[net.pets] Cats and collars

scott@hou2g.UUCP (The Brennan Monster) (01/08/86)

There are special types of "breakaway" collars for
cats.  The kind I use has a piece of elastic sewn
into the leather (like a "bridge" between the two
ends) which allows some expansion in the collar when
tension is applied.  This lets the cat escape if the
collar gets caught on something.  There are also, I
understand, velcro collars the cat can actually get out
of if necessary.

For flea collars, you're kinda stuck.  However, if you
put it on loosely enough (so that it can *just* be slid
off over the cat's head) you should be OK.  I've never had
either of my cats slip out of the collar unnecessarily--they
don't seem to mind wearing them.  Note that if the collar is
TOO loose, the cat can get an arm caught inside with the neck.
This is probably not too dangerous (unless it's in the middle
of a fight), though it can sure scare the hell out of the cat.

Oh, and by the way, buy at least two ID tags--your cat may come
home with no collar one day.  It happened to me.

			Scott Berry
			ihnp4!hou3g!scott

kathyv@lumiere.UUCP (Kathy Vineyard) (01/10/86)

In article <755@hou2g.UUCP> scott@hou2g.UUCP (The Brennan Monster) writes:

>There are special types of "breakaway" collars for
>cats.  The kind I use has a piece of elastic sewn
>into the leather (like a "bridge" between the two
>ends) which allows some expansion in the collar when
>tension is applied.  This lets the cat escape if the
>collar gets caught on something.  There are also, I
>understand, velcro collars the cat can actually get out
>of if necessary.
>
>For flea collars, you're kinda stuck.  However, if you
>put it on loosely enough (so that it can *just* be slid
>off over the cat's head) you should be OK.  I've never had

The kind of flea collar I use for my cat comes with the piece of elastic
sewn in like he was describing for the leather collar.   The brand is
called Escort brand and you can get it from veterinarians.  As far as
I know, my cat has never gotten stuck and has never lost his collar.

Kathy Vineyard

tektronix!lumiere!kathyv

chris@globetek.UUCP (chris) (01/10/86)

This is a quick warning not to make your cat's collar TOO loose -- I
had the collar on my little guy fairly loose (just slip over head), and
came home to find the poor fellow with a front paw caught up through the
collar.  He must have had a go at trying to get it off, and got his foot
stuck!  No lasting damage, but he was pretty stiff and a bit sore.  I tightened
the collar up a notch, and no more problems.  I'm glad he was inside, though,
and not outside on someone's roof when he did that!
--

Christine Robertson  {linus, ihnp4, decvax}!utzoo!globetek!chris

Money may not buy happiness, but misery in luxury has its compensations...

fetrow@entropy.UUCP (David Fetrow) (01/11/86)

 According to the wonderful book "How to Talk to Your Cat" the very, very
best collar is a homemade loop of white elastic with the necessary info
written in laundry marker. Cheap, easy, fast, light and safe: what more
can one ask? Bastguy and Darkstar feel pretty good about them.

--

  -"Daphnia Dave" Fetrow

{ ihnp4, fluke, tektronix, uw-june }!uw-beaver!entropy!fetrow :UUCP
  entropy!fetrow@uw-june.arpa                                 :ARPA

salex@rice.EDU (Scott Alexander) (01/12/86)

In article <755@hou2g.UUCP>, scott@hou2g.UUCP (The Brennan Monster) writes:

> For flea collars, you're kinda stuck.  However, if you
> put it on loosely enough (so that it can *just* be slid
> off over the cat's head) you should be OK.  I've never had
> either of my cats slip out of the collar unnecessarily--they
> don't seem to mind wearing them.  Note that if the collar is
> TOO loose, the cat can get an arm caught inside with the neck.
> This is probably not too dangerous (unless it's in the middle
> of a fight), though it can sure scare the hell out of the cat.

I have seen a flea collar, advertised as new, which does have an expansion
element in it for just this purpose.  I don't recall the brand right now,
but if no one else knows who makes it and there is enough demand, I could
stop back by the pet store and check.  (My cats are indoor cats so I only
buy flea collars when they have been exposed to fleas.)

Scott Alexander
salex@rice.edu

barb@oliven.UUCP (Barbara Jernigan) (01/22/86)

> For flea collars, you're kinda stuck.

No you're not.  They make break-away flea collars, too.  Can't
remember the brand, but check your pet-store.  They're a bit
more expensive, however.

Barb