abc%brl-bmd@sri-unix.UUCP (11/22/83)

From:      A B Cooper III <abc@brl-bmd>

Your untoward outburst about advertising on the net is both impolite and
uninformed.  If your parents did nothing about your manners, then neither
can I.  As to your lack of awareness, however, I have provided the following
note put out by the administrator if Info-Micro to his net.

Continued flagrant violations of the policies by which these nets are
constrained will only cause all of us to lose a valuable resource for which
we pay essentially NOTHING.

Brinton Cooper
(abc@brl.arpa)

Date:     Mon, 21 Nov 83 13:35:52 EST
From:     Ron Natalie <ron@brl-vgr>
To:       Mark Horton <cbosgd!mark@ucb-vax>
cc:       header-people@mit-mc.arpa, Rudy.Nedved@cmu-cs-a.arpa
Subject:  Re:  Rudy Nedved on mail forwarding

Let me point out, that despite what ARPANET (and MILNET) has become,
they enjoy some operating benefits that are legally unavailable to
commercial telecommunications and computer services.  This is THE
major reason for the anti-commercial restriction on these nets for
it has always been stated in the first few lines of every ARPANet
policy statement that the net is not to be used to compete with
comparable commercial service.

Second policy is that the network must be used solely for the conduct
of or in support of official U.S. Government business.  This is a
wide area.  All the discussions about things like Apple computers
are in support of the US Gov. because (unfortunately maybe?) the
government has bought a lot of Apple computers.

DCA has left it up to the host administrators at each site to protect
the network with "adequate" access control procedures.  In this case
you are right, let the host administrators determine what level of
interaction he wants to support, but it is not just a question of
what money he is paying for his network service.

-Ron

Wegeng.Henr@PARC-MAXC.ARPA (11/23/83)

From:  Don Wegeng <Wegeng.Henr@PARC-MAXC.ARPA>

The problem that we face when discussing the subject of "commercial use
of the net" is that while ARPANET and MILNET have policies against
commercial use of the net, Usenet does not.  In fact, commercial use of
Arpanet and Milnet is illegal.

I suspect that most readers on both sides of the gateway appriciate the
benefits of having the list gatewayed between the nets, and therefore do
not post messages which might cause the gateway to be shut down.
However, this is one instance when a few bad apples have a very good
chance of spoiling the whole bunch if they continue at their present
course.

Don Wegeng

Wegeng.Henr@Parc-Maxc.ARPA				(ARPA)
{intelca | pur-ee | rocksvax | sequent} !rocks34!dw	(UUCP)