[net.micro.cpm] MDM710 now available

W8SDZ%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (06/25/83)

From:  Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@mit-mc>

MDM710, the latest in the MODEM7 series, is now available from MIT-MC as
   AR61:CPM;MDM710 LBR
   AR61:CPM;MDM710 TXT
The LBR file is stored in ITS "COM style" binary format, may be FTP'ed
by those who can use binary mode or TENEX mode in FTP.  The four-byte
ITS header may be removed on YOUR CP/M system by running my ITSCVT
program.  It's available as AR13:CPM;ITSCVT HEX.  You'll need LU.COM
(the library utility program) to extract the files from the LBR.

Additional detailed information on MDM710:

TOPIC :  MODEM710 PHONE MODEM GENERAL INTEREST DATA

FROM  :  IRV HOFF W6FFC

DATE  :  22 JUNE 83

     MDM710 is the latest in the "MODEM7" telephone modem series.  After
MODEM 7.98, the program became known as MDM700, etc.  At that time the
external macro library was combined into the source code plus other
changes.  Numerous overlay files were added for various computers to
make the program useful for a large number of different systems.  Orig-
inally it worked only with the PMMI plug-in modem for the S-100 bus.  It
now also supports the Hayes 300 and 1200 and U. S. Robotics modems.  It
is the only modem program that offers auto-dialing and auto-continuous
redialing for all these modems.

     Overlay files are included in MDM710.LBR for Apple, Datapoint, NEC,
Heath H89, Kaypro, Morrow, Osborne, PMMI, Televideo, Xerox and Zenith.
There is also a "general purpose" overlay to readily adapt to other sys-
tems not mentioned.

     MDM710 has numerous changes over previous programs.  The MDM710.UPD
update file lists many of these changes.  It is in the MDM710.LBR group.
There are 13 overlay files for various computers and one additional file
for easily changing the phone number library.  MDM710.IQF explains what
each of the programs is for, plus has some comments similar to these re-
garding how to use the overlays in the easiest manner.

     Let's say you have a Heath H89, for example.  You would wish to get
(download) the following three files from that library group:

     MDM710H8.AQM	(Heath overlay file)
     MDM710.COM		(Master Object code, ready to use for PMMI)
     MDM710.DQC		(Squeezed instruction guide)

and perhaps the MDM710.UQD update file:

     You would unsqueeze MDM710H8.AQM, edit the options to if not set
the way you prefer, then assemble it (ASM.COM is fine).  Refer to the
instructions in the overlay file to combine the MDM710.COM file with the
MDM710H8.HEX file you just got when assembling MDM710H8.ASM.  All this
will only take a few minutes.   It is actually very simple.  The program
is then ready to use.  If unfamilar with this type modem program, read
MDM710.DOC and try it out.

     0103H  FF for PMMI, 00 if not PMMI
     0104H  FF for Hayes Smartmodem 300 or 1200 or US Robotics
     0105H  54 for touch-tone dialing or 50 for pulse-dialing
                   (only applicable for the Hayes or Robotics)

     These bytes are automatically selected when edited into the approp-
riate overlay.

      If you have never downloaded a particular file from a library
      group, you can do it this way:  Use LDIR to see what is in the
      library:

B>LDIR MDM710   <ret>      shows contents of the .LBR group
B>LTYPE MDM710 MDM710.UQD  types the MDM710.UQD file for your inspection
B>XMODEM L MDM710 MDM710.COM   downloads the  .COM file only

					- Irv Hoff