[net.micro.cpm] nature of UUCP-Arpanet connection

jrodrig@Mitre-Gateway.ARPA (04/18/84)

From:  jose rodriguez <jrodrig@Mitre-Gateway.ARPA>

Fellow netlanders,

	Concerning the latest msg about the UUCP-Arpanet connection (and with
fears of starting a long discussion in the wrong place) I got a few
questions concerning this connection which I would like someone to answer me
(and I am sure to the net too). The first questions are purelly informative
and the latter ones are more of a "discussion" type.

1) Can arpanet people send msgs to UUCP (and I guess Usenet) sites? Say
through Berkeley? I am asking this because I have been sending msgs to
UUCP sites for more than a year (for different reasons) and never had
any response.

2) Do UUCP people enter the source routing paths manually? You will think
there is some automating software for this.

3) Will the UUCP world be ever an Internet domain? I have seen paths
like "joe@foovax.UUCP", do any mailer implements this?

The following concerns mainly arpanet people:

4) Considering the nature of the UUCP network, (no user  to user e-mail,
small throughput (which arpanet people should worry about!), no restrictions,
etc.) do you consider the UUCP-Arpanet connection usefull or of some value?
Or rewording the above, what was the purpose behind connecting the two
networks in the first place?

ok arpanauts, the ball is in your side,

Jose M. Rodriguez
jrodrig@mitre-gateway
Information Systems Group
Mitre Corp.

wcwells%ucbopal.CC@Ucb-Vax.ARPA (04/18/84)

From:  William C. Wells <wcwells%ucbopal.CC@Ucb-Vax.ARPA>

	Date: 17 Apr 1984 17:40:15 EST (Tuesday)
	From: jose rodriguez <jrodrig@Mitre-Gateway.ARPA>
	Subject: nature of UUCP-Arpanet connection
	To: info-cpm@Brl-Aos.ARPA
	Cc: abn.iscams@Usc-Isid.ARPA, jrodrig@Mitre-Gateway.ARPA

	Fellow netlanders,

	Concerning the latest msg about the UUCP-Arpanet connection
	(and with fears of starting a long discussion in the wrong
	place) I got a few questions concerning this connection which I
	would like someone to answer me (and I am sure to the net too).

Yes you are right, a discussion about Internet/UUCP mail connections
should be elsewhere (eg. in the USENET news group "net.mail")
Here are some answers. (Can we limit future discussion to the USENET
news group "net.micro.cpm" / Internet mail distribution group "INFO-CPM"
connection?)

	The first questions are purelly informative and the latter ones
	are more of a "discussion" type.

	1) Can arpanet people send msgs to UUCP (and I guess Usenet)
	sites? Say through Berkeley? I am asking this because I have
	been sending msgs to UUCP sites for more than a year (for
	different reasons) and never had any response.

Yes. BUT, address formats are different. UUCP addresses require
source routing, eg. host1!host2!host3!hostid!userid
You must know the correct source routing. Note that "USENET"
is not a mail network, but a news distribution system which
may or may not use UUCP connections to forward articles between
USENET news sites.  It is easy to confuse a USENET path
with a UUCP mail address. They are not necessarily the same.

	2) Do UUCP people enter the source routing paths manually?

For most UUCP people, the answer is yes.

	You will think there is some automating software for this.

There is. However the information about UUCP mail connections is
not accurate yet.

	3) Will the UUCP world be ever an Internet domain?

Yes, if they meet the requirements for a top domain name.
A central UUCP name registry has been established. A nameserver is
being developed. UUCP mail connections are in the process of being
mapped.

	I have seen paths like "joe@foovax.UUCP", do any mailer
	implements this?

"user@site.UUCP" is valid in USENET article heading, but not yet
fully implimented for UUCP mail. It is of course, not yet valid
within the Internet mail world.  The unix "sendmail" program
may be configured to permit local use of the UUCP top domain name.

	The following concerns mainly arpanet people:

	4) Considering the nature of the UUCP network, (no user  to
	user e-mail, small throughput (which arpanet people should
	worry about!), no restrictions, etc.) do you consider the
	UUCP-Arpanet connection usefull or of some value?  Or rewording
	the above, what was the purpose behind connecting the two
	networks in the first place?

The USENET news/INFO-CPM connection is useful in that it provides
greater coverage for the discussion of CPM. Whether UUCP/Internet
mail should be interconnected is another issue which I do not think
should be discussed here.

Bill Wells
wcwells@Berkeley.ARPA
ucbvax!wcwells