[net.pets] cat resembles rasta-man

mr-b@lll-crg.ARpA (Righteous Dude) (02/11/86)

Our cat, Hetty, really likes to chow down on o' the catnip. She'll walk
into the kitchen and go "MEOW?" and scratch at the cabinet where we keep
her "stash".

Is there anything else that I can feed her that she would enjoy? Is it
easy to grow my own catnip?

--
Mr. B

Live from sunny^H^H^H^H^Hcold California

kanner@tymix.UUCP (Herb Kanner) (02/11/86)

Yes, it is very easy to grow your own catnip, but I don't know where you
get seeds or starter plants.  It is a kind of mint, in fact, in the UK it
is called catmint.  Mint grows like crazy.  One potential problem.  On our
first try at transplanting some, our cat discovered it before it had a
couple of days to take root firmly, and she loved it to death.  On our
second try, we put it in a more obscure spot in the garden and the two or
the unmolested days were sufficient for it to survive.

--
Herb Kanner
McDonnell Douglas (TYMNET)

kan@ihlpg.UUCP (Casali) (02/12/86)

> Our cat, Hetty, really likes to chow down on o' the catnip. She'll walk
> into the kitchen and go "MEOW?" and scratch at the cabinet where we keep
> her "stash".
>
> Is there anything else that I can feed her that she would enjoy? Is it
> easy to grow my own catnip?
>

> --
> Mr. B

The new cat treats (my cat likes the liver ones) are really enjoyed
by my cat. As far as growing catnip, here in Illinois it grows as a weed
in many areas. When you do plant it (in a sunny place) and the outdoor
cats dont eat it down it will take over a large space in your garden
after a few years (its a perenial). The seed are ussally available
in garden stores that sell herb seeds.

scott@hou2g.UUCP (Mr. Berry) (02/12/86)

> Is there anything else that I can feed her that she would enjoy?

My cats really go for something called "Fish Treats" from Hartz
(You can get them in just about any grocery store in the pet section
with the flea collars and toys).  I'd never in my life heard a
*kitten* growl until I tried to take one away from my youngest, Gandalf.
(He nearly took my hand off!)

"What are you doing?"
"Examining the world's major religions.  I'm looking for something that's
 light on morals, has lots of holidays, and with a short initiation period."
		Scott J. Berry		ihnp4!hou2g!scott

rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) (02/13/86)

In article <804@hou2g.UUCP> scott@hou2g.UUCP (Mr. Berry) writes:
>My cats really go for something called "Fish Treats" from Hartz
>(You can get them in just about any grocery store in the pet section
>with the flea collars and toys).  I'd never in my life heard a
>*kitten* growl until I tried to take one away from my youngest, Gandalf.
>(He nearly took my hand off!)

My SO at the time found our female, Kodi, by the side of the interstate
when the kitten was roughly 4-5 weeks old.  She had apparently had to
fight for a living; and we found that we could all enjoy great amusement
by feeding her french fries -- she would immediately start growling and
back away, then would throw the french fry up in the air and pounce on
it with all fours several times to "kill" it before scarfing it.  I can't
give her very many, of course, but she's still a french fry fanatic.

Kodi was a real hellion at first because she had spent so little time
with her mother in the formative first weeks (we surmised).
We got our male, Sam, when both were about 6-7 weeks old, and it was
very interesting to me to watch Kodi learn from him the social graces,
grooming, play-without-inflicting-death, and all the other neat things
that I'd always taken for granted in a cat.

My apologies for the rambling; I've been up all night,
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj