[net.micro.cpm] Intel 2716 and TI 2716

RMS.G.EH%MIT-OZ%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (06/18/83)

From:  Edward Huang <RMS.G.EH%MIT-OZ@mit-mc>

Hello,
I'm building a EPROM programmer (See the superb Ciacia's
Circut Cellar in BYTE) for 2716 eproms. The Heath H89 uses
TMS2716 not Intel 2716 5volt eproms. I got a pinout of
the TMS2716 but am not sure of how to program it. Seems
like Vcc pin must be grounded (PE) and VDD (+12) applied
plus two pins switched around so the TMS2716 can be used
in a i2716 socket/programmer.    Thank you, -Ed

Clements@BBNA.ARPA (06/20/83)

From:  Bob Clements <Clements@BBNA.ARPA>

My advice is to ignore TMS2716's. TI should be shot for using the
same number (2716) for a three-voltage version of the one-voltage
2716.

Both chips are so cheap now that you can afford to throw out your
few TMS2716's and replace them with real 2716's. Then you only have to
program one kind. The H19 allows jumpering for either kind. I don't
know about the H89's processor card, but I'd bet it was the same
way.

(The TI version of the "real" 2716 is called a TMS2516, by the way.)

/Rcc
-------

JTW%mit-xx@sri-unix.UUCP (06/21/83)

From:  John T. Wroclawski <JTW@mit-xx>

	From: Bob Clements <Clements@BBNA.ARPA>
	Subject: Re: Intel 2716 and TI 2716 (TMS2716)

	My advice is to ignore TMS2716's. TI should be shot for using the same
	number (2716) for a three-voltage version of the one-voltage 2716.

Good advice, but you have shot the wrong people. The TI (3 voltage)
2716 was a quite correctly numbered compatible follow-on product to
the (3 voltage) 2708 and 2704 series. It was also available well
before the 1-voltage product. It is Intel that ought to be shot for
giving the same family number to a radically different device.

-john
-------

RMS.G.EH%MIT-OZ%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (06/23/83)

From:  Edward Huang <RMS.G.EH%MIT-OZ@mit-mc>

Hello,
Thanks for your replies (Bob Clements,I dont know but OZ refuses
to reply to your net site so sending your reply here instead)
Well, i'm not going to use the TMS2716 (yeech..3 volt supplies)
but reason I asked is that I wanted to try to read some TMS2716
EPROMS with my new programmer/reader. Hmmm...Maybe both Intel
and TMS should be shot...the numbering is out of whack. 2716
should belong to Intel as Intel stuff are 27xx ....
Ti caused confusion as its eproms are 25xx but had a 2716
in its line with diff voltage...oh well....just like those
famous laws (forgot the name). Anyway,...enough on this
subject.. thanks to those who replied.
-Ed
-------