[net.micro.cpm] Old Kaypro disk fix

cpmlist%amsaa@sri-unix.UUCP (03/09/84)

From:      Dave Towson (info-cpm) <cpmlist@amsaa>

Presumably, this was sent to me rather than to the whole list by mistake.

Dave

----- Forwarded message # 1:

Date: Thu, 8 Mar 84 21:04:54 cst
From: garey@ut-ngp.ARPA
Posted-Date: Thu, 8 Mar 84 21:04:54 cst
To: info-cpm-request@AMSAA.ARPA
Subject: Re:  Old Kaypro disk fix

Has this always been the case?  In my Kaypro (one of the first horizontal
drive models the light is on if the drive is selected, whether or not the
drive is running, but the motor shuts off after a certain time with no
further access.  If this motor running at all times is new, you could call
up the dealer and see if it can be fixed cheap, otherwise Kaypro will sell
you a whole new board for $120.  If the A motor running all the time is
inherent in your old model Kaypro, it could be solved with a more up to
date BIOS or a commercial replacement such as KayKey, which allows you to
set when the drive motor shuts off.  Call up Kaypro and ask.  I've found
them to be very responsive.  Within Perfect Writer the motor runs after the
last access for ever if you don't hit a key, but that doesn't sound like
your problem.  Maybe some more technical people can give more specific

----- End of forwarded messages

ANDY%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA (03/14/84)

I have one of the first Kaypros ever produced.  The one with the
vertical drives and brightness control on the front panel.  It has
this nasty habit.  The motor for drive A is always on.  It apparently
doesn't hurt the floppy since head only comes down during an actual
access, but is still bothers me.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

-Andy

young%uci-750a%csnet1@sri-unix.UUCP (03/15/84)

From:  Michal Young <young%uci-750a@csnet1>

The problem may not be hardware.  My Kaypro used to run the drive
motors until a character was read or written to console, I don't
remember which.  For instance Perfect Writer would start them spinning
when it swapped and they would stay on till I typed something.  Then
last spring or so our user group got an updated CP/M and-- voila--
the drives turned off after use.

So-- find someone with a newer Kaypro, and have them format/sysgen
a disk for you.  (Have them copy the whole CP/M disk-- some of the
utilities have improved a bunch.)  Maybe it will work, maybe not,
but it's worth a try.

(If you don't find someone handier, contact me and I'll mail you
a disk).

--Michal Young