[net.pets] Animals under Car Hoods

tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) (03/25/86)

> This reminds me of a warning that may have save a cat's life. If you
> have a car with lots of space under the hood, then you should tap your
> horn before you start your car up during the winter. If there is room,
> cats will sometimes crawl up into the motor compartment to get a
> little warmth.

    I have heard of this, but have no first hand knowledge of cats
    getting under a hood.

    However, while I was away at Siggraph last summer a mouse built a
    nest INSIDE THE CARBURETOR of my 1980 Corolla sedan.  It's not clear
    how much damage was actually done by the mouse (the car was due for some
    renovation anyway), but for days I was pulling nesting material out
    (the mice I got right away, I think).

    Not kidding,

    Tom Gross
    Apollo Computer, Inc.
    Chelmsford, MA

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) (03/27/86)

In article <2cb0eca1.2a75@apollo.uucp>, tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) writes:
> > This reminds me of a warning that may have save a cat's life. If you
> > have a car with lots of space under the hood, then you should tap your
> > horn before you start your car up during the winter. If there is room,
> > cats will sometimes crawl up into the motor compartment to get a
> > little warmth.
>
>     I have heard of this, but have no first hand knowledge of cats
>     getting under a hood.

   Actually happens!  A few years back, a neighbor of ours came screaming
hysterically to us..seems she had gotten in the car to go to the store, and
when she went to start the engine, there was a gawdawful racket under the
hood, and a cat went shreiking off into the bushes.

   Apparently the cat had been sleeping on the valve cover, and when the engine
started, his tail got caught by the fan.  In any case, the cat lost ~~2/3
of his tail, and a sizable portion of the fur and skin on his hind-quarters.
It took us 6 hours to calm him down enough so we could catch him and take
him to the vet.

   Poor cat...poor lady!

--

====================================

Disclaimer:  I hereby disclaim any and all responsibility for disclaimers.

tom keller
{ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020

(* we may not be big, but we're small! *)

garth@inuxd.UUCP (Garth Johnson) (03/28/86)

Once I was helping a friend get his car started in the parking lot
where we worked.  We opened the hood and took off the air cleaner to
get a better look at the carb.  Upon closer inspection we found .
5 or 6 large bones, like you might find in a roast or steak, sitting
on the intake manifold.  We weren't quite sure how they got there.  Later
I came up with the idea that a rat may have found the bones in the trash
and put them there.  This occurred in Detroit, so I have no doubt
that there were plenty of rats around.  Has anyone else ever found bones
in there engine compartment?  Does anyone have any theories on how these
bones, big bones, got there?  Maybe you should check under your hood.

			Garth Johnson