[net.micro.cpm] reply to mike@brl-vgr

rick@genrad.UUCP (Rick Frerichs) (02/22/84)

sorry to post this to the net but usenet can't send mail to arpanet I guess.
and it is of general interest.

>From decvax!harpo!seismo!hao!hplabs!sri-unix!mike@brl-vgr Thu Feb 16 09:42:33 1984
>
>From:      Mike Muuss <mike@brl-vgr>
>
>I know that a VAX UNIX (4.2 BSD) program to read/write 8" CPM floppies
>on the VAX 780 console floppy drive exists.  I find myself in the
>embarrassing position of needing a copy for one of our users.
>Can somebody please provide a copy, or pointers?
>	Best,
>	 -Mike Muuss

There is a program called cpmfloppy.c which works very well and I have used
it both on 4.1 and SYSTEM III with no problems at all.  I tried to send it
to you but it got bounced back.  The top of the manual page has the following
paragraph:

	The following is the manual page for a program to
deal with floppies in cpm format. It is a modified version of
the program by Wohl (wohl@cmuc), but is interactive and a
little more user-friendly.  If anyone is interested, post
cbl!wwb for the source.

I hope that maybe somebody on arpanet can help you or if you can give me
a USENET address, I will resend it.  It seems to be public domain as long
as all the credits are left in.

				rick frerichs
				decvax!genrad!rick

ps:	the following stuff is at the head of the source file:

/* copyright (c) by Aaron Wohl, 1981,1982
  written by Aaron Wohl 12-24-81 (wohl@cmuc)
  This file may be used for non-profit use provided this
    this notice remains at the front of the file.

  This program reads and writes cpm format floppy disks.
  cpm is a trade mark of Digital Reasearch.  It runs under
  version 7 unix.  unix is a trademark of bell labs.
  See the function help() for documentation.

  please mail any bug fixes to wohl@cmuc
  the source for this file is on the unix host vlsi@cmuc
    pathname /usr/avw/cpmutl/cpmutlVERSION-NUMBER.c
    vlsi is on the arpanet running TCP-IP
  a copy is also kept on mit-mc cpm;ar43:cpmutl VERSION-NUMBERc
  and on [cmuc]ps:<wohl.bar>cpmutl.c.VERSION-NUMBER (for people that can't
    figure out how to use ITS)
  mail will be sent info-cpm announcing new versions

*/

#define version 7
#define when "10-28-82"

/* change log:

 ver   when          who                why
 ---  --------  -------------   --------------------
   2  12-27-81	    wohl@cmuc   allow a trailing * to cross the . in a ufn
   3  12-28-81	    wohl@cmuc   remove refrences to cmu local functions
				honor the record count when reading
   4   2- 9-82      wohl@cmuc   fix a '=> [cpm]' string to be '[cpm] =>'
				put with one filename arg uses it for both
   5   5- 8-82	    wohl@cmuc   initilize extent filler bytes to zero
   6   5-17-82      wohl@cmuc   fix printout of free space (was 2k low)
				add support for user numbers
				add a \n to the interleving off message
   7  10-28-82      mz@gp       for file get, close each file
   8  04-01-83	    wwb@wjh12   make interactive, add new fcns for
				easier interactive, let create handle
				non-cpm disks, ask for conformation on
				create, and various things for lint

Things to (think about) doing:

b) multiple put should skip files with names that are too long or truncate the
   name
c) skip files which are directories (multiple put)

*/