eating it. Needless to say, with them rolling in it it
doesn't remain too attractive a plant, but as a mint, it is
enormously hardy. My cats have never been partial to the dried
stuff you can buy in the stores (either before or since their
experience with the live plants); I can't say I blame them.
try smelling the difference if you ever get the chance. The
dried stuff is musty/dusty smelling. The fresh stuff smells
like a mint.
--
Suzanne Barnett-Scott
uucp:	 ...{decvax,ihnp4,noao,savax,seismo}!terak!suze

szepesi@fluke.UUCP (Les Szepesi) (01/17/86)

> ****                                                                 ****
> From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA mhuxl!smh
>
> > Catnip is not meant to be injested, just smelled by the cats.
>
> Catnip is a plant in the mint family.  My wife has a large patch in her
> vegetable garden. About a dozen neighborhood cats enjoy it immensely
> all year long.  They roll in it and eat it; yes EAT IT.

After having eaten spaghetti sauce with catnip in place of oregano (don't ask)
I can testify that ingesting it is not a problem. Makes a strange sauce, though

--
Les Szepesi		decvax\
John Fluke Mfg Co.	ihnp4  >!uw-beaver\