rconn@brl@sri-unix.UUCP (09/03/83)

From:      Rick Conn <rconn@brl>

I thought everyone would be interested in this item from Sol.  This
was in regard to my earlier message.

----- Forwarded message # 1:

Date: 27 August 1983 09:07 EDT
From: Sol Libes <SLIBES @ MIT-MC>
Subject:  S-100 bus faster than Multibus?
To: rconn @ BRL
cc: SLIBES @ MIT-MC, decvax!decwrl!turtleva!ken @ UCB-VAX

  At Microsystems we are now undertaking an evaluation of th
Lightening One system form Lomas Data Systems.  This is an S-100
system with an 8 Mhz 8086 processor and math and I/O coprocessors.
Also in discussions with Mark Garetz, chairman of the IEEE-696/S-100
standard commmittee, I have been given to understand that he has built
prototype S-100 systems that have run at over 10Mhz using sample chips
that I gather are not yet in production......Sol

----- End of forwarded messages

POURNE@mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (09/05/83)

From:  Jerry E. Pournelle <POURNE@mit-mc>

Compupro has -- in fact I have a copy of -- an 8086/8087 S-100
machine that runs at 8 mhz with the 8087 aboard and 10 if you
don't use the 8087.  (Obviously you need one of the superfast
8087 chips, not so easy to come by yet, from Intel.)  One
presumes that the S-100 bus is good up to about 10-12 mHz after
which it probably begins to degrade.
	The last statement is a guess; I gathern tat Godbout's
people are still t esting.
	Add that to the 10 mHz 68000 fylstra reports and you see
the IEEE-696 isn't dead yet.