[net.pets] Pets, Teeth, Electric Cords, etc.

dhf@faron.UUCP (David H. Friedman) (02/13/86)

++++++++++++++++++++
++ bugs keep out! ++
++++++++++++++++++++

   If you think cats are bad in this respect, try rabbits. It's not easy to
stifle a natural grazing instinct combined with the need to keep those big
incisors ground down. We used to let our two albino doe bunnies out of the
cage regularly for exercise, but soon started to discover toothmarks in the
lamp cords, unauthorized carpentry in progress on the lower rear parts of
furniture, and finally a big hole in the carpet. The simple solution: end
of playtime privileges except at such times as they can be thoroughly
supervised and kept out of mischief. I should add that these are big-mama
rabbits, about 4 years old, weighing in at about 18 pounds each, and not
easily intimidated. When they thump, it's about -4 on the Richter scale.
   BTW, if the question should ever come up: It's been established that
rabbits and hares belong to a separate mammalian order (Lagomorpha) and
they get very insulted if you refer to them as rodents.

happy@sortac.UUCP (20SO940210) (02/20/86)

In article <473@faron.UUCP> dhf@faron.UUCP (David H. Friedman) writes:
>The simple solution: end
>of playtime privileges except at such times as they can be thoroughly
>supervised and kept out of mischief.

We also were the proud owners of a 'big-mama' white rabbit who just adored
chewing electric/phone cords.  Try a little tabasco sauce on the cords . . .
Worked great for us.

GayLynn McManus
{akgua|akguc|ihnp4}!sortac!happy

klick@ihu1g.UUCP (vickie klick) (02/21/86)

	Our second cat developed an interest in chewing on electric cords.
We noticed that he only chewed on cords which happened to be in spots
he was (lying, sitting, playing) in.  Our solution was to put potted plants,
throw rugs, etc.  over the cords so they were out of harm's way.
The only ones we didn't do that with were the speaker wires, and Clyde
did chew them up.  We replaced those with heavier wire and (eventually) ran them
under the carpet.  Fortunately, he grew out of that stage...
	By the way, we have two cats and a dog, all strays, who live
and play together happily.  (It's funny to watch our first cat, who acts
like he owns the place, taking food away from a dog five times his size...)
	Vickie Klick ihnp4!ihuxa!klick
	AT&T Bell Laboratories, Naperville, IL