[net.pets] Nepeta Cataria

wjr@frog.UUCP (STella Calvert) (02/14/86)

In article <660@tymix.UUCP> kanner@tymix.UUCP (Herb Kanner) writes:
>Yes, it is very easy to grow your own catnip, but I don't know where you
>get seeds or starter plants.

The packet I have ready for this spring is from the Fredonia Seed Co,
Fredonia, NY, 14063.  Found it on the seed rack at a supermarket.

As the packet says, "It is a perennial and a fairly large plant which
will grow to 2 or 3 feet high."

Speaking of which, I've known some rastakitties that had even more
expensive tastes.  So if your furries prefer catnip to peoplenip, be
glad!

Culture instructions from the packet say, "Sow seeds about .25" deep
in the spring or summer.  Germinates in about 14 days."

The only connection I have with Fredonia is loving the movie and
buying the seeds.

When I piled some catnip outside my apartment once to dry a bit for my
cat, it self-seeded.  It's not hard.  But if you try it as a
houseplant, I'd suggest finding a place you can catproof when it's
starting, till it gets established.

				STella Calvert

		Every man and every woman is a star.

Guest on:	...!decvax!frog!wjr
Life:		Baltimore!AnnArbor!Smyrna!<LotsOfHitchhikingAndShortVisits>
			!SantaCruz!Berkeley!AnnArbor!Taxachusetts
Future:			...	(!L5!TheBelt!InterstellarSpace)