[net.pets] net.pets

daemon@decwrl.UUCP (01/09/84)

From: gold::dzekevich
SUBJ: GOLDEN RETRIEVER PUPPY

To the Golden Puppy Owner:

I think that you are going to have to teach your 12 week old puppy some
submissive rules.  He is at the point where he will start test the hell
out of you.  It also sounds like he is trying to establish a dominance
over your 8 year-old.

In any event, he (the dog) has to be the bottom of the totem pole in your
family.  You and everyone in your family have to make him submit, otherwise
he will be out of hand when he gets big.  Golden males go to 90 pounds.

You should be your house's "pack leader".  When he does something wrong, grab
him by the scruff of his neck and pull him over, just like his mother would
do in the litter.  Also, once a day, make him submit.  Pick him up under
his forearms, facing you, and let his feet hang, just like his mother would
do.  Hanging feet is submissive.  Look him straight in the eyes, and if he
moves, shake him and tell him no.  Praise him when he settles down.  Do this
for a minute.  You should look him right in the eyes.  He will break eye
contact with you first.  This is a sign that he is submiting to you.

Also, once a day, roll him over, and stroke him around his groin area.  He
should stay still, and be submissive.

In summary, at 12 weeks, your Golden is trying to find his place in your
family, just like he did in the litter.  It is also the time that you must
"humanize" him.  You do it by doing submissive exercises with him, so that,
you will be the boss, and not him.

Have fun,
Regards,
Joe Dzekevich
decvax!decwrl!rhea!gold!dzekevich

megna@ludwig.DEC (Fred Megna HL1/H09 X6329) (10/12/84)

From: megna@ludwig.DEC  (Fred Megna HL1/H09 X6329)
Newsgroups: net.pets
To: net.pets
Subject: Re: Cat question - muscle spasms

  2 years old, they are both indoor/outdoor cats. I have noticed that since
  they were kittnes they would have muscle spasms when they slept. As a
  matter of fact every cat I can remember having ( and dogs too ) would
  have these "spasms" when they slept. I was under the impression that
  they were dreaming about running and/or fighting or something, because
  the spasms were allways in the paws/legs or the ears. As far as having
  spasms while purring, I haven't noticed this before, but sometimes the
  cat will turn it's head fast to give me a love bite while I'm scratching
  her. Sometimes she'll just turn her head fast and forget the bite.
  Mabe this is coincident with what your seeing.

	hope this helps

	Fred Megna
	Digital Equipment Corp.
	75 Reed Rd.
	Hudson, Ma. 01749

dzekevich@kirk.DEC (Joe Dzekevich) (01/14/85)

RE: Dogs taking pills.

Just to share another method.  When your dog is still a puppy - make
pill taking a game!  Start with brewers yeast or their daily heart
worm pill, if it is the season.

I get them to roll over, and I drop the pill down the hatch.  THEN, I
tickle their tummies and play with them for a minute.

Now, after using this technique on two dogs, all I have to do is shake the
pill bottle and they roll over and open-up wide.  Of coarse, I still have
to tickle their tummies.

The fellow at the kennel can't believe it.  We have the only dogs who beg for
their heart worm pills!

Good luck and make it fun!

Joe

joe@ccice6.UUCP (Joe DiBenedetto II) (01/18/85)

> RE: Dogs taking pills.
>
> Just to share another method.  When your dog is still a puppy - make
> pill taking a game!  Start with brewers yeast or their daily heart
> worm pill, if it is the season.
>
> I get them to roll over, and I drop the pill down the hatch.  THEN, I
> tickle their tummies and play with them for a minute.
>
> Now, after using this technique on two dogs, all I have to do is shake the
> pill bottle and they roll over and open-up wide.  Of coarse, I still have
> to tickle their tummies.
>
> The fellow at the kennel can't believe it.  We have the only dogs who beg for
> their heart worm pills!
>
> Good luck and make it fun!
>
> Joe

Joe,
dp
Joe,
Are you a bigtime  breeder ? Sounds like you are. Or are you a small breeder ?

Know anyone looking to by Lhasa Apso Puppies . Let me know
											Joe DiBenedetto
        ccice6:joe

joe@ccice6.UUCP (Joe DiBenedetto II) (08/20/85)

I would like to only post this once and only once. I have 3 Lhasa Apso
puppies for sale. 3 males, yes just 3 males. If there are any reasonable
interested buyers please contact me at the following number, nights only.

			(716) 288-2657

joe@ccice6.UUCP (Joe DiBenedetto II) (08/28/85)

thiskjlkdcjlkwdjlkefdjlkeekdjlervdk
cdjkhdjkh

abramsb@usrcv1.DEC (Bill Abrams, 716 726-2971) (01/09/86)

Subj: Kittens getting along

kittens would get along together, let me tell you what
I've found...

We started with one male kitten, Klaus, who grew up by himself, largely
unattended during college and then work.  At age two, we got a
female kitten, Katrina, on the recommendation that a male/female set
is best....   Well, it took a long time before Klaus would even
acknowlege the existence of poor Katrina.  One reason is that Klaus
like to play rough, wrestling and gnawing on your hands, while Katrina
preferred more dainty forms of play, like strings and twist ties.

Then, three months later, along came a stray 4 month old male, Phantom.
It only took a week for both Klaus and Katrina to accept him, when they
both found out that Phantom will play games with each one THEIR way.

The overwhelming evidence, though,  is that Klaus and Phantom play
together the best, and enjoy each other's company the best.  Katrina tires
of games quickly and would rather play by herself most of the time.

Klaus and Phantom are both more affectionate, and seek out human and/or
each other's company much more often than Katrina does.  So, we think
for one kitten get a female, for two, get two males, for three or more --
any mix!

Sorry I can't say anything about kittens from the same litter, but I've
heard it's a good idea... Anyone else?

		Bill Abrams
		Digital Equiptment Corp.
		1250 Pittsford-Victor Rd.
		Rochester, N.Y. 14692
		(716) 223-2360 x2228
		!{allegra,ihnp4}!decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-usrcv1!abramsb

wiebe@ut-ngp.UUCP (Anne Hill Wiebe) (01/09/86)

Regarding the request for info on what gender of kittens get
along best....  personally, I think there's a lot more
between-cat variation than between-sex variation.  That is,
I think some males are playful, some standoffish, some hostile, etc.
etc.

But I strongly believe that kittens from the same litter who grow
up together have the best chance of being good friends.  I have
two six-year-olds who grew up together; they wash each other, play
together, come to each other's rescue ... they're spayed females.
Actually, from the same litter is nice, but the main thing is that
they grow up together.  Two kittens from the Humane Society of the
same age would do nicely, too.  I think you have to observe the
kittens involved to determine some of their personality traits, to
see if they're congenial or what.

Introducing a kitten to a cat can be disastrous!  I have an adult
cat who was permanently traumatized by the unflagging hostility she
experienced from an older cat, when she was a kitten.  After three
months of hating the kitten at full force, the cat ran away.

Good luck.  - Anne

barb@oliven.UUCP (Barbara Jernigan) (01/22/86)

> from Bill Abrams,
> Subj: Kittens getting along
> ...Katrina [the female]
> preferred more dainty forms of play, like strings and twist ties.

That's more a matter of personality than gender.  Fat Cat was female,
and she and her sister beat up German Shepherds for kicks (really).

Klaus ignoring Katrina could have been as much a matter of jealousy
as of personality ---- Phantom must have a lot of charisma.

> Sorry I can't say anything about kittens from the same litter, but I've
> heard it's a good idea... Anyone else?

It's an o.k. idea (and often easier in the kitten selection).  The problem
is there is a lot more 'political' interplay between litter mates (the
aggressive become more so, the meek become more so).  I've done it both
ways -- if I had my druthers I'd have six or more cats.  The litter mates
got along equally as well as non-litter mates.  I agree, males get along
with males a bit better than females with males and females with females
-- some sort of bachelor camadarie, I assume ;-)  But that has little to
do with my kitten "selection" -- see below.

Males *tend* to roam a bit more, and, if not fixed soon enough, spray the
furniture (although I have heard of females showing the same tendency).  The
males I had also tended to get into more fights (though I know of equally
inclined females).  Females run the risk of getting pregnant before getting
fixed.  (Actually, I feel one pregnancy is good for the cat's emotional
development.)

Personally, when picking kittens, I rarely cared for male-female options.
My method is to sit in the midst of a litter, and the one who falls asleep
in my lap (or is always there when I turn around -- my all-time favorite
kitty was picked that way) comes home with me.  You could say the cat has
as much or more say in the selection process than I do.  Anne McCaffrey calls
this 'Impression'.  I call it successful ;-).  (Although, if the entire
litter falls asleep in your lap, you may be in trouble!!!)

Hope this helps,

Barb