[net.micro.cpm] Stickyfying SIMTEL20

cpmlist%brl-vgr@sri-unix.UUCP (01/27/84)

From:      Dave Towson (info-cpm) <cpmlist@brl-vgr>

I thought this was of sufficiently general interest to pass along to the list.

----- Forwarded message # 1:

Date: 25 January 1984 22:32 EST
From: Stephen C. Hill <STEVEH @ MIT-MC>
Subject:  Stickyfying SIMTEL20
To: info-cpm-request @ BRL-VGR
cc: STEVEH @ MIT-MC

Is there any method that can be used, while FTPing, that allows
one to not have to keep repeating MICRO:<CPM.xxxx> every time
that you GET a file or get a DIRectory listing?

----- End of forwarded messages

Steve - Here at Aberdeen Proving Ground, we are running a lot of UNIX systems.
This includes the machine from which info-cpm is distributed.  UNIX allows for
command-language programs, or shell-scripts, and  we have used this feature to
good advantage in making the job of FTPing much simpler.  At present, this
system of programs is rather klugey, being composed of many bits and pieces that
all have to be available for the whole thing to work.  But work it does.  If I
type the command line "cpmug 029 sap.asm" it automatically calls simtel20 and
moves the file "micro:<cpmug.vol029>sap.asm" to a file having the name "sap.asm"
in the calling directory.  Using the editor, I can create a shell-script with
entries on separate lines having the form "x program.name", and then use the
search-and-replace feature of the editor to substitute the string "cpmug 029"
(adjust for different volume number) in place of "x".  That's fairly quick and
easy to do.  Then if I mark the file just created as executable, I can run it
and move a whole batch of stuff automatically.  The main file-mover portion of
this kluge was written by Fred Brundick <fsbrn@brl-voc>.  It creates command
strings which are fed to FTP.  It uses several "subroutines", which are in
separate files.  I've never added-up the number of different files that must be
present to make what I've just described work, but it could easily be ten or so.
It's a real lashup - but it WORKS!  Fred is planning to make a nice civilized,
all-in-one-hunk version someday, but it is now on the stack.  Other than this
sort of approach, I don't know of any way to reduce the typing involved in
moving a bunch of files via FTP.

Dave

GZ%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (01/27/84)

From:  Gail Zacharias <GZ@mit-mc>

The FTP protocol has a CWD (change working directory) command.  Check the
documentation on your FTP program to see whether it provides an interface
to it.  For instance in TOPS-20 FTP you should be able to say
CWD MICRO:<CPM.FILUTL>
to change the default directory to micro:<cpm.filutl>.

If there is no such command in your FTP, or if it doesn't work, check if
there is a "quote" or "verbatim" command, which you can use to send CWD raw.
For instance in ITS FTP you should be able to say
QUOTE CWD MICRO:<CPM.FILUTL>
to get the same effect.